• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

State of GWR’s IETs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete_uk

Established Member
That godawful electrical buzz at one end of the motor carriages is a known problem with the entire fleet of AT300s. Its apparently some sort of field isolator that prevents signalling equipment interference. Fortunately my poor ears dont have to endure the punishment when running on diesel.

I have read a note somewhere (cant remember where -probably internal) stating a new design was being tested that didnt make anywhere near as much noise

Is that the highish pitch noise that suddenly turns on at around 50mph?
I've only ever traveled on diesel mode so don't know about running under the 'juice'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Even the general cleanliness... GWR's IETs always seem to have had dirty windows, meaning each time the sun hits them you can barely see out.
Glad it's not just me who has noticed this. Every time I see one they seem to be slightly dirtier. Does seem to suggest the current cleaning procedures are insufficient.

The attached picture shows the state of one I was on a few weeks ago. It was taken with the camera right up against the inside of one of the windows. The view is supposed to be of Gloucester station!

I know money is tight but surely a wipe over with a damp cloth wouldn't hurt - I've seen windows with advertising stuck over them that are easier to look out of than this! I wonder if it has anything to do with the paintwork issues @fgwrich mentions (not washing them thoroughly for fear of damaging the exterior finish further?)
20230404_IET_dirty_window.jpg

(Photo taken on board a train, looking out. The outline of a station platform and canopy are just about visible, but the view is heavily obscured by a layer of mud and grime covering the window).

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
You can tell where the trees and lamp posts are at Heaton as many of TPEs 802s seem to have a distinct patch of bird guano in practically the same places on the trains. No carriage washing seems to be getting done on any of TPEs and LNERs azumas especially compared to neville hill's Mk4 sets

Anonymous10

Established Member
Something else that’s becoming noticeable is the worsening external state of the IET fleet, with quite a bit of paint either chipped off or bubbling up already. Just two examples from this morning.
The bubbling implies rust certainly not good news

fgwrich

Established Member
The bubbling implies rust certainly not good news
Wouldn’t be rust (their ally bodies don’t forget) but Aluminium can corrode if the correct paint finish isn’t applied properly. The fact that this is chipping off, bubbling up and falling off suggests Hitachi hasn’t applied either a base protective layer (or primer) properly or not at all. Personally, I don’t believe the problem is entirely down to damage by vegetation, but it is in addition to the damaging paintwork already.

AngusH

Was routine cosmetic external cleaning actually included in the contract?

(As distinct from cleaning to prevent damage)

If it wasn't then the trains are presumably being delivered each day according to spec.

Fidelis

Was routine cosmetic external cleaning actually included in the contract?

(As distinct from cleaning to prevent damage)

If it wasn't then the trains are presumably being delivered each day according to spec.
Yes it is in the contract.
Not sure which depot the unit is from or time of day/month the muddy window was photographed but here in Worcester we complain to WMT that GWR IETs are immaculate especially clean windows compared to any class of WMT rolling Stock

Geoff DC

Maybe cleanliness will be improved when the new Ponsondane sidings are done & they can be cleaned in Penzance

fgwrich

Established Member
Maybe cleanliness will be improved when the new Ponsondane sidings are done & they can be cleaned in Penzance
Unfortunately I doubt Ponsondane will really make a difference. They will need a proper hand scrub now as the dirt has become so engrained - a design flaw with inside fitted windows.

td97

Established Member
I note that Northern's 331 CAF units were previously branded "Cheap As ....", however they seem to have lasted better and don't exhibit the same issues that the Hitachi units are described as experiencing.
Rough riding over S&C, yes, but that was the out-of-the-factory experience and isn't a degradation. No collapsed seats, toilet malfunctions, or overly-bothersome rattles. Short forms are also rare which suggests availability is good.

noddy1878

Established Member
You do realise that both fleets are maintained by Hitachi themselves.
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that! GWR seem to be getting a lot of stick for quite frankly is none of their doing unless I am wrong. Did the Government not dictate the specs (yes the seats included) of the trains? Hitachi maintain them? GWR just run them? They can only run what they are given. Or have I missed something?

GWVillager

I’m glad others have noticed the IET’s condition. Internally, they’re really starting to get quite dirty as well, especially on the 800/0s. Is there any reason for them being so much worse than LNER’s, say, other than just a lack of cleaning?

Dan G

Rode a 802 a couple of weeks ago, it was fine. Clean, quiet, fast and smooth.

I get the impression that for many on this forum, moaning is their hobby.

GWVillager

The 802s are, as some have said, in a better condition generally than the 800s. But I ride them regularly, and they’re notably more worn than some other stock.

northernbelle

Agreed.

While there are some specific issues with IETs (e.g. carpets), on the whole they are presented in a far cleaner condition than what went before.

I believe that when there is an issue it's far more noticeable because it's not a 'given'.

The paint issues they are aware of and there are plans to rectify it eventually

802003 should be back in a few weeks with it’s modifications to hopefully sort the cracking issues

GWVillager

I’m curious about these (@Ashley Hill ‘s photo), there didn’t seem to be any conclusions on why they are there. The brown covers look like the original fabric before they were recovered, what’s going on? Have they just not been replaced?

Attachments

• DFF2A1B1-91E2-482E-ACF8-8C3EDF7263B3.jpeg
    DFF2A1B1-91E2-482E-ACF8-8C3EDF7263B3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
To be honest I’ve been on nearly all of the GWR IETs and these are the only brown seats I’ve seen. I think these were on 800005.

fgwrich

Established Member
I’m curious about these (@Ashley Hill ‘s photo), there didn’t seem to be any conclusions on why they are there. The brown covers look like the original fabric before they were recovered, what’s going on? Have they just not been replaced?
Presumably they are just spare covers left over when the original DfT led mutual versions were junked. Rather than keep the set out for longer than they need (which they are certainly tight for!), they've just chosen to use them albeit hastily applied. Still not a patch on the previous GWR First Class though!

Just found another picture from Plymouth last Friday.

Attachments

• 2ECC5152-C918-4862-A4C0-E2560E59F421.jpeg
    2ECC5152-C918-4862-A4C0-E2560E59F421.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 253
  • 020BFC51-CACA-401F-BC91-54713D621167.jpeg
    020BFC51-CACA-401F-BC91-54713D621167.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 255
Last edited:

Adrian1980uk

We need to remember when comparing get and liner that gwr had them earlier (maybe a year?) And both fleets are likely to be more intensively used than what's gone before. Most newer fleets are smaller than the fleets they replaced

trebor79

Established Member

They're absolutely fine IMO, other than the seats. They weren't too bad when new, but now the cushions have collapsed they are very uncomfortable because you can feel a support bar pressing into the back of your thighs.

irish_rail

Established Member
They're absolutely fine IMO, other than the seats. They weren't too bad when new, but now the cushions have collapsed they are very uncomfortable because you can feel a support bar pressing into the back of your thighs.
I agree. I hate to say it but the carriage ambience is better than the old GWR HSTS with the high backed seats. But the actual seating on IETs needs addressing as with age it has got ALOT worse. There was this idea 5 years ago that the seating would get more comfy with age as more people sat on it softening it up. However the opposite has happened and the base of the cushion on many many seats has worn down to the point it is uncomfortable for 5 minutes, let alone 5 hours. The question is, will anything get done about it?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Once again I was on a GWR 802 yesterday and the dirt was so ingrained on the window you could hardly see out - don't they use carriage washers anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.