• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with no monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

I was wondering: are there stations on the National Rail network (not heritage railways) with no display boards or announcements? Because if there are none, there would be no way of telling what stations the trains will be stopping at! Only the final destination on the train itself (and that is not on all trains) is shown. Furthermore, what about single track stations? Unless you knew the station, you could end up going the wrong way!

Just wondering what people are 'officially'/normally meant to do in these situations - because trains (unlike on the London Underground) can skip stations on their route, and so you cannot assume it will be stopping at a particular station just because it goes past it. (I would not have thought it essential to know the final destination of your train or the direction of travel for single track sections).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthStand

Spalding is particularly ******-poor for this. There is a small hand-written sign showing the next two departures. Disgusting really for the 21st century.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the north :lol:

Mostly people round these parts (where information screens and even PAs are few and far between) use the timetables that are put up on platforms. But of course these aren't much use during disruption :roll:

pemma

Veteran Member
Most stations in Cheshire don't have display screens or announcements. Even Knutsford with 0.32 million passengers per annum doesn't get them. I think out of all stations in Cheshire the only ones that have display screens or PA announcements are Runcorn, Warrington BQ, Warrington Central, Chester, Crewe, Wilmslow, Macclesfield and Hartford. (Note: Hartford used to be served by Liverpool-London services and only has an unreliable PA system.) Birchwood may as it's TPE operated but I'm not sure on that.

will1337

I don't believe that Wakefield Kirkgate has either, or it didn't when I was there. Several platforms with quite a long subway and no idea which one to be at.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't believe that Wakefield Kirkgate has either, or it didn't when I was there. Several platforms with quite a long subway and no idea which one to be at.
Yep Wakefield Kirkgate is a nasty one as it's not obvious at all which platform you have to go for your train. We actually missed a train there once as it left early.

pemma

Veteran Member

Kirkgate has a PA system but the announcements are either automated or announced live from another location. The situation is similar with a lot of stations in PTE areas in the north. In non-PTE areas in the north it's nothing unless it's a mainline station or used to be a mainline station.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can think of a lot of stations which never used to have information screens (pretty much all suburban stations in the ex-West Midlands County), all stations on the Severn Beach line in Bristol, until the past few years.

Patchway station in Greater Bristol has no information screens.

pemma

Veteran Member
Yep Wakefield Kirkgate is a nasty one as it's not obvious at all which platform you have to go for your train. We actually missed a train there once as it left early.

To not help passengers they have the Wakefield to Leeds via Huddersfield and Bradford service. If 'Leeds' is shown on the blind people may confuse it with a fast service to Leeds, while if 'Huddersfield' is shown on the front people may think it isn't going to Brighouse or Halifax.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There's nothing on the Colne-Blackpool South with them, except the manned stations. I think most Northern Rail stations not in a PTE have nothing...

TEW

Established Member
Ivybridge.

Ivybridge has help points with a screen built in showing train running information including full stopping patterns and delay information. Most smaller stations in the South West have very little but FGW is rolling out at the very least Help Points with next train announcements at all stations.

bengley

Established Member
Rickmansworth, Chorleywood, Chalfont & Latimer and Amersham all have nothing and they are served by national rail trains.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ivybridge has help points with a screen built in showing train running information including full stopping patterns and delay information. Most smaller stations in the South West have very little but FGW is rolling out at the very least Help Points with next train announcements at all stations.

Sorry, a family member who was there in the summer said there was absolutely nothing - are these a recent installation?

Established Member

That shouldn't happen now as the signage has improved significantly.

As for stations without boards or announcements - use a timetable. It would cost a great deal to put boards on every station, surely people can still use a timetable to get a lot of the information?

JKJimar53

Yes they can, but not during times of disruption and when staff wont put out announcements.

Established Member
Yes they can, but not during times of disruption and when staff wont put out announcements.

Not every station has a tannoy, so that can't be helped. Kirkgate does and was working toda when the GC service to KGX was cancelled - this was a 'live' announcement as well.

