• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with just one platform...that could really do with two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does this involve bringing a double-track line down to a single line for a station? That doesn't make much sense to me. Can anyone explain the rationale?
Rationalisation? Only one platform required, no need for overbridge?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Maryport as far as I'm aware has always been the way it is
Not the first station in the town, but you are otherwise correct, I believe. The present station was opened in 1860 and the single platform was once 1000 feet in length, apparently. At Maryport, it's what's on the platform that's been significantly rationalized.

alistairlees

Established Member
Does this involve bringing a double-track line down to a single line for a station? That doesn't make much sense to me. Can anyone explain the rationale?
At Malton there was an island platform that existed between the Scarborough-bound line and the York-bound line; passengers for York had to cross to this island platform. I believe it was by a movable bridge or similar, and that there wasn't a footbridge (happy to be corrected). The island platform was demolished (in the 1960s?) leaving all stopping trains in both directions going through what was previously the Scarborough-bound platform. In the regular timetable I don't think anything was non-stop through Malton in the 1970s and 1980s, but there was plenty of non-stop services in both directions on summer Saturdays.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Castleford.

Having 2 platforms would reduce the knock-on effects when one train is late, facilitate a through service to York and reduce the number of people getting on a train going the wrong way. And the platform is already there.
Yonks ago there was a plan to move the bus station next to the rail station but there were land issues (someone didn't do the paperwork properly), but I think even that just had the one platform still.

"Service to York" is probably why no-one wants to commit to reopening P2, even though you wouldn't need a footbridge (there's level access from Cambridge Street and the underpass).

Parallel

Established Member
Frome could probably do with a second platform, as some of the timings can be pretty tight with clearing the single line, especially if there is some late running. There actually is a second platform but no access or track... The whole loop could probably do with being double tracked, then some of the semi fast Paddington - Exeter trains could call, and some Westbury terminators could be extended to Frome to give it a better service without throwing the punctuality of the line into chaos.

al_557

Corby seems silly to have redoubled the route to the station and still have just one platform.
Build a new bridge so Polesworth can once again have two platforms and reinstate a regular service

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not the first station in the town, but you are otherwise correct, I believe. The present station was opened in 1860 and the single platform was once 1000 feet in length, apparently. At Maryport, it's what's on the platform that's been significantly rationalized.

Was the first station similarly arranged or was it more conventional?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not seen any photos of the original 1840 Maryport station. It was, however, I understand, located in a different part of the town, adjacent to what is now Jubilee Terrace on the A596. Looking at old OS maps of this part of Maryport from the 1860s (it doesn't look like the building was demolished immediately after the new 1860 station opened nearer the town centre), the original 1840 station (if I've got the right place) appears to have been a two track terminus building with a shed roof built over the top of it, and the buffer stops in the open air at the South East corner of the site. Obviously, this is just my interpretation from looking at the old OS maps.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looks like the original 1840 station in Maryport was still in situ in the early 1960s, still with a connection to the Workington to Carlisle line and shown on OS maps as "Goods station", but at some time since then, the site adjacent to Jubilee Terrace has been redeveloped, looks like there's now a carpet warehouse / trading estate been built there. Anyone else able to add anything here before we go too far off topic on railway history?

Looks like the original 1840 station in Maryport was still in situ in the early 1960s, still with a connection to the Workington to Carlisle line and shown on OS maps as "Goods station", but at some time since then, the site adjacent to Jubilee Terrace has been redeveloped, looks like there's now a carpet warehouse / trading estate been built there. Anyone else able to add anything here before we go too far off topic on railway history?

Maryport ( AKA Scareyport) and its single platform layout was always a mystery. Until I recently read somewhere on here, that the section from there towards Carlisle is treated as a single line section. Something to do with clearance/ gauging issues I think. Someone posted elsewhere about 195 testing , but only as far north as Maryport , because of this issue.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Clearances have historically always been tight on the Maryport & Carlisle. Never normally a good idea to stick your head out of the window of a moving train carriage, particularly so on this section of line with limited bridge clearances (less than a foot between bridge and train).

Wonder whether the slightly slewed track layout and long single platform at the "new" 1860 Maryport station was a necessity because the Workington -> Carlisle main line would, by then, already have been in place.

Pieman

Soham - I know it has not been built yet but latest plans show only one platform on the single track why not future-roof from the start and have two as well as extending the double the double track through the station.

David Goddard

Established Member
Soham - I know it has not been built yet but latest plans show only one platform on the single track why not future-roof from the start and have two as well as extending the double the double track through the station.
The plan is future proofed to enable easy expansion with an additional platform if and when the second track is installed. Better to get the station built and open first. kenilworth was reopened in the same basis.

SPADTrap

Established Member
When you think about it, Corby is a single line platform which has just been electrified, madness really.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Because you'll kill the case for the station by adding that scope into it.

When you think about it, Corby is a single line platform which has just been electrified, madness really.

When basically everything terminates at Corby, not really. Even with the occasional through services towards Oakham, one platform is sufficient.

Neen Sollars

Not a terminus, and not a platform on the other side. But when the line is upgraded with more frequent traffic, Newmarket might require a single long platform with an "in and out" arrangement to make it effectively two platforms. Its all been discussed on another thread with diagrams/track plans.

SPADTrap

Established Member
When basically everything terminates at Corby, not really. Even with the occasional through services towards Oakham, one platform is sufficient.

I was more meaning it's a waste of electrification without building a second platform ahead of time, as opposed to current loadings.

Domh245

Established Member
I was more meaning it's a waste of electrification without building a second platform ahead of time, as opposed to current loadings.

Even with an increase in loadings, there's nowhere for any extra trains to go south of Bedford! 1 platform should quite easily cope with 2tph which is all Corby's going to get for the forseeable if we are being honest.

Pieman

Because you'll kill the case for the station by adding that scope into it.

So you build a station to meet "Beancounters rules" then expand it a few years later at double the cost an all the disruption. Seems to lack of ambition and forethought but the box tickers will be happy.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Didn't see it listed, but Pershore would be a good candidate. but that would involved doubling that section of line from Evesham.

Mikey C

Established Member
Even with an increase in loadings, there's nowhere for any extra trains to go south of Bedford! 1 platform should quite easily cope with 2tph which is all Corby's going to get for the forseeable if we are being honest.
I imagine a second platform would be really useful in case of problems on the line or where the train in the platform goes wrong...

Western Lord

Maybe we should start a thread for stations that have two platforms but could manage with one, allowing passengers to forgo the pleasure of humping stuff over a footbridge or faffing about having to use two lifts. There are advantages to having only one platform!

Kendalian

Newtonmore could do with going back to 2 platforms, or at least reinstating the loop.

It's a pain if things are running late that long single track section from Kingussie to Dalwhinnie

Status
Not open for further replies.