• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations far away from the towns they serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Established Member
Saunderton station is about mid way between the villages of Bledlow Ridge and Bradenham. Saunderton village is actually nearer to Princes Risborough station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oxford seems quite far from the city centre however not too far to walk.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Upholland Station is so far away from Upholland your probably better getting off at Orrell and Walking up Alma Hill as to Upholland Centre its only a 15 minute Walk.

I am glad that you saw my posting about Upholland. The seminar was in June 1986 and the weather forecast that day was for hot and sunny weather, so I thought .......... "Why not travel by train"

It took far longer than I expected...both ways. Never, never again will Upholland see me on its platforms. I will never forget that day as long as I live.

I suppose it is well sited for anyone living in the East Pimbo area of Skelmersdale....but that is about all that you can say in its favour :roll:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Lapworth station is in the village of Kingswood. Lapworth is about two miles away. Apparently they called the station Lapworth because there was already a Kingswood on the network.

I think the "parkway" answers might not be in the spirit of the thread. Surely a parkway station implies that it is meant to be used as a park and ride rather than a place to get off at and continue your journey by foot?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In that case, surely all those "xxxxx Road" and "xxxx Lane" entries would be disqualified as well, since the suffix surely indicates it is located on a road leading to the said town / village rather than within the town / village itself?

If not, then you could probably take London Road ( Guildford ) as an extreme example since it's about 30 miles from London - which is probably why they sensibly added the Guildford bit in brackets...

thefab444

Established Member
If not, then you could probably take London Road ( Guildford ) as an extreme example since it's about 30 miles from London - which is probably why they sensibly added the Guildford bit in brackets...

That was mainly to distinguish it from London Road station in Brighton.

caliwag

Don't think it's been mentioned...Howden. There used to be a town centre station, but of course they shut that...Hull and Barnsley. Don't you just hate accountants?

SS4

Established Member

Peterborough FC play at London Road which I understand is a fair distance from London :lol:

Lichfield Trent Valley is quite far from both Lichfield and the Trent Valley if my geography serves me correctly (although Lichfield City is right in the middle). I don't know if it can be counted though since it was really built as a junction between the TV line and XCity lines

andchafri

[Bearsted (a fair trek to village centre in itself) supposedly being the station for Leeds Castle:
[There are actually two other stations closer.[/QUOTE]

Bearsted Station is about 100 yards from the centre of the village, dont be confused looking at a map Roseacre and Madginford are parts of the area but are not Bearsted. As for the bus connection to Leeds Castle Bearsted has a better train service than Hollingbourne and is also staffed. Its also the home of the bus company!

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In that case, surely all those "xxxxx Road" and "xxxx Lane" entries would be disqualified as well, since the suffix surely indicates it is located on a road leading to the said town / village.

Well, Peter, would you say that was the reason why Manchester London Road station had to be changed to Manchester Piccadilly to avoid confusion?

I think London is a fair distance "down the road" from Manchester.:D:D

And where does this leave Manchester Oxford Road:cry::cry:

CheekyBandit

Bearsted Station is about 100 yards from the centre of the village, dont be confused looking at a map Roseacre and Madginford are parts of the area but are not Bearsted.

Bearsted Station is about 100 yards from Bearsted Green NOT the centre of the village, which I consider to be the Ashford Road (A20) shops near Roseacre (which all have a Bearsted, Maidstone address). The supermarket on Egremont Road that my family have shopped at for over 30 years has been the Bearsted branch of International, Gateway, Somerfield, Co-operative Food over these 30 or so years. Also on Egremont Road is the office of Bearsted Parish Council which I don't think can be outside Bearsted.

As for the bus connection to Leeds Castle Bearsted has a better train service than Hollingbourne and is also staffed. Its also the home of the bus company!

But Hollingbourne is closer (contrary to whatever Southeastern might claim) and also offers a connecting bus service. Harrietsham is also closer to Leeds Castle than Bearsted and offers a more frequent connecting bus service than either Bearsted or Hollingbourne.

