• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you don't want to go to/be at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think I got away with it! ;)

Leeds itself is a nice enough place and I'd happily go there again. But Burley Park station, five minutes away, is somewhere I'd rather avoid after dark. The local population are quite 'animated' when drunk.

That goes for most of this part of West Yorkshire I'm afraid :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Much as I love Leeds, it does seem that whenever I want to go anywhere or do anything, theres a queue of about three hundred thousand people in front of me.

Gets right on my wick.

andyb2706

Kilmarnock station late at might. Was there for about an hour earlier this year as my day spotting in the Glasgow area was coming to an end before returning to my hotel. It was dark, cold and windy with hardly anyone knocking about and outside the station wasn't much better.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Kilmarnock station late at might. Was there for about an hour earlier this year as my day spotting in the Glasgow area was coming to an end before returning to my hotel. It was dark, cold and windy with hardly anyone knocking about and outside the station wasn't much better.

Westerton is just as bad. I was waiting for the sleeper one night long ago and the boards weren't showing it as a departure. So naturally had no idea which platform I needed to be on. Was a rather spooky place.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I had 40mins at Woodlesford yesterday tea-time, and that was pretty grim (which I can only partly put down to the thunderstorm!). The place has had a new accessible footbridge and bike racks/cctv fitted like most other 'local' stations. However the cctv appears to offer NO coverage of platform 2, as illustrated by the amount of etching and graffiti on the shelter (which by the way must be amongst the oldest shelters still in place in West Yorkshire, it's basically a 1980s bus shelter. Additionally, the shelter is so small that while sitting on the bench I (and I'm only 5'8") had to poke my toes out underneath the front panel in order to fit, which given the weather was not ideal!

What was also rather annoying was that when the 142 to Sheffield via Castleford arrived, I boarded only to see not one but two FHH coal trains pass in close succession! Wish I'd stayed at Woodlesford for another 20mins after that! <(

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Newport. What other station would fail to put a pavement in on a road leading out of a car park to head to a nearby shop?

I assume that you're referring to the access which leads right from the front car park onto Queensway?

The narrow apparently "non path" dates from the 1980's / 1990's when the road was put there. This was well before the station building was moved a few years ago, and it was intended that no-one should walk along there to get to the station. At the time, there was an underpass from near to the roundabout across the road and another one further down back towards the (old) station, but they're now out of use.

What actually happened, of course, is that people (including me!) ignored the underpasses - which were pretty dire - and walked along the narrow path. This still happens - and yes, I'm still doing it!

Whilst the station management are responsible for lots of mistakes with the new station, they weren't responsible for this one!

Strathclyder

Established Member
High Street in Glasgow. Gives Anderston a run for it's money in regards of how run down it is.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I assume that you're referring to the access which leads right from the front car park onto Queensway?

The narrow apparently "non path" dates from the 1980's / 1990's when the road was put there. This was well before the station building was moved a few years ago, and it was intended that no-one should walk along there to get to the station. At the time, there was an underpass from near to the roundabout across the road and another one further down back towards the (old) station, but they're now out of use.

What actually happened, of course, is that people (including me!) ignored the underpasses - which were pretty dire - and walked along the narrow path. This still happens - and yes, I'm still doing it!

Whilst the station management are responsible for lots of mistakes with the new station, they weren't responsible for this one!

Exit from the north side (P4) into the large car-park, only way I could see of reaching the Tesco Express was walking up the entry/exit ramp to the car-park. Probably is a pavement or authorised walking route somewhere but it isn't that well sign posted.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I had 40mins at Woodlesford yesterday tea-time, and that was pretty grim (which I can only partly put down to the thunderstorm!).

He he - there's not a lot there.

Last time I used it I walked right across the tracks, so that was a few years then !

bicbasher

Established Member
Erith - I used to wait at that station at night and it was a grim experience, people freely crossing the track to get to the London bound platform, kids mucking about, unstaffed and a 2tph service during the evening makes for depressing waiting. In the end, I'd get the bus instead.

London Bridge. Yes. it's being rebuilt, yet those 1980s platforms are still grim. Wait late on a winter's evening. the train hasn't arrived and is basically depressing. One Friday night, I waited on Platform 8 for a Southern service to Caterham and found one chap urinating against the wall by the cycle rack area.

Peckham Rye - The station is largely fine now, thanks to some TLC from Southern, however the immediate area around the main building is intimidating after dark. I'm sure some passengers would rather get off at Queens Road Peckham which is another candidate and walk into Peckham.

londiscape

Peckham Rye - The station is largely fine now, thanks to some TLC from Southern, however the immediate area around the main building is intimidating after dark. I'm sure some passengers would rather get off at Queens Road Peckham which is another candidate and walk into Peckham.

I suspect most passengers would rather avoid Peckham full stop! I know I would.

Remember changing at Peckham Rye a few years ago before LO took over the South London Line. I wished I taken a different route...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Exit from the north side (P4) into the large car-park, only way I could see of reaching the Tesco Express was walking up the entry/exit ramp to the car-park. Probably is a pavement or authorised walking route somewhere but it isn't that well sign posted.

