• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poemic

Hi,
I've joined this forum because I am in search of information that your community can, I am sure, help me with. I'm a masters student at De Montfort university studying creative technologies. For my major project I am designing a piece of work related to railway stations in the UK whose address is Station Street. (The project is imaginitively called Station Street......) I am going to produce a mixture of fictional narratives about people and stations, a locative media piece which will encourage passengers to tweet or email their destinations, where they've come from and why they are travelling. I'm also hoping to provied via the website some video footage of specific journeys from the seat of a train.

It is only in the planning stage at the moment, but one fundamental thing that I need is a list of station addresses, so I can identify those with the 'right' address. Once I've done this I am hoping to be able to identify all of the possible destinations that one can travel to from stations in Station St, and especially those where Station Street links to another Station St.

I know this probably sounds a bit unlikely and I'm not a bona fide trainspotter, but love trains and stations and want to use this for a project that will hopefully touch something in the national psyche about the 'romance' of train travel. Any help anyone could give me - pointing me in the right direction for an address list or for a destination list(s) would be really gratefully received. At the moment I am working through the National Rail Enquiries website checking each station for their address one by one which is, shall we say, somewhat painful.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want to know any more, and of course, once my project is finished any help will be credited.

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance!

Poemic (Caroline)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
I use http://www.192.com/ and then look up 'all' roads/streets with that name as part of my research work for caption-writing. I used it just now and found 93 or so Station Streets. Clicking on each will show the nearest station on the map...though there must be numerous where the station is no longer there!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi Caroline,

Are you solely looking for stations on Station Street only, or are you including Station Road, Station Way, etc.?

And is your search only limited to active stations in use for passenger trains, or are you looking at former/abandoned stations too, where the street name still exists?

Established Member
Quite a few stations I can think of have an address of Station Road, less so Station Street.

jd

You might want to start here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/codes/

It will take you a while to go through all the stations though. If you email NR they might be able to give you a csv or excel file with all the addresses in them, in which case if you sorted the list alphabetically by road name you'd get all 'Station...' entries in the same place, which would make it easier to count them.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The closest I've found so far is

http://data.gov.uk/dataset/naptan

Which only gives the eastings & northings of the stations rather than the addresses.

Someone may however have a tool which can relate that to the street they're on.

Poemic

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I'm only interested in Station Street addresses - I appreciate it's not the most populous of the Station addresses but I like the alliteration (I'm a creative, dahhhhling :) )

I have come across quite a few Station Sts with no stations - I think for the purposes of my project they'll have to be active stations, but it's made me think that there mught be some narrative possibility for 'ghost' Station Streets.....

It's a rainy horrible Sunday so I'll be able to spend the day data crunching! Thanks for the leads. If anyone has any other ideas or sources I'd be really pleased if you'd share them with me.

Many thanks

Dolive22

You could always try asking the TOCs (Train Operating Companies) or Network Rail if they would mind giving you a list.

You might also want to try asking a computer science, maths or physics student if they would mind writing some software for you. Try emailing someone in those departments and asking if they know of anyone who wants to write a bit of software to data mine sources and render the information in the form desired by users.

Poemic

Thank you for the suggestions received so far. I've had a minor success in that I've worked backwards so to speak and found that in England and Wales (Scottish rail information is problematic at this point) there are actually only 4 stations with an ACTUAL address of Station Street, whereas there are something like 96 Stations Streets in England Wales and Scotland. This doesn't sound like success but it means I have an early heads up that I'll have to rethink my criteria - which is fine at this stage. Sadly the 4 stations that meet the criteria are stunningly low key and far too close for me to enjoy a train journey to......

FYI if it is of interest, National Rail Enquiries customer service person replied to an email query asking for addresses in excel/.csv format saying that they didn't have any station information. It made me smile quite a lot....... :)

I'll have a think about the computer/maths person - my OH is a geek of this sort plus I have good contacts in our computer science faculty - thanks for the lead.

Established Member
FYI if it is of interest, National Rail Enquiries customer service person replied to an email query asking for addresses in excel/.csv format saying that they didn't have any station information. It made me smile quite a lot....... :)

NRE on the phone isn't too great, with the call centre being in India. I've struggled to get information about train times so they've got no chance of finding information that you need.

Smethwickian

Birmingham New Street has an entrance from Station Street, though I'm 99.9 per cent sure that's not its formal address (which isn't New Street either, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.