• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage platform 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Glad you enjoyed it. I tend not to make long videos as most people get fed up after ten minutes or so, but I had little choice with this one as there was a lot to cover.

Yeah, thoroughly thawed out now thanks... and caught up on the sleep (long story but I only went to bed three hours before the alarm went off, so three hours in a 38 hour period !!)

I'll probably keep future updates short from now on. I'll try and find out what the plan is regarding the OHLE as that would be another big part of the project, but for now I'm guessing most of the work will be in completing the track work and building the station infrastructure before the OHL goes in.

Thanks for the video - it is an ideal one to recommend time a time again to railforums users when questions are asked on many different items. It is quite rare to have a good vantage point.
There are also lots of other things in the video that haven't been picked up on yet for example the 3d dozer to automatically get the ballast level correct before the modular panels are placed on top.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The tilting wagon concept for S&C delivery isn't new, just new to the UK

Well quite; I was regaled with numerous stories from visitors to Europe (particularly Switzerland, Austria etc.) who had seen them in sidings and suggested we should get some. There was some initial reticence, because the belief was that they wouldn’t be so easy to use with our structure gauge. However combining them with modular kit made it possible.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The bearers at the joins need to be very well supported by ballast on both sides so the sub-base needs to be in good condition.
Otherwise this may happen: https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/report-04-2018-freight-train-derailment-at-lewisham
It occurred because the first of the two derailed wagons, which was probably carrying an uneven payload, encountered a significant track twist, resulting in there being insufficient wheel load at the leading left-hand wheel to prevent its flange climbing over the rail head.

The track twist had developed rapidly following the hand-back because:

• the support offered by the track bed to the concrete bearers was poor
  • the inherent flexibility of the bearer ties located between the two running rails made one side of the track more susceptible to the poor track bed support than the other.

malc-c

There are also lots of other things in the video that haven't been picked up on yet

Agreed.

One thing I noticed is how structured the teams are. You can see that often one person had his particular task, and once complete would stand aside and someone else would then take over and do their bit, etc. I often wondered why there were so many technicians at these sort of projects, but with so much going on you can see why each one would be delegated a particular role as it does tend to make for a quick installation.

I've found the whole project interesting to watch and document for posterity.

malc-c

Small update:

I drove passed Langley junction this morning and can report that the track is now connected to the switch

track connected.png

Aictos

Established Member
Thanks guys, it's good that it's coming along nicely now. Although in the image shared in post #458 the OHL structures seem very close to the track, is that the final position of the OHL structures or is it just the way it looks in the image?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thanks guys, it's good that it's coming along nicely now. Although in the image shared in post #458 the OHL structures seem very close to the track, is that the final position of the OHL structures or is it just the way it looks in the image?

Just the way it looks.

Aictos

Established Member
Just the way it looks.

Ahh so a illusion then, thanks for explaining.

The other thing I wanted to ask was I know off peak the idea is that there will be 2tph north of Hertford but would that likely be increased in the peak to 3tph?

Would the infrastructure be capable of doing so bearing in mind freights do pass though.

bramling

Veteran Member
Ahh so a illusion then, thanks for explaining.

The other thing I wanted to ask was I know off peak the idea is that there will be 2tph north of Hertford but would that likely be increased in the peak to 3tph?

Would the infrastructure be capable of doing so bearing in mind freights do pass though.

Is there any need for 3tph? This section was always comparatively lightly used, and even if extra frequency attracts users there’s only so many people wanting to travel between Hertford and Stevenage!

I’d say it would be more useful to get a good connection at Stevenage with the KX-Cambridge service, which the current timetable won’t really achieve.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Isn't the service to Hertford going to be every 15 minutes so 4 an hour with 2 an hour extending to Stevenage? If you extend an additional train to Stevenage then you'd end up with 15, 15, 30 minute gap rather than 20, 20, 20. I don't know if the infrastructure supports 4 trains an hour and I'm not sure there are sufficient 717s either.

