• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations Where Passengers Have to Cross the Track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dawg

Pretty sure Gathurst is on the Wigan-Southport L&Y line - as are some of the others - Meols Cop?

Found this lovely old pic of Lowgill on the Lowgill - Ingleton - Clapham line taken in the 1940's - health and safety? pfff

Green Lane

Pretty sure Gathurst is on the Wigan-Southport L&Y line - as are some of the others - Meols Cop?

Gathurst - passengers walk alongside Gathurst Road, underneath the railway bridge to access the platform on the other side:-
800px-Gathurst_railway_station_%284%29.JPG

Meols Cop - single island platform, with steps leading down from the main road:-
450px-Meols_Cop_railway_station_-_DSC06368.JPG

The one I was going to say, Ince & Elton has already been mentioned:-
450px-Ince_and_Elton_railway_station_%2810%29.JPG

Last edited:

David Barrett

Thorne South is another one.

Not any more now that the already mentioned structure engineered by Gustave Eiffel has been erected, but Crowle Central is which now merits a 20MPH TSR on the Down Line because of curvature and sighting issues, along with Market Rasen and Thornton Abbey hereabout.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
However there will soon be a set of lifts fitted to the footbridge.

I trust you use the word "soon" loosely? The lift construction seems to have been at a complete standstill for about six months.

It's not just disabled who have to cross the line - parents with children in buggies, the infirm elderly, and indeed anyone with suitcases too large or heavy to carry over the bridge, have to do so too.

We live in hope :roll: . They threw one up in Leominster in a few weeks, so goodness knows what the problem at Hereford is.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Normanton used to be light controlled, but I think there's a bridge there now.

Indeed there is, and being an island the crossing was used by travellers in both directions. Nearby Woodlesford also had a foot crossing to access the Pontefract/Normanton direction services until a bridge was provided a few years back. Don't think there's any left in West Yorkshire other than Streethouse and Featherstone, which don't really count anyway as they're also road crossings.

Gathursty

Established Member
Gathurst - passengers walk alongside Gathurst Road, underneath the railway bridge to access the platform on the other side:-

I like how well the stream under the bridge has been caught in the picture. :P I think Gathurst could do with a footbridge or a barrow crossing, although on second thoughts, you may get the odd college student who may be late and be careless.

Green Lane

I like how well the stream under the bridge has been caught in the picture. :P I think Gathurst could do with a footbridge or a barrow crossing, although on second thoughts, you may get the odd college student who may be late and be careless.

Yes it was a memorable day for me - 2nd November 2013. I had initially alighted at Parbold and as I walked up Parbold Hill going towards Appley Bridge I was caught in the midst of an extremely heavy downpour for which I was unprepared to say the least. I very nearly abandoned the entire rest of the walk at that point. Funny thing was though, by the time I got to Appley Bridge station, the sun came out and it remained windy and so I completely dried off again. Although as can be seen in the Gathurst picture, there was still a lot of water around throughout the afternoon.

What I didn't know when I took that picture though was that there was another band of extremely heavy rain still on its way. After later visiting Orrel station on the Kirkby branch, I was later walking past the shops in Pemberton and what was easily the heaviest rain I have been out in in several years came down sideways in huge ripples as I was buffeted along by the heavy winds. My umbrella and kagool where not exactly effective in those conditions. By the time I got to Wigan Wallgate, I was pretty soaked and couldn't wait to get back into a nice warm train, in the event the last Kirkby-bound train of the day was delayed by 25 minutes due to earlier signalling problems but at least it turned up!

Sorry for the ramblings which probably belong in the trip report section. But it's funny how posting the above photos brings back the memories again. :D

Last edited:

Dawg

Meols Cop - single island platform, with steps leading down from the main road:-
450px-Meols_Cop_railway_station_-_DSC06368.JPG

There are others out on the Ormskirk plain that might have them. I know Gathurst has the underpass which incidentally had a mineral railway through it in the mid 19th Century - Orrell coalfield to the canal... But I was certain it still had the wooden plank crossing between platforms... Probably removed....

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Normanton used to be light controlled, but I think there's a bridge there now.

