• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations which should close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its a good 15 minute walk, but still the closest to the stadium. Does get well used on matchdays too (have used it a few times).

Think Pevensey Bay and Doleham should be shut down in my neck of the woods. Pevensey Bay is a long walk along the A259 (which i dont think has a pavement along either) and Pevensey is served by Pevensey and Westham.

Doleham has literally nothing there, be interesting to see how many used it last year.

It should be renamed Deritend, it is very misleading :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
Breich is an obvious example. It only gets a few trains a day and has a tiny annual passenger usage count (68 in 2010/11!), while the nearby stations at Fauldhouse and Addiewell see much more passenger use (over 43,000 and over 22,000 in 2010/11, respectively) and an hourly service.

No doubt someone's mentioned them already, but several stations in Angus would also be prominent contenders. Barry Links had 74 passengers in 2010/11 while Golf Street had 122; meanwhile, Carnoustie station, which is about a couple of miles from Barry Links and less than a mile from Golf Street, had over 91,000. It seems bizarre, but maybe I'm missing something.

I totally agree - I'm a big supporter of the railways, but we have to accept that some things aren't worth "saving" - better to focus resources where the demand is.

12CSVT

Established Member
No doubt someone's mentioned them already, but several stations in Angus would also be prominent contenders. Barry Links had 74 passengers in 2010/11 while Golf Street had 122; meanwhile, Carnoustie station, which is about a couple of miles from Barry Links and less than a mile from Golf Street, had over 91,000. It seems bizarre, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'd guess the stations north of Dundee would have far higher patronage if they had a proper service, and at times people want to travel.

DJ_K666

Although Dilton Marsh (station) is actually more central to Westbury than Westbury station.

Not that Westbury is a particularly big town anyway. (Its growth is stunted by Trowbridge and Warminster on either side of it.)

I've never seen the point in Holton Heath myself. It serves a caravan park, basically.

John Betjeman wrote a poem about Dilton Marsh Halt

Was it worth keeping the Halt open,
We thought as we looked at the sky
Red through the spread of the cedar-tree,
With the evening train gone by?
Yes, we said, for in summer the anglers use it,
Two and sometimes three
Will bring their catches of rods and poles and perches
To Westbury, home for tea. '''
There isn't a porter. The platform is made of sleepers.
The guard of the last train puts out the light
And high over lorries and cattle the Halt unwinking
Waits through the Wiltshire night.
O housewife safe in the comprehensive churning
Of the Warminster launderette!
O husband down at the depot with car in car-park!
The Halt is waiting yet. ''
And when all the horrible roads are finally done for,
And there's no more petrol left in the world to burn,
Here to the Halt from Salisbury and from Bristol
Steam trains will return.

Status
Not open for further replies.