There is always National Rail Enquiries if a station does not have a tannoy and a train is late.

wintonian

Established Member
Most smaller stations in the Highlands (?)(Kyle of Lochalsh Line, Far North Line, West Highland Line), excluding terminals.

Falmouth Docks and stations on the Tarka Line apart from Barnstaple.

Most Small stations on SWT didn't used to but I think every station managed by SWT does now.

TEW

Established Member
Sorry, a family member who was there in the summer said there was absolutely nothing - are these a recent installation?
Ivybridge was one of the stations where the system was trialled but they may have been there in the gap between removing the trial help points and installing the final ones, which are in now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Falmouth Docks and stations on the Tarka Line apart from Barnstaple.

They've all got help points now, most have the type with screens built in although the really small stations just have information, emergency and next train buttons.

hick

Most stations in Cheshire don't have display screens or announcements. Even Knutsford with 0.32 million passengers per annum doesn't get them. I think out of all stations in Cheshire the only ones that have display screens or PA announcements are Runcorn, Warrington BQ, Warrington Central, Chester, Crewe, Wilmslow, Macclesfield and Hartford. (Note: Hartford used to be served by Liverpool-London services and only has an unreliable PA system.) Birchwood may as it's TPE operated but I'm not sure on that.

How about Ellesmere Port, Overpool, Little Sutton, Hooton, Capenhurst and Bache?

sprite

Bramley has no boards, but has a PA system - automatic. The problem is the PA is completely buggered. There is no way to cross from one platform to the other without leaving the station, going underneath via the road then up onto the other. So lots of people who don't know the station, if they ignore the signs saying "This platform for trains to Leeds, York and Selby" when they need to goto Bradford, Manchester or Blackpool have fun rushing to get to their train.

Crossover

Established Member
Even though they do, Rugeley Town, Hednesford and Cannock, the worst station ever bar none, don't have them working or they say there is a fault with them

Yeah, seen those showing random stuff or just saying to use a timetable!
Why put them there and just so to refer to a timetable?!
Newton-le-Willows didn't when I was there about 2 years ago - that was a weird experience. It had got dark and was snowing a little too - like being back in the dark ages when used to the boards. I had my phone though so could check trains on that.

There are a few others up north too. Morley doesn't have boards - I know people who have got the Manchester Victoria train from there expecting it to go via Huddersfield - though that was not long after that service was introduced. Not sure if Cottingley or batley have them either (on batley, maybe we will find out when Portillo visits on Thursday :P)

gnolife

Established Member
i know that Hindley didnt used to have them, and as a result, id end up on the Atherton line train instead of the Bolton line, display on front of train wouldnt help as theyd just say Manchester Vic

wintonian

Established Member
Ivybridge was one of the stations where the system was trialled but they may have been there in the gap between removing the trial help points and installing the final ones, which are in now.

They've all got help points now, most have the type with screens built in although the really small stations just have information, emergency and next train buttons.

I assume that includes Dorchester West then as last time I was there it was just one of those blue boxes with a button for automated information.

anthony263

Established Member
most of the small swanline stations between Cardiff & Swansea have no screen or audio annoucements. Only Llansamlet does.

I suppose the will be a lot in west wales and on the valley lines network

The_Stig

Partick train station is appalling for information screens when you first walk into the station via the main entrance. I find it hilarious that this new station has no information screens when you walk into it.

The first information screen you hit is on the station platform. Unless you enter the station from the subway inner circle. There is a single screen that flashes the train info but it's right out of the way.

Plenty of screens telling you bus departure and arrival times though.

krus_aragon

Established Member
most of the small swanline stations between Cardiff & Swansea have no screen or audio annoucements. Only Llansamlet does.

I suppose the will be a lot in west wales and on the valley lines network

They are being steadily fitted, however: Eastbrook (halt between Cardiff and Barry) acquired a pair of departure screens about two months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.