• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Gertrude - Friday 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
I don't know if Storm Gertrude is getting, er, "her" own thread, but the Highland Main Line between Perth and Inverness (amongst others) several lines in Scotland will have no service until at least 4pm tomorrow.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/service-changes-due-storm-gertrude-friday-29-january

No trains are expected to run on the following lines from tomorrow morning (29 January) until late afternoon. Check your journey for updates as other areas could be affected:

Inverness - Kyle/Thurso/Wick
Perth - Inverness
Glasgow - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig
Dumbarton Central - Helensburgh Central
Kilmarnock - Stranraer
Kilwinning - Ardrossan/Largs

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

Storm Gertrude is going to hit the UK tomorrow as a result alterations are in place on some routes

North England

A speed restriction is likely to be imposed on the West Coast Main Line between Oxenholme Lake District and Penrith North Lakes from 07:00 to 11:00.

A speed restriction is also likely to be imposed between Ribblehead and Kirkby Stephen from the start of service until 11:00.

North Wales

A speed restriction will be in place between Holyhead and Llandudno Junction from start of service to 11:00.

Scotland

No trains are expected to run on the following routes from tomorrow morning until approximately 16:00:

Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh / Thurso / Wick
Perth - Inverness
Glasgow Queen Street - Oban / Fort William / Mallaig
Dumbarton Central - Helensburgh Central
Kilmarnock - Stranraer
Kilwinning - Ardrossan / Largs

The following routes will be running, but with a reduced service:

Edinburgh - Glasgow via Falkirk High (half-hourly service)
Edinburgh / Glasgow - Dunblane (hourly service)

More services could be affected at short notice tomorrow with fallen trees and power lines the most likely issue tomorrow

You can get the latest travel news here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx or by using #StormGertrude on twitter

richa2002

Established Member
Can we go back to the days when a storm was just a storm and didn't have a name :(.

crispy1978

Can we go back to the days when a storm was just a storm and didn't have a name :(.

I thought there was a storm Jonas earlier in the week, then I wondered what we'd had since Frank - so wondered where G, H and I had vanished to - I guess Jonas was an American naming, and not a Met Office one - all very confusing, I agree!

Whether it is named, or not, I hope everyone stays safe, and there isn't too much damage.

RepTCTC

I thought there was a storm Jonas earlier in the week, then I wondered what we'd had since Frank - so wondered where G, H and I had vanished to - I guess Jonas was an American naming, and not a Met Office one - all very confusing, I agree!
The Met Office names them with British names starting with the same letter as the Septics name said same storms before sending them our way. If we don't hear from certain letters, that's because Storm Cletus (or whatever they called it) has merely turned into Interminable Light Drizzle Chardonnay over the Atlantic.

marks87

Established Member
Good to see them doing some forward planning!

Yet you'll still get people complaining. I remember the last time ScotRail pre-emptively cancelled services and the abuse on social media was unreal.

I know it can be frustrating but surely not being able to travel is preferable to hitting an obstruction that's blown onto the line (or indeed being hit by something).

Storm Gertrude is going to hit the UK tomorrow as a result alterations are in place on some routes

More services could be affected at short notice tomorrow with fallen trees and power lines the most likely issue tomorrow

You can get the latest travel news here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx or by using #StormGertrude on twitter

I can see the GSW being affected by the rain. Heavy flooding caused closures earlier this week, and the forecast rain is to be heavier than the other day.

backontrack

Established Member
The Met Office names them with British names starting with the same letter as the Septics name said same storms before sending them our way. If we don't hear from certain letters, that's because Storm Cletus (or whatever they called it) has merely turned into Interminable Light Drizzle Chardonnay over the Atlantic.

Yeah, we had Storm Barney and Storm Clodagh, but those just fizzled out a bit.

berneyarms

Established Member

I think you will find that they are named jointly between the UK Met Office and Met Éireann and that they are a mix of both British and Irish names!

Just to keep the record straight!

341o2

Established Member
maybe the naming system...the south was hit by torrential rain which started lunchtime tues and did not stop until wednesday evening.

the line between Souhampton and Bournemouth was flooded in the vicinity of Brockenhurst

passengers (sorry customers in SWT speak) were delayed for up to three hours

Earlier today SWT advised that the line had been reopened for the passage of diesel trains subject to speed restrictions, but not electric trains

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
maybe the naming system...the south was hit by torrential rain which started lunchtime tues and did not stop until wednesday evening.

the line between Souhampton and Bournemouth was flooded in the vicinity of Brockenhurst

passengers (sorry customers in SWT speak) were delayed for up to three hours

Earlier today SWT advised that the line had been reopened for the passage of diesel trains subject to speed restrictions, but not electric trains

Caledonian Sleepers refer to their travellers as "Guests".

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Met Office names them with British names starting with the same letter as the Septics name said same storms before sending them our way.
This doesn't really make sense (even once "Septics" - which I've never heard in this context - is looked up) and, even when I've worked out what you're trying to say, it's not accurate.

Ianigsy

The name Jonas appears in the King James Bible, as I found the other night- it's referring to the character better known as Jonah, so it's presumably the Greek variant.

me123

Established Member
Yet you'll still get people complaining. I remember the last time ScotRail pre-emptively cancelled services and the abuse on social media was unreal.

I know it can be frustrating but surely not being able to travel is preferable to hitting an obstruction that's blown onto the line (or indeed being hit by something).

It's ridiculous. Scotrail are now very open about disruption when the weather's like this, and have plans in place in advance. They advise people of these plans so that they can make a decision in advance about traveling - they can travel earlier if they need to, or consider an alternative mode (or work at home if that's an option).

