• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steepest adhesion worked tramline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Which indicates to me that Crystal Palace was nothing more than a worthless Boris Johnson mayoral election 'promise'.

No it wasn't a promise it was just an idea.

I didn't think it was viable from the outset, Crystal Palace and Croydon are already linked by heavy rail and the money would be far better spent elsewhere.

The Church Street section is quite steep although trams only go down it and not up.

Bill EWS

Dundee trams had a very steep climb up to Dens road and then up onto the Hilltown. Buses still go that way today. The direct route up to Hilltown from Victoria Street was impossibly steep for trams which is why they went via Dens road.

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
anyone know what the ruling gradient on the Snaefell Mountain Railway is? Thats adhesion worked, the Fell rail is only there for braking purposes.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There used to be a tram in Trieste which operated conventionally in the city centre then would be pushed by a cable hauled contraption up a very steep section to a village near the Slovenian border. Went on it about 12 years ago but no idea if it still operates. The metro in Lyon has a funicular section on one line that is very steep. For pure adhesion I can't think of anything steeper than the Lisbon system or Snaefell.

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
There used to be a tram in Trieste which operated conventionally in the city centre then would be pushed by a cable hauled contraption up a very steep section to a village near the Slovenian border. Went on it about 12 years ago but no idea if it still operates.

The Trieste tram funicular is still operating as far as I know. It featured in one of Michael Portillo's more recent European Bradshaw jaunts.

AndrewE

Established Member
1/12, though its also narrow gauge.

... as are (or were) many tramway networks.

But the comment has made me think about narrow gauge: I can see how it copes better with sharper curves and drastically reduces the earthworks needed, but is there any reason why it should be able to cope with steep gradients any better?
Maybe just easier to push because everything is smaller!
A

edwin_m

Veteran Member

But the comment has made me think about narrow gauge: I can see how it copes better with sharper curves and drastically reduces the earthworks needed, but is there any reason why it should be able to cope with steep gradients any better?
A

I don't think there is any fundamental reason why narrow gauge is any better at steep gradients. But as well as the lighter weight of the trains, the much lower maximum speeds mean that locomotive wheel sizes and gearing are designed for high tractive effort at low speeds, which also gives good hill-climbing.

randyrippley

Established Member

A

I think the link is more that steep hill climbs usually come with tight curves, giving the advantage to narrow gauge. Think of the tight spiral around Snaefell above the bungalow - could a standard gauge train get around that? And of course even if you could there would have to be a lot more earthmoving to dig the trackbed into the side of the hill

Heartland

The steep sections on the Midland Metro include the Queens Head Viaduct and Stephenson Street, I suppose. The extension to Centenary Square up Pinfold Street may be steeper when it is built

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The steep sections on the Midland Metro include the Queens Head Viaduct and Stephenson Street, I suppose. The extension to Centenary Square up Pinfold Street may be steeper when it is built

The T68s were specified to climb the hill at Dudley Castle, had that extension ever been built. It's still in the aspirations so I guess the Urbos would be similarly specified.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Anerley Hill up to Crystal Palace has a gradient of 1 in 9 and was worked by tram before conversion to trolleybus. The trams were a bit before my time, but the trolleybuses weren't, although the only time I ever went on one was on their last Saturday of operation. The trolleys on that route had a special braking system, and I daresay the same may have applied to the trams: my copy of 'Croydon's Tramways' published by Middleton Press has gone awol, so can't check.

Status
Not open for further replies.