• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sticking your head out of the window - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arabianights

Source? The Mk3s as found in HST rakes and LHCS rakes have not been refurbished with retention tanks yet indeed it is one of the big things that is being planned on fitted to those Mk3 vehicles that are being planned for further extended lives.

I told him that! I said he'd look foolish on a forum full of people who knew a lot more railways than us. But would he listen? :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StirCrazy

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
including the fitting of a disabled toilet facility with chemical retention tanks."

That sounds like they were only fitted to the disabled toilets, so bearing that in mind it's worth remembering that a Mk3's actually have 2 toilets per vehicle which means there are still a lot of toilets on board that don't have tanks.

;)

Established Member
Pleased to make your aquaintance

(I like to imagine that said in a broad brummie accent, lots of spittle, by a 5ft 6in somewhat rotund angry middle aged man who last shaved on Tuesday... oooh i'm getting the horn toot toot)

Hmm not quite, keep trying though, the kind of person who asks how to stick your head out of the train window is that kind thats about 12 years old, hasnt shaved at all yet and wets himself everytime a driver toots his horn

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed, O L Leigh (who works for NXEA) on this forum states here that they empty directly onto the track :P

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Also check out the differences between the 31st May version and today's here. Interestingly the first edit which adds in a mention of retention tanks appears 1 minute before StirCrazy's response to me and the follow up edit shortly afterwards originates from the same IP and appeared a few minutes before the reply to DarloRich. StirCrazy I would suggest you stop editing Wikipedia to fit your argument and find a proper independent source.

yummy125

A lot more than just heads going out of windows in this vid. Especially at 03:11. Weren't the 1980s fab!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DN1yhNz4Rc

I loved doing this in the 80's & 90's, all loco's sound lovely in their way, now we have "buses" on wheels n all locked in like sheep.

I get my fix on Railtours & stick my head out for most of the journey. :D

Loco's been pulled behind
01,02,03,04,07,08,09,10,12,20,24,25,26,27,31,33,35,37,40,43,44,45,46,47,50,55,56,58,59,60,66,67,73,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,89,90,& 91

4SRKT

Established Member
I loved doing this in the 80's & 90's, all loco's sound lovely in their way, now we have "buses" on wheels n all locked in like sheep.

I get my fix on Railtours & stick my head out for most of the journey. :D

Loco's been pulled behind
01,02,03,04,07,08,09,10,12,20,24,25,26,27,31,33,35,37,40,43,44,45,46,47,50,55,56,58,59,60,66,67,73,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,89,90,& 91

It was fantastic! That vid seems to contain mainly the legendary Aberystwyth 37s in the mid-late 80s. There were literary scores of bashers on every train and their antics so extreme that the BTP had to travel on every train. Eventually BR withdrew validity of the Mid-Wales Rover or whatever it was called on summer Saturdays which reduced the problem.

I remember the mid-morning train from Shrewsbury crossed the up train at Talerddig, and this gave enough time at Caersws for lunch. The only cafe in the village would make up dozens of bags of chips in advance so that they could serve the hordes of bashers when they all descended at once. Fabulous times. Fat Daz in the video has it right when he says that this isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

bluenoxid

Established Member
It was fantastic! That vid seems to contain mainly the legendary Aberystwyth 37s in the mid-late 80s. There were literary scores of bashers on every train and their antics so extreme that the BTP had to travel on every train. Eventually BR withdrew validity of the Mid-Wales Rover or whatever it was called on summer Saturdays which reduced the problem.

I remember the mid-morning train from Shrewsbury crossed the up train at Talerddig, and this gave enough time at Caersws for lunch. The only cafe in the village would make up dozens of bags of chips in advance so that they could serve the hordes of bashers when they all descended at once. Fabulous times. Fat Daz in the video has it right when he says that this isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle.
:D Lots of space on these trains

Last journey: 3rd June, 16:55 Morley > Leeds (144), 17:26 Leeds > Shipley (333)

hahahahahahaha Sardined

Flamingo

Established Member
I have a mate who about 15-20 years ago was on a train in the south-east, and answered the PA announcement for medical personnel to go see the guard. All he was able to do for the chap who had put his head out the window was throw a coat over the mangled remains and give evidence at the inquest.

I have heard a Swansea HST guard announce on leaving Neath "Will the young gentlemen leaning out the windows please stop. Not only is it very dangerous, you are making the train look like a horse-box!"

Once coming out of Bath, just as I got into the vestibule to tell the teenagers to get their heads in, a large Budlia bush caught them across their faces, and demonstrated my point very vividly!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suppose unfortunately that there is no railway by-law covering this point. If not, there needs to be one.

There isn't a byelaw that directly relates to this. But there is this:

Railway Byelaws said:
12. Safety instructions

(1) An Operator may issue reasonable instructions relating to safety on any part of the railway by means of a notice on or near that part of the railway. No person shall, without good cause, disobey such notice.

Source

Now unless I'm very much mistaken droplight windows have the instruction telling passengers not to put their head out of the window whilst the train is in motion. So it could well be argued that by ignoring this notice they would be in violation of 12 (1).

Crimson_Quiff

A lot more than just heads going out of windows in this vid. Especially at 03:11. Weren't the 1980s fab!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DN1yhNz4Rc

Hehe, I used to do that when I was a youngster! North Wales Coast + 37s = happy times!

The most dangerous 'bellow' I used to do (which I do not condone or encourage now) was passing Abergele and that walkway that runs down beside the line and the sea. Loads of people used to get screamed at there! :lol: It was dangerous in the fact that it was 80-90mph down there! :o Still, we all do stupid things when we're young!

BestWestern

Established Member
I've been 'bush whipped' once or twice when resting my arm out of the cab window, and been thankful that it wasn't my face! When I feel the need to stick my head out for any reason I'm always slightly sheepish if we're doing any speed! :o FGW HST's carry notices reminding pax that having the droplights down wastes energy and creates noise and drafts, which is another reason that many TM's might ask a window hanger to go and sit down! You'll often also see them closing the windows as they walk through the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.