• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station association

Springs Branch

Established Member
In the days when an annual hop-picking holiday in Kent was 'a thing' amongst working-class Londoners, special Hop Pickers' Trains were provided from London Bridge (often running in the early hours of the morning) to destinations such as Wateringbury and Marden.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
As a staunch commuter railhead, a high fraction (51.4%) of the total entries & exits at Staplehurst were by season ticket holders during 2019-20.
In the same pre-pandemic period, ORR statistics indicate an identical ratio of season ticket holders used Haslemere.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yatton was opened in 1841 by the Bristol and Exeter Railway. It was a junction for Clevedon and Cheddar - both of which are closed.
I'm afraid there doesn't appear to be a valid connection here with the previous station. The aim in this game (and its sister game Settlement Association) is to identify a common link between your new location and that stated in the previous successful post - hope this helps. I've struck through your entry for now to help other players follow the thread clearly.
Petersfield is also a DfT category C2 station that was opened by the London and South Western Railway on its Portsmouth Direct Line in 1859.
Holmwood is another station in the South East which possesses a Grade II-listed signal box in the immediate vicinity.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Birkenhead North station was built by the Wirral Railway, replacing their earlier terminus at Wallasey Bridge Road (a short distance away) which had opened in 1866. The station was originally known as Birkenhead Docks and opened on 2 January 1888 as through station with Birkenhead Park station becoming the new terminus.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Daisy Hill station is one of two stations serving the town of Westhougton in the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton, Greater Manchester; the other one is Westhougton.

Springs Branch

Established Member
In the late 19th century, Oban station was the first location on Britain's railways to use the electric token system of working on single lines.

Although historically quite widespread, electric token working has now been superseded by more modern signalling systems. One remaining outpost is on the Stranraer line south of the station at Girvan.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Presumably on account of Frinton-on-Sea's large retiree community, there's an old railway joke about a purported sign at Liverpool Street station saying:-
"Harwich for the Continent. Frinton for the Incontinent"

The Harwich referred to in this jest is today's Harwich International.