• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you would rename.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Acton1991

That would boost passenger numbers, with people going there just to take selfies under the signs... or even just buying singles from Ealing Broadway so they have an amusing ticket!
Ha ha I honestly didn't even think that! Anything to get TfL to boost the service from once every half an hour...

eoff

• High Steet
  • Glenrothes with Thornton

The former because it is remarkably generic and the latter only because a station that has with in the name seems strange to me.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Acton Main Line - makes little sense to me once Crossrail is fully opened to me. Acton Horn Lane or just Horn Lane seems more appropriate.
Mainly to differentiate of course from all the other Underground / Overground stations - there's already a south, north, west, east 'town' and 'central'! It does seem like a fudge but I guess the intention is that it clarifies which route it is.

cosmo

Marske > Marske Central
Longbeck > Marske North
South Bank > Teesport
Allens West > Durham Lane
Dinsdale > Middleton St. George

I'm sure there's good reasons why they've not been renamed though!

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Streatham Common-Streatham South (to reflect the broader district around the southern end of Streatham high road. It’s also not that close to Streatham Common itself anyway)

Chiswick Park-Turnham Green
Turnham Green-Chiswick Central
Chiswick-Chiswick Park

South Wimbledon-Merton Central

miklcct

On Moderation
Pokesdown for Boscombe - the "for Boscombe" part is totally misleading as Boscombe is located mid-way between Bournemouth and Pokesdown stations.

RobShipway

Established Member
Bishopstone to be Seaford Promenade, as the station is nowhere near Bishopstone as a town/village, but is near Seaford Promenade seafront area.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Bishopstone to be Seaford Promenade, as the station is nowhere near Bishopstone as a town/village, but is near Seaford Promenade seafront area.
Nah! 'Bishopstone' to 'Seaford Sunnyside' (*) would have more of a ring to it! 8-)

(*) To be renamed after the nearby caravan park, and certainly not to be confused with the other Sunnyside station up in Coatbridge!

Acton1991

Midgham Station in Berkshire should really be named Woolhampton.
It sits in the village of Wollhampton, with Midgham being 2 miles away!

busmanaams

I would rename Singer and Clydebank Clydebank North and Clydebank South respectively.
You obviously don't know Clydebank. Singer, although originally the name of a factory producing sewing machines, is now the locally accepted name for the area around the upper parts of Kilbowie Road. Clydebank North is more likely to be taken as Hardgate or Duntocher. Following your "logic" then with Crossrail, Paddington becomes London West and Liverpool Street to London East

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Midgham Station in Berkshire should really be named Woolhampton.
It sits in the village of Wollhampton, with Midgham being 2 miles away!
What’s even more peculiar about it, is that when built, it was called Woolhampton, and then changed its name some 150 years ago to Midgham.

Killingworth

Established Member
What’s even more peculiar about it, is that when built, it was called Woolhampton, and then changed its name some 150 years ago to Midgham.
Apparently it got confused with Wolverhampton, until 1873. Since then it must have caused much local amusement. For a station with an hourly service it isn't very busy.

Mat17

Birmingham New Street = Birmingham Low Level.

Rotherham Central = Rotherham under Don (having spent a fair amount of time under water in recent years).

Saltmarshe = Laxton

Meadowhall = Meadowhell

Dore & Totley = Dore. Seems weird throwing the Totley on the end after so many years of just being the former. Kind of like gentrification rebranding, as if throwing another affluent Sheffield district on top makes it better.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It was proposed years ago, how officially I do not know, but Oxenholme to something that reflects the fact the station's in pretty much a suburb of Kendal. Kendal Main or Kendal Junction perhaps?

Kendal Junction and Kendal Town would work for the two stations, though in reality it's reasonably well known so might just confuse people unnecessarily.

Liverpool South Parkway back to Allerton.

What about Garston? It was the merger of two stations, effectively (OK, Garston's platforms were moved a bit).

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Renaming stations may be a good idea, but it gets confusing for strangers or local people who return after many years away.

There could be a transition period when both names are shewn, five years maybe?

I think maybe extended names and descriptive names are better.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Kendal Junction and Kendal Town would work for the two stations, though in reality it's reasonably well known so might just confuse people unnecessarily.

What about Garston? It was the merger of two stations, effectively (OK, Garston's platforms were moved a bit).

Would Garston & Allerton (for Speke/Liverpool Airport) work as well?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
City Thameslink has always bugged me as a name. Next time they upgrade systems and/or signage it should revert to the original proposed name of St. Paul's. Might get confused with the Central Line station but that didn't stop Edgware Road or Hammersmith!

