• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Rhoose Cardiff International Airport station also has a dedicated shuttle bus which connects the station with the terminal building at the airport of the same name.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Mr W Pedia tells us that although the station closed to regular passenger services in 1964, there was one final passenger working at the old station on 25th June 1965. This was the arrival and departure of the royal train, which conveyed Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh en route to an engagement at Atlantic College. Later, the Royal Party rejoined the train for the journey to Port Talbot (now Port Talbot Parkway) where the Queen was to open the new Afan Lido.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
St Albans Abbey was the second UK railway station to receive a Harrington Hump to improve accessibility. It is a modular and easy-to-install system by which the height of a railway platform can be increased at relatively low cost. The system takes its name from Harrington station on the Cumbrian Coast Line, the location of the first production version.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Woking station features two statues by the British Sculptor Sean Henry - Seated Man (2011) and The Wanderer (2013). This is one example of the many statutes in railway stations around the UK, including a bronze statue of 'Ruswarp' (the border collie dog) on the Southbound platform at Garsdale station on the Settle and Carlisle line. The actual dog belonged to the late Graham Nuttall, who played a prominent role in the campaign to save the Settle and Carlisle Railway in the 1980's.

Springs Branch

Established Member
According to ORR statistics for 2019-20 (i.e. pre-pandemic times), there were 10 entries & exits that year by season ticket holders at Kilgetty.

A good handful of other small National Rail stations were also recorded with 10 season ticket entries & exits - including Dove Holes.

Presumably this means one person bought one weekly season ticket from each of those stations during that year.

Springs Branch

Established Member
The former Midland Railway main line between Chinley and Derby via Bakewell passed just below the ex-LNWR's Buxton line just outside Chapel-en-le-Frith station.

The same line also passed (and an operational stub of that railway still passes) below the LNWR Buxton line in a tunnel deep below Dove Holes station.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The former Midland Railway main line between Chinley and Derby via Bakewell passed just below the ex-LNWR's Buxton line just outside Chapel-en-le-Frith station.

The same line also passed (and an operational stub of that railway still passes) below the LNWR Buxton line in a tunnel deep below Dove Holes station.
Dove Holes was posted two postings ago.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Dove Holes was posted two postings ago.
It was indeed - and it was me who posted it. Possibly an unfortunate consequence of posting on R.UK Forums after sampling a rather nice bottle of red wine (it's later in the day here in Australia than the UK!)

However, good form aside, there's nothing I can see in the rules of this quiz which precludes this. The parallel Settlement Association quiz, of course, has its "rule of three" which would invalidate the post if it occurred there.