Ah, no, that's a different one to the one that I was thinking about.

I understand that when they planned the original redevelopment, the station was going to be effectively turned around. What is now platform four would have been the main entrance and the current platform one would have been the rear entrance - despite being nearer to the city!

Anyway, allegedly saner minds prevailed and they did what they did, keeping the status quo. The rear entrance was going to have a multi story car park with a shopping development, but none of this happened, hence the current situation.

You are right, though; there's a distinct lack of signing from the rear entrance out to the road. I completely agree that if you don't know the area, you can easily get confused as to which direction you have to go. There's actually two ways of leaving the station; one is a pathway leading to steps which brings you onto the road at the back of the station; and the other is the entrance ramp for the car park. Neither, though are properly signed and can easily be missed, especially the former.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Glenrothes with Thornton in the kingdom of Fife.

When I was passing through last week, I could make out the remnants of a coal mining area with dilapidated buildings near the line.

I believe it was the last coal mine to close in Scotland in the late 1990s/early noughties (I think).

In peace

Adam

Established Member
I visited Leeds for the first time today and my first impression of the station was "wow, this is depressing". There just isn't enough natural light within the station.

That said, the city centre is surprisingly quiet and so far I quite like it.

The station honestly needs brightening up somewhat though.

I come from Leeds in general it has its good parts and bad parts like most cites, as far the station goes concourse buildings want pulling down and rebuilding from scratch.

The last modernisation was a half arsed improvement, ok more platforms and the new over bridge with escalators, along with a good refurbishment of the old building.

However the overall concourse layout is not ideal, the Car/Taxi drop off area is too small causes traffic problems at busy times, the main 60's concourse is a dump, the enterance to the ticket gates should be wider, and get rid of those slow opening glass gate's

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
I have never exited the station at Clapham Junction and never will, too dangerous.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I have never exited the station at Clapham Junction and never will, too dangerous.

Your contributions to this thread continue to be hilarious.

Perhaps at night if you're not confident of where you're going but there's many far worse places than the Clapham area.

cle

Established Member
And equally, Peckham is very different these days. The immediate 'station square' and passageways are nowhere near as dodgy as they might first appear. And most arches are full of breweries and bars!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Your contributions to this thread continue to be hilarious.

Perhaps at night if you're not confident of where you're going but there's many far worse places than the Clapham area.

Clapham Junction was listed in the 10 worst stations. It's only recently they have improved it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bicbasher

Established Member
And equally, Peckham is very different these days. The immediate 'station square' and passageways are nowhere near as dodgy as they might first appear. And most arches are full of breweries and bars!

Yet Network Rail still want to demolish the vast majority of the retail units in the station square, while there's a campaign to keep the shops and a couple of the arches premises on Blenheim Grove, some of which are used by artists.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Clapham Junction was listed in the 10 worst stations. It's only recently they have improved it.

GodAtum wasn't commenting on the station but saying they wouldn't leave it to visit the area around it.

infobleep

Veteran Member
GodAtum wasn't commenting on the station but saying they wouldn't leave it to visit the area around it.

I see what you mean. I was thinking more in terms of not leaving the train. I misread it.

Kilmarnock isn't that bad. The rail service isn't that good, though.

All the other "major" Ayrshire towns are on the Ayrshire Coast line, which has new electric trains and pretty frequent services. Kilmarnock is on its own diesel line, and I think parts of it are still single track.

There is a really nice pub across from the station (with a very amusing name). It's worth going for a beer in there if you've got a long wait for a train.

SN319

Gatwick Airport- the whole system/interchange there is just a mess. Absolutely hate changing there for buses etc...

a1a.a1a

Gatwick Airport- the whole system/interchange there is just a mess. Absolutely hate changing there for buses etc...

That is probably part intentional, can't imagine anyone would benefit from it becoming a 'better' place to change, it struggles to cope as it is at times.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Are you serious? One of the most sought after, trendy areas of London.

Londoners have always had an insular outlook, how often do you hear "Why go anywhere else when everything you need is in London"

Many so called sought after and trendy areas of London would be looked upon as complete dumps by people from all over this country.

class303

Londoners have always had an insular outlook, how often do you hear "Why go anywhere else when everything you need is in London"

Many so called sought after and trendy areas of London would be looked upon as complete dumps by people from all over this country.

The rest of the country is so cheap because no bugger wants to live there! Simple supply and demand.

but seriously. Too dangerous to set foot out of? ludicrous.

Johnuk123

Established Member
The rest of the country is so cheap because no bugger wants to live there! Simple supply and demand.

but seriously. Too dangerous to set foot out of? ludicrous.

Do you think the vast majority of people would choose to live in London if there was no need to ?

I lived there for many years because I had to, when I could I couldn't get out fast enough.

Last edited:

class303

Do you think the vast majority of people would choose to live in London if there was no need to ?

I lived there for many years because I had to, when I could I couldn't get out fast enough.

I don't need to. Well whether London is a good city or not is for another thread....and forum for that matter. I will still say the comment (re: clapham junction) is one of the most ludicrous I've heard on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.