• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Babet disruption - Friday 20/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter166

Looks like there was a broken down freight train between Preston and Oxenholme earlier but this has just now been cleared according to NRE

According to RTT your train has now left Lancaster 122 late
4S43 (Daventry to Mossend) Still blocking the line near Shap Summit. Your train (1048 from Carlisle) is now being held at Oxenholme & is180 late !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
I don't know if this will affect the station at Sheffield, but a colleague based in the city centre has reported that parts of the city have lost power.

P.S. As an aside, what kind of a name for a storm is "Babet"? Who comes up with these names, and do they have children or pets with equally baffling names? :rolleyes:
Storm naming is a joint exercise between UK, Ireland and the Netherlands:

peter166

4S43 (Daventry to Mossend) Still blocking the line near Shap Summit. Your train (1048 from Carlisle) is now being held at Oxenholme & is180 late !
4S43 is now moving again and finally passed Shap Summit 170 late. 1S42 is also moving again from Oxenholme and is 183 late.

CHAPS2034

The original NRE report said the broken down train was between Preston and Oxenholme and that had been cleared, hence trains started running again. Was the original breakdown involving 4S43 and has it now failed again?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder if anyone has making any reference to anything you have seen/read/heard in any external source, please provide details of the source (including a hyperlink if at all possible), as well as a quote from the source,in addition to your own comment, thanks!:)

dosxuk

Established Member
P.S. As an aside, what kind of a name for a storm is "Babet"? Who comes up with these names, and do they have children or pets with equally baffling names? :rolleyes:

Good explanation here for all the names being used this year - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67135325 - even if this particular one is a bit weird!

Storm Babet - a name selected by the Dutch weather agency KMNI - was named after a woman who visited an open day at its headquarters and put her own name forward, with the additional reason "because I was born during a storm".

chrissawer

The original NRE report said the broken down train was between Preston and Oxenholme and that had been cleared, hence trains started running again. Was the original breakdown involving 4S43 and has it now failed again?

From RTT, looks like 4S43 did indeed fail twice, at Oxenholme and again at Shap: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H31646/2023-10-20/detailed

1S42 to Glasgow is on the move 182 late: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L33853/2023-10-20/detailed

My partner's son is on 9S44 to Edinburgh which is behind it, currently 188 late: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L34439/2023-10-20/detailed

CHAPS2034

More disruption from NRE

Blackburn and Colne​

A tree blocking the railway between Blackburn and Colne means all lines are blocked. As a result, trains may be cancelled, delayed by up to 45 minutes or will start / terminate from Blackburn. All stations between Blackburn and Colne will not be served.

Disruption is expected until 15:45.

Hazel Grove and Buxton​

Heavy rain flooding the railway between Hazel Grove and Buxton means that all lines are blocked. Trains running between these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 45 minutes or revised to start / terminate at Hazel Grove. All stations between Hazel Grove and Buxton will not be served.

Disruption is expected until 13:45.

Howardh

Established Member
Cracked windscreen halts the 11.13 Euston to Piccadilly at Stoke, everyone decamped to platform 1 for the weather delayed Cross Country to Picc. Luckily the Avanti wasn't too busy.

Snow1964

Established Member
182 flood alerts
202 flood warnings in England now

also available on a scrollable map

I don't know if this will affect the station at Sheffield, but a colleague based in the city centre has reported that parts of the city have lost power.
There is a flood alert, river level showing as 1.05m which is above previous highest 0.81m in 2007

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Marches trains beginning to be reinstated, first one off Hereford 1500 Manchester Picc.

150208 ran through on 5Z19 as a line check.

Wivenswold

Established Member
www.gaugemap.co.uk is a useful resource for seeing the current state of play on our rivers.
The number of "monitoring stations" where flooding is possible in the UK and Ireland (shown as blue dots) has gone up from 162 yesterday to 520.
This is turning into an unprecedented event, with lots more rain on the way.
1697807557175.png

Bantamzen

Established Member
www.gaugemap.co.uk is a useful resource for seeing the current state of play on our rivers.
The number of "monitoring stations" where flooding is possible in the UK and Ireland (shown as blue dots) has gone up from 162 yesterday to 520.
This is turning into an unprecedented event, with lots more rain on the way.
View attachment 145123
Its really not unprecedented, there have been plenty of storms that have seen massive amounts of flooding. Its not a good situation this week, but there has been much worse.

ASharpe

Don't think Leeds to Shipley will be open much longer, nearly reaching the top of the rails by Kirkstal. The flood defence being constructed at Rodley is holding back a lot of water.

Bantamzen

Established Member

DanNCL

Established Member
A tree has fell on the roof of a Tyne & Wear Metro train between Chillingham Road and Byker. https://twitter.com/My_Metro/status/1715353610895122492
The fallen trees our teams are dealing with on the line near Chillingham Road in Newcastle #StormBabet
F84otmmXYAA83mo

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Marches trains beginning to be reinstated, first one off Hereford 1500 Manchester Picc.

150208 ran through on 5Z19 as a line check.

I'm glad I didn't brave the rain to go on a red pen mission this morning then! I nearly did, but decided housework was a better idea.

This would explain why, around 1247, I saw a bus with the double arrow and 'Rail Replacement' on it coming from the south in Hereford. I had taken that as a sign to not go out on the railway (I was on the way to drop off my Blue Beauty for a repair), and now I've seen this thread and the photos I'm very grateful I stayed in Hereford!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Interested in the subtle difference between lines being "blocked" and "completely blocked". ;)

Paddington-Bristol TM via B&H and Bath apparently open with an hourly service.
Westbound passengers from Didcot/Swindon advised to travel via Reading.

LAX54

Established Member
Thetford-Brandon has reopened following earlier flooding.

Problems now however between Stowmarket & Diss and to a lesser extent Manningtree to Ipswich.

I think disruption must be expected on/off on all routes until at least late afternoon/early evening.
Listening to the traffic news, seems most of the roads in suffolk are shut with flooding !

londonmidland

Established Member
Grand Central have now suspended all of their services -

Due to the disruption caused by Storm Babet we are now unable to run any services.
We highly recommend you postpone your travel until tomorrow.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Merseyrail turning at Rock Ferry on the Chester/Ellesmere Port service.

Hope this doesn't go on 40 days and 40 nights! :)

We must surely be due a Conwy Valley washout, particularly as I have plans to use it next month :)

TfW website is now claiming all services suspended but looking at Realtime Trains this doesn't seem to be actually true. The Valley does seem to still be running, astonishingly, RTT showing the 1137 Blaenau to Llandudno departing just 2 late.
And with much of North Wales under a couple of feet of water 2D16 arrives into Blaenau Ffestiniog 1 early!! Has the Conwy Valley finally had enough work for it to survive some rain at last? I struggled to drive through Abergele , Deganwy and parts of Llandudno earlier so am shocked the valley has survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.