• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Babet disruption - Saturday 21/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Falcon1200

Established Member
Utterly misleading reporting on the BBC News website;

ScotRail passengers are also advised not to travel today and to expect disruption.

Scotrail passengers are most certainly NOT being advised not to travel today; Many routes have a normal service. Thankfully, Scotrails' own website gives details of those services which are disrupted, hopefully passengers will think to check there rather than rely on the national broadcaster.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Indeed, and this is part of the fragmentation brought on by privatisation. Introduced by the Government which now says the railways cost too much to run.

Absolutely spot-on!
The Nottingham resourcing of the Liverpool-Nottingham (-Norwich) service dates back to BR sectorised Regional Railways Central days.
How is that anything to do with privatisation (or being ‘introduced by the government’)?

On Moderation
The Nottingham resourcing of the Liverpool-Nottingham (-Norwich) service dates back to BR sectorised Regional Railways Central days.
How is that anything to do with privatisation (or being ‘introduced by the government’)?
Not 100% correct. Crewe crews were used on the services until the early days of the East Midlands Trains franchise.
Don’t know when the other North West depots (Liverpool/Piccadilly) lost the work.

trundlewagon

RTT showing no trains beyond Whitlocks End until at least Tuesday. That flooding at Wood End must have done a decent amount of damage.

liamf656

That may be the case but TPE have been able to operate between Sheffield and Liverpool despite the line being blocked between Doncaster and Sheffield so EMR's feeble excuses won't wash. There were several EMR 158s in Sheffield station when I was there around 1100 so not all of them are trapped East of Nottingham.
Derby to Chesterfield is closed and Ilkeston is still flooded. If there's no way for trains or crew to get to Sheffield then how would you propose they run a service?

northwichcat

Established Member
If there's no way for trains or crew to get to Sheffield then how would you propose they run a service?

Do the road conditions not allow crews to be taxied between stations? Or do the operators not want to pay for that? It looks like train from Nottingham to Worksop is still an option, which could reduce taxi costs, but slow down getting crews moved around.

Spartacus

Established Member
Do the road conditions not allow crews to be taxied between stations? Or do the operators not want to pay for that? It looks like train from Nottingham to Worksop is still an option, which could reduce taxi costs, but slow down getting crews moved around.

Curiously despite the line from Nottingham to Worksop being open there hasn't been a service on it.

Killingworth

Established Member
The average passenger won't know where staff are based and even if they do, they won't know that it requires more than operators to just work together i.e. a spare Northern driver might not have the route or traction knowledge.

It's perhaps fortunate that the football schedule has a Merseyside derby today.
It's possibly unfortunate that Manchester United have an away 20.00 kick off Premier League match against Sheffield United this evening. Following Sir Bobby Charlton's death it will be an emotional event - not least because the home team is even more likely to lose.

Only Northern's 6 car 22.24 seems to be available to get Man U fans who want to see the whole match home by rail. Many buses and cars needed rather than good old fashioned football excursion specials.

Next train 7.51 on Sunday.

dk1

Veteran Member
Route proving trains now operating between Ipswich & Norwich. Will be no movement on the Bury St Edmunds line tonight due to stranded freight trains and no availability of drivers to move them.

dvboy

Established Member
Cambrian currently closed to Shrewsbury, and it seems the line east of there to Brum is also still closed.
Hoping it will be sorted out tomorrow as we are off to London midday. Otherwise it means we will have to drive down.
Line was fully open between Birmingham to Shrewsbury today following yesterday's flooding. Not much if anything going further west though.

bleeder4

I was on the first train through Bromsgrove this morning , shortly after 7am. The Pathfinder charter from Bristol to Carlisle. A MOM was on site at Bromsgrove for a track inspection and we proceeded up the Lickey wrong line (which was a first for me!)

6Gman

Established Member
I was a traincrew diagrammer with Central Trains. Nottingham-Liverpool services used crews based at Nottingham and Manchester.

northwichcat

Established Member
I was a traincrew diagrammer with Central Trains. Nottingham-Liverpool services used crews based at Nottingham and Manchester.

In Central days I recall seeing the same guards on the Liverpool-Crewe section of the Liverpool-Stansted Airport service and the Liverpool-Manchester section of Liverpool-Norwich.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Line was fully open between Birmingham to Shrewsbury today following yesterday's flooding. Not much if anything going further west though.

I've been in touch with their WhatsApp page (and they are very helpful!) and they are hoping to reopen in the morning.
Hope they do as only only other option would be to either get a lift to Shrewsbury or drive all the way to London.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Derby to Chesterfield is closed and Ilkeston is still flooded. If there's no way for trains or crew to get to Sheffield then how would you propose they run a service?
I already pointed out up thread that there are 4 EMR 158s in Sheffield station that have been there for the last 24 hours at least, so it would have been a simple matter of sending drivers in taxis up the M1 so they could run a Sheffield- Liverpool service.

TPE went the extra mile today, EMT threw in the towel. If I were a regular traveller on this route, next time there's disruption which TOC do you think I'd be likely to favour?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Everything from Lime Street towards Sheffield now cancelled.

Unless there's localised flooding on the route, its a poor show.

LowLevel

Established Member
After 1993 it was entirely Nottingham until EMT opened the Derby local depot in 2008 when those guards took on a few trips a day, the drivers have always been Nottingham. Pre 1993 various depots including Liverpool, Peterborough and March had a hand in it I believe.
In Central days I recall seeing the same guards on the Liverpool-Crewe section of the Liverpool-Stansted Airport service and the Liverpool-Manchester section of Liverpool-Norwich.
Nottingham guards did used to travel passenger/assist from Liverpool to New St but never signed via Runcorn. New St, Wolverhampton and Leicester guards who also at various points worked the Stansted - Liverpool also didn't sign via Sheffield.
I already pointed out up thread that there are 4 EMR 158s in Sheffield station that have been there for the last 24 hours at least, so it would have been a simple matter of sending drivers in taxis up the M1 so they could run a Sheffield- Liverpool service.

TPE went the extra mile today, EMT threw in the towel. If I were a regular traveller on this route, next time there's disruption which TOC do you think I'd be likely to favour?
It's not a simple matter though. Reliably obtaining taxis has been a big problem today, particularly in Nottingham where the wait times were over an hour for more lucrative non contract work. 2 x 4 car 158s doesn't allow you to do much. They've already been out and about working so will need fuel before too long. Ironically the EMR services have been far more reliable than TPE for the last few years.

Ridercross

RTT showing no trains beyond Whitlocks End until at least Tuesday. That flooding at Wood End must have done a decent amount of damage.
Yes, and to make things worse for passengers, according to the WMR website, the ticket offices at Stratford, Yardley Wood and Shirley have been unstaffed today, just on the kind of day when passengers may have been looking for information!

william.martin

On Moderation
It seems like the rail replacement boat service on the line from Shrewsbury to Birmingham is over and it was confirmed safe for operation in the early hours of this morning. Under the bridge in Wellington it was over 4ft deep in water yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.