• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations which have been relocated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Many original 19th Century stations have been closed and slightly relocated over the years (is there a list of these anywhere on the web?). Which current station is the furthest from the original station bearing the same name?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Wigan Wallgates moved twice, when it originally opened in 1848 with services to Bolton it was parallel to North Western where the car park and that stone pub/club with a gated backyard was later built, in 1855 services to Southport were added and it moved much further on to where the Wigan Sidings are today, finally in 1896 it moved to its present location gaining the Wallgate moniker in 1924.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Chapeltown, Sheffield moved about 100 yards. The old platforms are still extant.

If we're being silly, the original Huddersfield station was at Cooper Bridge on the Calder Valley line, a good 3-4miles away from the town centre and current station!

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
Wigan Wallgates moved twice, when it originally opened in 1848 with services to Bolton it was parallel to North Western where the car park and that stone pub/club with a gated backyard was later built, in 1855 services to Southport were added and it moved much further on to where the Wigan Sidings are today, finally in 1896 it moved to its present location gaining the Wallgate moniker in 1924.

I still think the original location would serve the customer better as facilities could be shared between the two stations and changing from one to the other would be easier.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When Long Eaton station was Beechinged, Sawley Junction became the nearest station to the town and was renamed as Long Eaton. It is about a mile from the old station and the town centre.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Merthyr was moved in the 90s with the branch shortened in order to build a new Tesco behind the stop block. A run round loop was taken out at the same time.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that I am right in saying that the original Cathays station in Cardiff was on a different line (Rhymney Valley) to the one that the current station is (Rhondda Valley).

This meant that there was / is a distance of maybe half a mile between the two stations. The remains of the platforms of the original station used to be visible, but I don't know whether they still are.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Leigh on Sea station was rebuilt on a new site about maybe 800 metres from the original in the 1930s. (The original station, but not the platforms, is still in place).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Cheating perhaps, but "Old Trafford" station in BR days is now (on Metrolink) named Trafford Bar. The present day Old Trafford was formerly Warwick Road under BR.

Seaeagle

Rochester has had a couple of stations within a few hundred yards of each other, the latest one opened just over a month ago.

TBY-Paul

I think the oldest one would be Stockton. The current station is about a mile from the original station.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The original Deighton station was on the Kirkburton branch, just after it left the LNWR Transpennine line at a junction on the site of the present day Deighton which opened in the early 1980s. The archway under Whitacre Street can be seen just beyond the current station as can the abutments of the bridge over the A62.

Veteran Member
Swanley Junction was also moved nearer London on electrification, and IIRC Nunhead also, while Eltham Well Hall was moved (and Eltham Park closed) for road building.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Haddenham moved towards Bicester.

You can still clearly see the old down platform at the old station from the window of passing trains. It's about 500 yards south of the current station, not far from an overbridge, it's very easy to see if you are stopping at Haddenham & Thame Parkway as you just look out of the window (left hand side in direction of travel) when the train is slowing down to stop. I believe that overbridge is called Station Road which now might confuse people in Haddenham looking for the station! :lol:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You can still clearly see the old down platform at the old station from the window of passing trains. It's about 500 yards south of the current station, not far from an overbridge, it's very easy to see if you are stopping at Haddenham & Thame Parkway as you just look out of the window (left hand side in direction of travel) when the train is slowing down to stop. I believe that overbridge is called Station Road which now might confuse people in Haddenham looking for the station! :lol:

The old station car park is now a small grassy public park - but tree growth means it is no good for observing trains; on the other hand the old overbridge is since the parapet is not too high.

steamybrian

Established Member
Swanley Junction was also moved nearer London on electrification, and IIRC Nunhead also, while Eltham Well Hall was moved (and Eltham Park closed) for road building.

In the South East other recent resitings are-
Crawley- adjacent site.
The ramp ends of the old station are adjacent to the ramp ends of the new station
Nunhead and South Bermondsey
In the 1920s both stations were resited short distances from the original
Uckfield
In 1991 was resited the other side of the level crossing.
PolegateWas resited twice. The present (third station is on the site of the first station)
The second station was about 400 yards away.?
Gatwick Airport
The first station closed in 1958 when the present Gatwick Airport station opened about 1400 yards( 0.8 miles) north. Unusual in the airport was resited as well!!

Last edited:

Veteran Member
There will be a fair number of places where an original terminus station was replaced by a through station on a new site - obvious examples are Oxford , Birmingham and York - it's a moot point where a resiting ends and replacement begins.

Bevan Price

Established Member
St. Helens station moved several times as the railway system developed. The first station was somewhere near the location of the current St. Helens RLFC ground, Langtree Park. The second station was nearer the town centre, at Raven Street. The third station consisted of part of the west end of the current station. The fourth station is on the site of the current station (now called St. Helens Central), although the buildings have been renewed twice. Originally known just as St. Helens station, sources say it only was renamed St. Helens Shaw St. in March 1949 -- however that appears to have been merely a formal recognition of the "St. Helens Shaw St." name used in Bradshaw & other timetables for over 40 years.

Lea Green, closed 1955 was replaced by a new Lea Green station a few years ago, located about ¾ mile to the east (and no longer in the Lea Green district).

Some sources say that Rainhill - once called Kendricks Cross - was a short distance east of the current Rainhill station.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that I am right in saying that the original Cathays station in Cardiff was on a different line (Rhymney Valley) to the one that the current station is (Rhondda Valley).

This meant that there was / is a distance of maybe half a mile between the two stations. The remains of the platforms of the original station used to be visible, but I don't know whether they still are.

From memory, these remains were visible from the Crwys Road bridge, but it's a while since I last looked so, as I say above, I don't know whether they are still there.

I also don't know where the access to the old station was. There's a couple of side streets just off Crwys Road, but none of them look like obvious candidates.

455driver

Veteran Member
Barnes (BNS) seems to have been relocated to Birmingham going by the number of times people put BNS when they actually mean BHM (Birmingham New Street)! :lol:

341o2

Established Member
In cornwall, both the original Looe and St Ives stations have been replaced with new "basic" stations.
The one at looe is some 200 yards short of the original, at St Ives the original station site is now a car park

Veteran Member
Lea Green, closed 1955 was replaced by a new Lea Green station a few years ago, located about ¾ mile to the east (and no longer in the Lea Green district).

In which case it seems to win the prize for greatest distance, which the OP asked.

Traveller54

Milliken Park, original station closed 1966, site of its goods yard now a bus depot, reopened 1989 a little further southwest on other side of the bridge.

steamybrian

Established Member
In which case it seems to win the prize for greatest distance, which the OP asked.

Gatwick Airport station being moved 0.8 miles (some references make it 0.85 miles) may be more.!

Finally can we consider Tenterden on the KESR.
The first station named Tenterden opened in 1900
In 1903 it was renamed Rolvenden when the present Tenterden Town was opened one and half miles away. Do we count this as a resiting.!

matchmaker

Established Member
The original Lochluichart station is now quite a few metres under water! A 2 mile deviation on embankment and in cuttings plus two bridges, one of 100 feet and another of 36 feet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.