• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations rebranded to Great British Railways design / Rail Alphabet 2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

450.emu

"AngloRail - Hyns Horn Sowsnek - England's Railway" anyone??
Greater Anglia won't be happy... just call it British Rail. I doubt people will be calling it great when there's downed wires somewhere one hot summer...

Will GBR start buying franchises abroad, the same way other state railways run most of our services at present?

py_megapixel

Established Member

Mrwerdna1

Maybe it's because I've been living on the continent for too long, but what I care about most of all is not what the individual designs look like (frankly, one could argue that this RA2 sign is alright, where others are perhaps a bit bland or ugly, or even both). What matters most to me is *consistency*. In my view, there should be one entirely universal, standardised design. Could it be flawed? Sure. Those flaws can then be improved in the next roll-out. But what bugs me more than anything else is inconsistency. It's just so sad to see how even these new supposedly standardised RA2 signs differ greatly depending on the location. It is simply not good enough.

thomalex

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 15.39.12.pngScreenshot 2022-07-07 at 15.40.33.png

They should have used the Mobility Assistance symbol and somehow they've also got the wrong Information symbol. Apart from that this is one of the best I've seen yet.

EDIT: So it's the Tourist Information symbol they've used which it may well be, if so however it should be labelled properly

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 15.44.15.png

Last edited:

Mat17

My only wish is that they fatten up the lettering a little, simply to make it easier to read from a distance.

Having been in York station quite a bit recently, these look very good in person. Clear, readable from both a distance and up close. They’ll need to keep on top of cleaning though

jhy44

Couple more new ones from York (apparently the whole station is being redone)

View attachment 117530View attachment 117531

Source: https://twitter.com/GarethDennis/status/1546533521124106242
Love it! Shows just how much difference it makes when they're done correctly and using high-quality materials.

I had the 'pleasure' of seeing the ones at Truro this weekend, they look cheaply done and poor; these York examples put them to shame.

I wish they'd always number the exits though; its far easier and clearer to say 'use Exit 2' rather than 'use the Exit for Holgate Road', especially for people whose first language may not be English.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Love it! Shows just how much difference it makes when they're done correctly and using high-quality materials.

I had the 'pleasure' of seeing the ones at Truro this weekend, they look cheaply done and poor; these York examples put them to shame.

I wish they'd always number the exits though; its far easier and clearer to say 'use Exit 2' rather than 'use the Exit for Holgate Road', especially for people whose first language may not be English.
Puzzles me - if done by numbers then you have to have some indication of what the exit numbers mean. Anyone who is that familiar will not need to read the signs to find an exit anyway. North Exit and South Exit (for or whatever) might be more meaningful for those with a sense of direction.

thomalex

Puzzles me - if done by numbers then you have to have some indication of what the exit numbers mean. Anyone who is that familiar will not need to read the signs to find an exit anyway. North Exit and South Exit (for or whatever) might be more meaningful for those with a sense of direction.

Best way would be to do it like on the Underground, so Way out (to City Centre 1)

jhy44

I agree, that's what I meant apologies, having both, and (like on the tube) lots of maps of the station around the concourse which then show where those exits are in relation to the street map.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They should have used the Mobility Assistance symbol and somehow they've also got the wrong Information symbol. Apart from that this is one of the best I've seen yet.

EDIT: So it's the Tourist Information symbol they've used which it may well be, if so however it should be labelled properly
I wonder how many places there are across the whole network that really need two different information symbols? Could it be achieved with one symbol but different words?

omnicity4659

I wonder how many places there are across the whole network that really need two different information symbols? Could it be achieved with one symbol but different words?
The italicised i for tourist information is used nationally on road signs and other settings, it makes sense from a wayfinding point of view to have different symbols, especially if tourists don't speak English as their first language.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The italicised i for tourist information is used nationally on road signs and other settings, it makes sense from a wayfinding point of view to have different symbols, especially if tourists don't speak English as their first language.
So I understand. But what I’m asking is at York, is that sign really leading you to a tourist information desk, or to a railway information desk that’s using the wrong pictograms? I can‘t tell.

XAM2175

Established Member
That's definitely not RA (1 or 2). Not sure what it is though.
Looks like an old old WAGN / c2c sign, not sure what font they used though!
They have replaced the font and symbols with the new ones. Here's a comparison:
I'm going to disagree with the original assessment: the symbols on the new signs are the correct ones from the NR Wayfinding Manual and the typeface does appear to be the medium weight of RA2.

Skimble19

Established Member
They have replaced the font and symbols with the new ones. Here's a comparison:
So they have, how odd! Slightly amusing that the information ‘i’ actually looks more dated in its replacement than the original..

Can’t help but think that font looks better on the dark blue background compared to the GBR black on white examples.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The old and new on one sign noted at Liskeard. New vinyl over the Regional Railways sign. Clearly this does not work. Interestingly the old FGW and Wessex stickers covering the old RR branding would have had to have been peeled off to put the new one on.
457A6A42-1F0D-4880-BCB0-FBAF917C7498.jpeg

JaJaWa

Established Member
The old and new on one sign noted at Liskeard. New vinyl over the Regional Railways sign. Clearly this does not work. Interestingly the old FGW and Wessex stickers covering the old RR branding would have had to have been peeled off to put the new one on.
View attachment 117658
There’s nothing in the ”GBR design” or Rail Alphabet 2 there