• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

State of train toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
glad this ones come up - saved me
starting a new topic. Afraid I must take issue with earlier post Re Scotrails facilities. Not experienced a 380 so no comment, agree the INV bassed 158s are rather good with incidentally a good flush and dryer however my moan is with the 170s - been on 5 of these in last few weeks and each one is bosting similar issues - cubicle area stinks, strong solferus eggy smell when the flush is used, I suspect a retention tank issue and a lack of consumables. It is now reaching the point where scotrail will be getting an email as yesturday I did the 16:53 INV - EDB and was feeling kind of ij fspite being half a coach away from the bog. YC cd very often tø and best iv ever used was on HST

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
When I start an early shift with a unit straight off depot the toilets are spotless with everything working. When a train visits MIA a toilet cleaner now gets on and wipes surfaces and mops the floor. Despite this, due to the foul behaviour of many members of the public the toilets can become disgusting in no time at all. I dread to think what some people's homes are like. It is similar to rubbish on trains. When you are bored of your sandwich and don't want to eat the rest feel free to shove it down the side of the seat - despite being sat next to a clearly marked and completly empty rubbish bin.

Indeed, it's depressing how little respect many rail passengers now seem to have for their own travelling environment, and that of others :roll: As you rightly say, litter is big bugbear with what seems to be at least half of all people who bring some form of food, drink, bags or packaging onto the train deciding to simply leave it wherever they were sat, regardless of the availability of any bins. As for the toilets, I would imagine that the homes of most of these people are probably just as clean and tidy as yours and mine, it's just that when they're using a public facility they don't give a damn :|

trainophile

Established Member
It only takes one person to make a mess then those who follow think well why bother then?

My pet hate in the carriage is discarded chewing gum. I've spent an entire Chester to Liverpool ride trying to pick the damn stuff off my shoes, and yesterday just missed putting my bag down on a lump of it on the seat surrounds.

The ATW loo I used yesterday was swimming with the previous users' yellow liquid, and I had to pump the flush knob several times to make any impression on it. Even then the paper wouldn't go. I don't think the design of these things is up to the job, maybe more so on the older models.

trainophile

Established Member
Those of us who travel on Pacers have to practise our whistle :lol:. Not that it would be heard over the rattling of the train though. I'm surprised they don't shake their bolts loose!

exile

Established Member
This is partly a technology problem. The old dump-the-poop-on-the-tracks design (particularly the ones in Europe that had the flap - or sometimes a direct view of the tracks beneath) tended to be more robust. Airline loo design seems far ahead of trains - I can't remember ever being on a plane with a non-functioning loo.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oh my! Thank goodness I don't live in Pacer land! :)

A Bombardier 379 I went on had a door that didn't close completely, while a 377/5 got stuck half way. So even if you aren't in Pacer land you may soon get to share in the experience!

pemma

Veteran Member
A Bombardier 379 I went on had a door that didn't close completely, while a 377/5 got stuck half way. So even if you aren't in Pacer land you may soon get to share in the experience!

We have sliding door problems as well in the Northern area. The ex-FNW 150s with the DDA toilet has a sliding door which frequently doesn't open.

pemma

Veteran Member
didnt know somf 150s had had a toilet
refit. Does it lose much seating?

The First North Western ones now with Northern had the original BR 3+2 seating prior to refurbishment so they lost some seating for two reasons:
1. A wheelchair accessible toilet is larger than the standard.
2. That part of the train didn't keep 3+2 seating to allow wheelchairs to get to and from the toilet (the rest of the train did.)

If the same thing was done to the FGW or ATW ones that have 2+2 seating then the loss of seats would be less.

It gains one extra seat, surely? :lol:

No it was a replacement toilet not an additional toilet.

Yew

Established Member
Although maybe not the worst, the EMT 156's toilets are pretty bad to say they have just had a big refurb, essensially new panels and flooring, thenthe old toilet (new seat) but the flush, and the sink are pretty bad

Drsatan

Established Member
We have sliding door problems as well in the Northern area. The ex-FNW 150s with the DDA toilet has a sliding door which frequently doesn't open.

Prior to refurbishment the toilet locks for the disabled toilets on several 158s didn't function properly. I discovered that the hard way once! (And no, I won't go into any gory details)

Smudger105e

The drivers on 60s and 66s do not have anywhere to answer the call of nature, and some use the washer bottle, which has a filler in the cab.

And no, it is not just liquid human waste that is found in them...

TheMysticEgg

The drivers on 60s and 66s do not have anywhere to answer the call of nature, and some use the washer bottle, which has a filler in the cab.

And no, it is not just liquid human waste that is found in them...

I was once filming at Spetchley, Worcs and a colas tamper got looped for a XC service to come through and I had panned round to film it stop at the aspect, with the camera rolling the driver climbed out and started having a slash on the front bogey! Hahaha quickly averted the camera but I bet he was thankful for that loop!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Is there any legislation covering the standards of toilet facilities in any passenger carrying transport, such as ferries, air or rail, in the area covered by the British legal system, noting that Scotland may have its own laws.

There will be Health and Safety Regulations, but nothing specific to public toilets.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I avoid toilets on any suburban stock, and many stations. NXEA Mk3 toilets are good, as are HST ones. The toilets at NR stations are awesome though, deffo worth 30p!

As for belts, I can generally leave it done up anyway, the zip is all I need...

ALR - wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much info there!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Blimey, they're not at New Street and Euston! Horrible, depressing places.

Never been in at Euston, but I think the New St ones are OK. Cannon St's are free, and the ones there, and also at Liverpool St and Edinurgh, are the nicest of any I have ever been to...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interesting. What about if you need to go for a number two?

There is no amount of desperation that would make me go on a train, or even in a public toilet. I only ever where a belt with my jeans, and that isn't very often anyway...

All Line Rover

Established Member
There is no amount of desperation that would make me go on a train, or even in a public toilet. I only ever where a belt with my jeans, and that isn't very often anyway...

Turn away if you are eating, but in my opinion the best place to have a No. 2 is on a HST. Why? Because the vestibules are so loud, no one can hear you having one!

(I never like having a No. 2 in public, and would never ever ever have on in "cubicle" style toilets.)

Flamingo

Established Member
This thread really does contain 10% too much information...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Turn away if you are eating, but in my opinion the best place to have a No. 2 is on a HST. Why? Because the vestibules are so loud, no one can hear you having one!

(I never like having a No. 2 in public, and would never ever ever have on in "cubicle" style toilets.)

You are obviously not a HST appreciator then! The HST vestibules are quite possibly the best place on any train in Britain. Droplights with 125 running? Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.