That sounds reasonable, however Scotrail get accused of "just giving up" when they make sensible adjustments to service based on the weather (and the weather is foul this morning - I'm dreading my drive to work).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The last few times these pre-emptive bans have been announced, the area covered appears to have accurately matched the area subject to damage when the storm arrived. So (unless we've just got lucky) it appears forecasting is now good enough to predict the effect with some certainty 12-24 hours ahead.

On this basis I think it's sensible to cancel services in advance so people know not to try to travel, and hopefully those who have to cancel meetings etc will also have heard the news and be sympathetic. I presume ticket restrictions are also lifted.

sprinterguy

Established Member
80mph restrictions to electric traction currently in place on the ECML between Darlington and Durham, and Widdrington and the Scottish border as a result of this weather system.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's ridiculous, isn't it? I don't know why there is this sudden need to glorify these bouts of heavy weather with ridiculous names.

Can we not just accept that the weather is going to be particularly poor and get on with managing the effects regardless of whether it has a name or not?

Last edited:

Carntyne

The naming of storms has proved really useful in getting the general public engaged and actually looking at the plans, which is the whole reason behind it.

There's a few speed restrictions across network just now but services generally holding up well. Right decision again to cancel in advance looking at the impact so far this morning.

cuccir

Established Member
There's a few speed restrictions across network just now but services generally holding up well. Right decision again to cancel in advance looking at the impact so far this morning.

Except for the fact that the East Coast Mainline is closed between Newcastle and Berwick!

Edit - there has been a further 'blockage' in the overhead wires at Morpeth in the last 15 minutes, so likely to be disrupted north of Newcastle for a while.

gavin

Adverse weather advice for Friday 29 January

0830 Update:

Storm Gertrude is causing high wind speeds across Northern England and Scotland. We are working with Network Rail to provide additional resources and implement contingency arrangements. With the strength of the winds expected, railway infrastructure could be damaged as severe winds can blow debris and trees onto tracks and damage equipment such as overhead electric power lines and signals.

Overhead wire damage South of Berwick-Upon-Tweed and separately an object caught on the overhead wires are causing delays of up to 60 minutes to services. A tree is also reported to have caused damage to the overhead wires near Morpeth causing further delays. Services North of Darlington are also subject to delay due to speed restrictions imposed as a result of high wind speeds.

Virgin Trains are running however short notice cancellations and delays are likely as trains and traincrew are out of position. Rail replacement coach services will be provided where road conditions allow.

Mutual ticket acceptance is in place with Cross Country trains on services Newcastle-Edinburgh in both directions.

We will be providing regular updates to customers through this page or by following @Virgin_TrainsEC on Twitter.
https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/travel-information/travel-alerts/
Virgin Trains east coast are now advising passengers to delay travel until later today or tomorrow all tickets will be valid

Last edited by a moderator:

al78

Established Member
80mph restrictions to electric traction currently in place on the ECML between Darlington and Durham, and Widdrington and the Scottish border as a result of this weather system.

It's ridiculous, isn't it? I don't know why there is this sudden need to glorify these bouts of heavy weather with ridiculous names.

Can we not just accept that the weather is going to be particularly poor and get on with managing the effects regardless of whether it has a name or not?

It is being done on a trial basis, it has nothing to do with glorification, it is merely giving an identification to destructive storms, which can be useful if historical references need to be made. I believe the insurance industry likes the use of storm names for the purpose of identifying past significant windstorms. Prior to the Met Office trial European windstorms have been named by an institution in Germany, so it is not a new thing. Best to see what the overall results are after the trial period before prematurely leaping to judgement.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member

Bloody annoying - it only needs tighter mast spacing and higher tensioning.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It is being done on a trial basis, it has nothing to do with glorification, it is merely giving an identification to destructive storms, which can be useful if historical references need to be made. I believe the insurance industry likes the use of storm names for the purpose of identifying past significant windstorms. Prior to the Met Office trial European windstorms have been named by an institution in Germany, so it is not a new thing. Best to see what the overall results are after the trial period before prematurely leaping to judgement.
If it has some sort of practical application then fair enough. I think it's still daft to personify natural events like this though: What would be wrong with a nice, logical alpha-numeric naming convention instead, rather than pulling daft names out of a hat (or so it seems)?

Deepgreen

Established Member
If it has some sort of practical application then fair enough. I think it's still daft to personify natural events like this though: What would be wrong with a nice, logical alpha-numeric naming convention instead, rather than pulling daft names out of a hat (or so it seems)?

Writing as an amateur meteorologist (and professional railwayman), I believe it has been done to follow the convention established long ago of naming hurricanes in the Atlantic. Its practical application may not be readily apparent, but I suspect it will be related to historical data review, and possibly to engage the public more with forecasts by presenting an unambiguous storm identification for use in the media, etc.

Cletus

Established Member

Never had a storm named after me!

berneyarms

Established Member

The Met Office and Met Éireann asked the public to nominate names for the storms, starting with A and running through the alphabet.

This page on Met Éireann's website explains the logic behind it, and the interaction with the US National Hurricane Centre.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=338

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Forth road bridge closed due winds. Inspections before any re-opening of bridge - or Forum thread.

Muzer

Established Member
Curious as to what is likely to happen with the highland sleeper with the North ECML closed. Will they still send it to KGX as that's what people are expecting, or might they divert it to EUS at the last minute?

Curious as to if it's feasible to see an S&C diversion! Something like Edinburgh — (Glasgow) — G&SW — Carlisle — S&C — Settle — Leeds — Doncaster — Lincoln (as booked) — etc. — KGX? Or will they likely just send it down the WCML via the G&SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.