• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stevenage platform 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcq

Ran early, seemed to be waved passed red at 939, 935 went green, but now in P5 - hurray!2020-06-18 (1).png

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
717020 did the honours. Here's a (very poor) photo taken from the adjacent Leisure Park. Lots of orange army on the platform, several GTR people around as well by the looks of things.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 151

Mcq

717020 did the honours. Here's a (very poor) photo taken from the adjacent Leisure Park. Lots of orange army on the platform, several GTR people around as well by the looks of things.
Thanks for the picture and night vigil - 5E05 - aka 717020 - has just departed P5 and is now crossing onto the Up line at signal 1970

malc-c

Yes indeed, 717020. Have just got in (video will be up later) - Whilst waiting for it to arrive I overheard a guy introduce himself to the guy manning the entrance to the site as the Health and Safety exec. I then introduced myself and enquired what the purpose of tonight's test, and he said it was to check various things including the CCTV cameras on the train under the platform lighting, and several other things including the basics such as platform gap / height, and a few of the in circuit tests. Once the train had arrived he and several other people were out with tape measures and various gauges placed up against the train doors measuring various parameters.

I did ask the question of when the platform goes into service and none of the people I spoke too would commit :(

@Hadders, that looked a cheeky shot as that looks to be inside the spiked fencing... or were you on site ?

test.jpg

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
@Hadders, that looked a cheeky shot as that looks to be inside the spiked fencing... or were you on site ?

I poked my phone through the palisade fencing which makes it look like I was rail side. I was tempted to wander down onto Platform 4 for some better shots but didn't think it was the right thing to do at the current time.

I wonder if there will be a 'soft' opening on Sunday afternoon?

malc-c

I poked my phone through the palisade fencing which makes it look like I was rail side. I was tempted to wander down onto Platform 4 for some better shots but didn't think it was the right thing to do at the current time.

I wonder if there will be a 'soft' opening on Sunday afternoon?

That's one thing I noticed, with two sets of fencing it almost blocks the view from the leisure park car park, and my camera won't fit through the gaps ! - I also thought about going on platform 4 but as most of the activities were on P5 there would have been little point.

I did mention the RTT listings for this weekend, but received no confirmation, or denial for that matter....

St. Paddy

Due to congestion at Langley Jn with freight trains being delayed whilst 717s turn around there, empty trains that have terminated at Watton at Stone will be running into platform 5 at Stevenage and the Driver will change ends inside the train. This will be from 6th July. Haven’t heard when it opens for passengers.

malc-c

Due to congestion at Langley Jn with freight trains being delayed whilst 717s turn around there, empty trains that have terminated at Watton at Stone will be running into platform 5 at Stevenage and the Driver will change ends inside the train. This will be from 6th July. Haven’t heard when it opens for passengers.

So effectively running the time table, but with services terminating and starting at Watton with empty coaching stock movements between Watton and Stevenage.... Makes sense

Brissle Girl

Established Member
No matter what the logic/operating reasons are behind that, if it doesn't open to passengers at the same time, it will likely be a PR own goal when that gets out.

St. Paddy

No matter what the logic/operating reasons are behind that, if it doesn't open to passengers at the same time, it will likely be a PR own goal when that gets out.
Even the Driver isn’t allowed on the platform as it isn’t approved yet so they may be able to pass them off as test trains

Class315

So effectively running the time table, but with services terminating and starting at Watton with empty coaching stock movements between Watton and Stevenage.... Makes sense
Also in light of the service increasing from the 6th. As stated drivers aren’t allowed on the platform and must change ends through the unit.

malc-c

Would the trains actually need to pull up to the platform. Could they simply not stop short on the turnback after the first signal, change ends by walking through as they do, and then return to Watton once given the green light and any freight trains have passed through Langley... The fact you could stable a train on the turnback "siding" wouldn't impact the work on the platform?

St. Paddy

Would the trains actually need to pull up to the platform. Could they simply not stop short on the turnback after the first signal, change ends by walking through as they do, and then return to Watton once given the green light and any freight trains have passed through Langley... The fact you could stable a train on the turnback "siding" wouldn't impact the work on the platform?
The only signal to turn back with is the platform starter

Skimble19

Established Member
That's one thing I noticed, with two sets of fencing it almost blocks the view from the leisure park car park, and my camera won't fit through the gaps ! - I also thought about going on platform 4 but as most of the activities were on P5 there would have been little point.

I did mention the RTT listings for this weekend, but received no confirmation, or denial for that matter....
It definitely won’t be open for passengers this month. Most likely time will be August, possibly slightly before or after that depending on how long sign offs etc take.

InOban

Established Member
So the usual couple of months while some bits of paper get passed around?
Have you ever heard of a road project that lay completed but unused while various officials signed it off?

Mcq

You'd have thought they'd like to see the back of running coaches from HN and Watton to Stevenage too.

Skimble19

Established Member
Have you ever heard of a road project that lay completed but unused while various officials signed it off?
Hopefully it won’t drag on as long as Market Harborough did! It’s possible it will be able to open before then but that’s the current estimate, like all things railway it’s subject to change (in either direction!).

malc-c

Here's another update covering last night's test train

I've fired off a few emails to various sources who may be able to provide some information on a target opening date - If I hear anything back I'll let you guys know.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

No, it won't. Plenty of precedents for that sort of thing.

If anything, good PR in showing it being one more step of progress.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Yep, several!

Established Member
Here's another update covering last night's test train

I've fired off a few emails to various sources who may be able to provide some information on a target opening date - If I hear anything back I'll let you guys know.

Nice video, looks huge step down from train to platform

D365

Veteran Member

Platforms are a tiny bit more complex than roads though...

Railwaynerd69

Just out of interest, what do we all think of the new platform, from what we have seen so far? Sure the perception of it may change slightly after it opens and we get a proper feel for it, but from what I've seen it looks good. I know the practical implications of it are the most important i.e. having a 5th platform full stop is a good thing, but just interested in what people think of the layout etc now it is taking shape

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Nice video, looks huge step down from train to platform
Given this platform is only likely to be used by one type of train for the next 30 years, why on earth would they not have made it level access?

malc-c

Given this platform is only likely to be used by one type of train for the next 30 years, why on earth would they not have made it level access?

I agree. With a blank canvas, no tight curves to worry about, and the fact that its only been a few months since the 717s came into services so have 20-40 years (assuming they last as long as the 313s they replaced :) ) then they could have made the platforms a "better" fit. Maybe there was a particular reason for the gap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.