Yes, both Normanton and Woodlesford used to have light controlled crossings but both have had footbridges constructed in the last year or so.

Deepgreen

Established Member
There is a little-known footpath that crosses the railway just north-east of Clapham Junction, where you have to wait for all 19 lines to be clear to cross. There is quite a build-up of skeletons now!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Shelford, just south of Cambridge, has all passengers wishing to use the opposite platform use the road level crossing (full barriers, CCTV controlled) with no footbridge provided. Off peak there's one stopping service and three passing through non-stop every hour in each direction, plus freight. Must often catch people out, meaning they miss their train. Ticket office on one side, but there is a machine on the other.

Green Lane

There are others out on the Ormskirk plain that might have them. I know Gathurst has the underpass which incidentally had a mineral railway through it in the mid 19th Century - Orrell coalfield to the canal... But I was certain it still had the wooden plank crossing between platforms... Probably removed....

Thanks for the info - I didn't know about the mineral railway!

Certainly there are a few stations on the Southport-Wigan stretch where passengers must use the road level crossing. New Lane, Bescar Lane and Hoscar spring to mind as that sort of station. Also I am reminded of Hykeham in Linconshire. i.e. platforms staggered across a level crossing.

theshillito

Cuddington

Cuddington has a path to the footbridge from both platforms, so the option not to cross the tracks is there. Surprised they haven't got rid of the barrow crossing yet after Northwich.

Ince & Elton

This is the only station I've seen with the red and green light setup for a barrow crossing. There may be others out there though, but the ones I've seen have all been a "keep an ear out for train horns" job.

I don't know why Gathurst and Meols Cop were mentioned. The thread title is "Stations Where Passengers Have to Cross the Track", which says barrow crossings only to me.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Cuddington has a path to the footbridge from both platforms, so the option not to cross the tracks is there. Surprised they haven't got rid of the barrow crossing yet after Northwich.

This is the only station I've seen with the red and green light setup for a barrow crossing. There may be others out there though, but the ones I've seen have all been a "keep an ear out for train horns" job.

I think the one I started with, Thurston, has the red and green light set up.

wbbminerals

South Milford has been mentioned, but the foot crossing has closed fairly recently.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think the one I started with, Thurston, has the red and green light set up.

As does Penistone. It seems that stations in PTE areas are less likely to still have this arrangement, PNS being the only example that springs to mind. Presumably the subsidised fares boost passenger numbers, which then boosts the business case for improvements?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
PTE areas are generally more populous, and probably have more frequent train services which also increase the numbers of passengers. Numbers of people crossing and numbers of trains passing are two of the key factors that will go into the risk assessment that decides whether it's worth spending money on a footbridge.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Shelford, just south of Cambridge, has all passengers wishing to use the opposite platform use the road level crossing (full barriers, CCTV controlled) with no footbridge provided. Off peak there's one stopping service and three passing through non-stop every hour in each direction, plus freight. Must often catch people out, meaning they miss their train. Ticket office on one side, but there is a machine on the other.

Foxton is the same, and Waterbeach is worse (from a safety point of view) since it's an AHB crossing, so nothing to physically stop people chancing it if they're late for the train....

Last edited:

klewer

Stratford, according to the stupid woman who crossed the tracks a couple of weeks ago when she realised her train was departing from Platform 10a rather than 10. Words failed me.

Last edited:

frodshamfella

Established Member
Cuddington. .if you use car park and want to get off a Manchester train..you can avoid it and network rail says you should go up to road bridge and round..but no one does. Ince and Elton is another one I can think of you must cross the line from the Helsby direction.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Stratford, according to the stupid woman who crossed the tracks a couple of weeks ago when she realised her train was departing from Platform 10a rather than 10. Words failed me.

Stupid to cross the tracks like that, but the platform numbering, as has been discussed ad infinitum, is beyond confusing at Stratford. Especially the 10/10a nonsense.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sorry if it has been mentioned before but off the top of my head the stations with crossings on the Borderlands line are Pen-y-ffordd, Buckley, Cefn-y-bedd and Hawarden Bridge.

There might be more but those are all I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.