I agree with @bramling - the section between Stevenage and Hertford is lightly used and 2 trains an hour will be more than sufficient.

adamedwards

Does the track now extend all the way to new buffers at platform 5? Not been through recently to see for myself.

malc-c

Not yet.... they still need access for road vehicles under six hill way bridge

malc-c

I stand corrected... Spencer group have released their newsletter, and the section on Stevenage shows trackwork laid in the platform locality

stevenage-header.jpg

https://newsletter.thespencergroup.co.uk/stevenage-turnback-facility/index.html

Ediswan

Established Member
The track in the platform was there last Friday evening (13th) when I used the bus to get to Hertford. What I did not see any sign of is the passenger access from the footbridge to the platform. Should would be concerned, or will this be something pre-fabricated that can appear over a few days?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The track in the platform was there last Friday evening (13th) when I used the bus to get to Hertford. What I did not see any sign of is the passenger access from the footbridge to the platform. Should would be concerned, or will this be something pre-fabricated that can appear over a few days?
Bridge and stairs will usually arrive prefabricated on the back of a lorry, as will the lift shaft components, I’d expect completing the lift machinery and testing operation would be the main time consuming aspect...

malc-c

I popped over to Langley junction to video the HST farewell tour on the last leg of its journey and was amazed to see nearly all the OH masts are up... presumably in readiness for the work that commences at midnight on Christmas eve

turnback masts.png

Aictos

Established Member
I look forward to seeing your updates of the works AFTER Christmas, certainly picking up pace now!

TrafficEng

I popped over to Langley junction to video the HST farewell tour on the last leg of its journey and was amazed to see nearly all the OH masts are up... presumably in readiness for the work that commences at midnight on Christmas eve

Thanks for all the effort you've gone to on this thread malc-c. I've really enjoyed following progress of the scheme both as a non-member and since I've joined up (in part so I could see the full-size images ;) )

As with some other members I've wondered about the alignment of the new track and positions of structures, but some good reasons have been given. I can't help but feel that the future "Stevenage platform 6 and track doubling" thread is going to be just as interesting, if not more so.

malc-c

Thanks for the kind words.. It would have been nice to have captured the masts being erected, but other things have kept me busy and as Aictos says, they certainly are picking up the pace.

I've been trying to get some information as to timings for anything major over the Christmas period, but so far that is proving to be difficult, partly as so many subcontractors are involved in this project, each only doing their own dedicated part. One comment that quite a few people have mentioned is the way the line curves passed the bridge at Langley, and the arc of the track in relation to the existing track, but I guess providing clearances and line speeds are maintained, then it doesn't really matter how it looks.

I'll see what I can do, but with Christmas in the way, I can't promise to capture everything that happens during the closure

Aictos

Established Member
I'll see what I can do, but with Christmas in the way, I can't promise to capture everything that happens during the closure

That's understandable which is why I said I was looking forward to a update after the Christmas closure to see what's been done.

adamedwards

The arc in the curve makes me think of Hornby track where you had 4 fixed types of curve but for the 5th you had to bend your own in flexible track. :)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Track geometry is a bit counter-intuitive - something apparently minor can have a surprisingly big effect on where the track can go. In this case I think the track has to go far enough to the left to be a safe distance from the "old" OLE mast which is almost blocking the view of the EMU on that photo, and to bring it back to parallel with the Down Slow would have involved quite a tight curve. Since the land in question appears to be in railway ownership and there are no obvious major earthworks in that area, probably cheaper and easier just to let the track arc out rather than trying to bring it back closer or replacing the mast in question with another longer/wider portal. I assume the piling to the left of the photo was part of this scheme to create level ground for the new track, but that is to do with where the track goes near the turnout and would still be needed whatever course it took between there and the station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Track geometry is a bit counter-intuitive - something apparently minor can have a surprisingly big effect on where the track can go. In this case I think the track has to go far enough to the left to be a safe distance from the "old" OLE mast which is almost blocking the view of the EMU on that photo, and to bring it back to parallel with the Down Slow would have involved quite a tight curve. Since the land in question appears to be in railway ownership and there are no obvious major earthworks in that area, probably cheaper and easier just to let the track arc out rather than trying to bring it back closer or replacing the mast in question with another longer/wider portal. I assume the piling to the left of the photo was part of this scheme to create level ground for the new track, but that is to do with where the track goes near the turnout and would still be needed whatever course it took between there and the station.
It also looks like there’s a concrete slab in the gap between the tracks, perhaps there’s a trackside building to go there? Either that or it’s a redundant concrete slab that it it was easier to go round than remove...

Status
Not open for further replies.