RPM

Established Member
I think the "parkway" answers might not be in the spirit of the thread. Surely a parkway station implies that it is meant to be used as a park and ride rather than a place to get off at and continue your journey by foot?

Parkways are a bit of a mixed bag though, there's no consistency. Some are town centre located (Didcot, Port Talbot), others are miles from the town they purport to serve (Bodmin, Bristol), whilst others are named after a general locale rather than a town or village (Aylesbury Vale, East Midlands).

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Woul Stourbridge Junction qualify? It's a good 5-10 minutes walk (or a class 139 ride to the town?)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I didn't think London was any sort of distance "down the road" from Manchester as I don't remember ever getting a down service towards London. But what do I know?

Someone's pedantic ;). Up to London and Down to the North always used to confuse me, it gets even worse with Up to Derby etc!

gnolife

Established Member
Well, Peter, would you say that was the reason why Manchester London Road station had to be changed to Manchester Piccadilly to avoid confusion?

Manchester Oxford Road is a good one for this! its a good trek down Oxford Street to Oxford Road :D

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
5-10 minutes walk? I live further than that from my local station and don't claim to live in a different settlement to the station.

Tbh the nearest settlement is Oldswinford/Pedmore at Stourbridge Junction (Oldswinford being spitting distance)

Lampshade

Established Member

Especially given London Road/Piccadilly is on the A6 which only goes as far as Luton ;)

Oxford Road runs parallel to the A34 which does go to Oxford so it's sort of right... ish.

Murphyen

Leuchars is a good 5 miles away from St Andrews, which is the town it primarily serves!

andchafri

Bearsted Station is about 100 yards from Bearsted Green NOT the centre of the village, which I consider to be the Ashford Road (A20) shops near Roseacre (which all have a Bearsted, Maidstone address). The supermarket on Egremont Road that my family have shopped at for over 30 years has been the Bearsted branch of International, Gateway, Somerfield, Co-operative Food over these 30 or so years. Also on Egremont Road is the office of Bearsted Parish Council which I don't think can be outside Bearsted.

But Hollingbourne is closer (contrary to whatever Southeastern might claim) and also offers a connecting bus service. Harrietsham is also closer to Leeds Castle than Bearsted and offers a more frequent connecting bus service than either Bearsted or Hollingbourne.

Bearsted Green is the centre of the village! Ashford Road and Egremont Road are in Madginford which is a 1960's creation. The stationwas there serving the village many many years before that! Incidentally I live in Madginford and the people of Bearsted regard us as outsiders!

The only bus service from Hollingbourne to Leeds Castle is the infrequent service 13 which does not actually serve the station. The bus from Harrietsham is only every two hours and only serves the A20 whereas the dedicated link from Bearsted can be hourly. Check out Spot Hire timetables

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I didn't think London was any sort of distance "down the road" from Manchester as I don't remember ever getting a down service towards London. But what do I know?

Rather than accept that all roads lead to London, like Dick Whittington and his cat, I take the view that people in London say to Manchester people when they are visiting all London attractions..."Are you from up there".

Using the same logic, I would always say that I go DOWN to London, as Manchester is geographically FURTHER NORTH than London and I would say that I go UP to Edinburgh from Manchester, as Manchester is geographically FURTHER SOUTH than Edinburgh.

This is my own logic and as Mrs. Slocombe used to say in "Are you being served?"......I am unanimous in that!!" :D:D

Last edited:

robertclark125

Established Member
Leuchars is a good 5 miles away from St Andrews, which is the town it primarily serves!

Maybe so, but it's called Leuchars for st Andrews, or was in the 1980s and 1990s. And as it is called Leuchars, and is designed to serve Leuchars, it's just a short walk away.

Tain, on the far north line, is a fair bit away from the town centre even. It's actually up a sttep hill, and not well signposted.

And what about Exhibition Centre? Good 5 minute walk at least to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.