Failing that, how about "Holborn Viaduct Underpass"?

Grumbler

City Thameslink has always bugged me as a name. Next time they upgrade systems and/or signage it should revert to the original proposed name of St. Paul's. Might get confused with the Central Line station but that didn't stop Edgware Road or Hammersmith!

Failing that, how about "Holborn Viaduct Underpass"?
"Holborn Viaduct & Ludgate Circus"? "Old Bailey"?

leytongabriel

Wanstead Park to Wanstead Flats ( it's nowhere near the park ) or Forest Gate something to encourage interchange with Crossrail
Walthamstow Queens Road - it's not on Queens Rd which is a fairly minor road anyway. But what to? Just back to plain 'Walthamstow' as locals refer to the other one just as 'Central' ?

Surely it’s no different to people who come to Euston finding that Euston Square is a couple of minutes walk away?

Neither of the Charing Cross LU platforms are particularly convenient for the mainline station, though the Bakerloo side is the worst. It was satisfactory when the whole complex was linked by the Jubilee Line, but (and this is only my personal view) since the Jubilee left the name sits awkwardly.
The Bakerloo side was originally Traflalgar Square station wasn't it? I think it changed about the time the Jubilee arrived.

Caledonian Road and Barnsbury is on Caledonian Road but not in Barnsbury!

Shoreditch High Street was given it's name to distinguish it from the former East London line terminus station.

Catford station is not only served by Thameslink trains so your proposed renaming is misleading and could cause confusion.
But they built the station so the entrance isn't on Shoreditch High Street at all. Shoreditch (for Brick lane) on the station boards?

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
The Bakerloo side was originally Traflalgar Square station wasn't it? I think it changed about the time the Jubilee arrived.
And the Northern Line station, Strand.

Plus Embankment station was originally called Charing Cross, until the merged Strand/Trafalgar Square complex got that name!

I've never timed it, but coming out of the mainline station, it would be interesting to time which station would be the quickest to get to, to catch the Bakerloo Line.

leytongabriel

The problem with it is that Stratford is just as close to Westfield as Stratford Int'l is. No suggestion for Stratford Int'l including its current name ever feels right.

I would in an attempt to increase usage. As for the bus link, it's something I've long said should happen, and think it should even more with the housing developments.

1. Is it not? If it's not Barnsbury where is it officially, Pentonville, Holloway?
2. I assumed so, but it does seem a bit pointless. It's like renaming Rochester to Rochester Castle because it was resited.
3. I'm pretty sure Southeastern doesn't call at Catford at all. Happy to be proven wrong, mind.

I suggested it just to make it simpler, but I know the costs could never be justified.
Stratford City is used for the bus terminus on that side of Westfield but I've never heard anyone use that name otherwise.
Stratford Village to please the estate agents :) ? Stratford (Olympic Park) ?
Caledonian Rd Overground needs something to distinguish it from Caledonian Rd Piccadilly line which isn't that near.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s just a bit more complicated than that, (as mentioned by @Mikey C), but if you go right back like Geoff Marshall did it’s been subject to many changes:

Grumbler

Stratford, Ebbsfleet and Ashford on HS1 between St Pancras and the Channel Tunnel are no longer served by international services (I don't think Stratford ever was) so should have the misleading label "international" removed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Stratford, Ebbsfleet and Ashford on HS1 between St Pancras and the Channel Tunnel are no longer served by international services (I don't think Stratford ever was) so should have the misleading label "international" removed.

Though because Stratford is a different station the other side of a massive shopping centre to the other one (very much like Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbf and Regionalbf) you would need a different name. As the brand "Hispeed" is established with Southeastern, "Stratford Hispeed" would do.

Grumbler

Though because Stratford is a different station the other side of a massive shopping centre to the other one (very much like Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbf and Regionalbf) you would need a different name. As the brand "Hispeed" is established with Southeastern, "Stratford Hispeed" would do.
Yes, the Stratford complex is a nightmare to navigate. It took me aout 20 minutes a few years ago to get from the GE station to the HS station, I think I visited every single one of the six DLR platforms before finding the correct one.

Ken H

On Moderation
Yes, i agree with the point about the ticket machine problem. I think tho it may have University (Bham) in brackets, but cant swear to that.
I think the station in the West Midlands that does need a re name and has been a bugbear of mine for years is Sandwell & Dudley.
the 2 councils paid for it (in part I think)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No no no! Highspeed would be fine, if a bit clunky... but spelling it "Hispeed" would be atrocious. If that were to happen, I can't promise that I wouldn't come along in the dead of night and correct the spelling with a Sharpie!

Status
Not open for further replies.