• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strangest Diversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Established Member
About 1970, as a schoolboy I travelled from Euston to Manchester for a university interview on a day with heavy falling snow - got there OK but the WCML was blocked by the time we returned, and the train was diesel-hauled on its return from Manchester, somehow reaching the Midland Main Line and arriving at St Pancras. I wish I could remember what precise route we took.

Wouldn't happen these days!

I guess it used either Woodhead or Hope Valley routes. I would wager that Hope Valley was more likely. Though it could have gone Stoke-Derby-Leicester.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulLothian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulLothian
"About 1970, as a schoolboy I travelled from Euston to Manchester for a university interview on a day with heavy falling snow - got there OK but the WCML was blocked by the time we returned, and the train was diesel-hauled on its return from Manchester, somehow reaching the Midland Main Line and arriving at St Pancras. I wish I could remember what precise route we took.

Wouldn't happen these days!"

I guess it used either Woodhead or Hope Valley routes. I would wager that Hope Valley was more likely. Though it could have gone Stoke-Derby-Leicester.

I'm fairly sure that I would have noticed the Woodhead or Hope Valley routes even through the driving snow :) I think I do remember Derby.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Does anyone know if Derby to Birmingham New Street services were ever diverted over the now closed Lichfield City to Walsall line?

Jock

Whilst returning from Glasgow, just last week, to a relative in Edinburgh I found myself onboard the 2105 Cross Country departure from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh.

Not a strange diversion as such, I fell asleep at Carstairs and woke up to see Cameron Toll shopping centre on my right. Turns out we were sent via the Suburban Lines which is the trains booked route apparently

Whistler40145

Established Member
I remember going from Glasgow Central to Preston via Newton, Blantyre, Hamilton, Motherwell, Holytown & Law Junction on an 86!

I think we were diverted due to Engineering Works between Newton & Motherwell.

When was the last time that a 86 hauled CrossCountry service would have been diverted via Shawlands, Newton, Hamilton, Motherwell & Law Jn or via Cathcart line, Newton, Hamilton, Motherwell & Law Jn?

route101

Established Member
I remember going from Glasgow Central to Preston via Newton, Blantyre, Hamilton, Motherwell, Holytown & Law Junction on an 86!

I think we were diverted due to Engineering Works between Newton & Motherwell.

When was the last time that a 86 hauled CrossCountry service would have been diverted via Shawlands, Newton, Hamilton, Motherwell & Law Jn or via Cathcart line, Newton, Hamilton, Motherwell & Law Jn?

A late Cross Country service from Edinburgh to Glasgow went via the Shotts Line , Hamilton and Mount Florida . Shame that dosent happen anymore .

Ive been on a Diverted East Kilbride service via polmadie and seen the Neilstons and Newtons go via Shields.

sutty

With all of the fun and games at Wolverhampton yesterday (power surge killing signals, ATW driver twisting his ankle using the signal telephone and needing an ambulance leaving his train at Wolverhampton)

My 17:20 B'ham to Glasgow central via Wolverhampton was diverted via Aston, Perry Barr, etc.

That was interesting :)

Julia

I recall back in the 1980s taking a Birmingham-Norwich - the incoming 31 had broken its coupling at the leading end and couldn't run round, and clearly local staff just wanted to get it out of their hands asap. So we were sent out of New Street westwards through Five Ways and picked up the proper route with two unusual chords (Lifford West - Lifford East and St Andrews - Landor St).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It was a couple of years ago (I think) when the lines out of Neville Hill depot to the mainline were fouled by a unit movement, which stopped all traffic between Leeds and York. We were making our usual monthly journey on TPE from Manchester Airport to Durham. We pulled into Leeds as normal, then the Class 185 reversed back out of Leeds to commence a diversion route via Woodlesford and Castleford, then along the current freight line before regaining the normal route at Milford Junction onwards towards York.

I had never travelled on a passenger train before from Castleford on that freight route, so it was quite an experience.

ReverendFozz

It was a couple of years ago (I think) when the lines out of Neville Hill depot to the mainline were fouled by a unit movement, which stopped all traffic between Leeds and York. We were making our usual monthly journey on TPE from Manchester Airport to Durham. We pulled into Leeds as normal, then the Class 185 reversed back out of Leeds to commence a diversion route via Woodlesford and Castleford, then along the current freight line before regaining the normal route at Milford Junction onwards towards York.

I had never travelled on a passenger train before from Castleford on that freight route, soit was quite an experience.

I did that one about 11 years ago, went through Wakefield and Pontefract as well I think

Minilad

Established Member
With all of the fun and games at Wolverhampton yesterday (power surge killing signals, ATW driver twisting his ankle using the signal telephone and needing an ambulance leaving his train at Wolverhampton)

My 17:20 B'ham to Glasgow central via Wolverhampton was diverted via Aston, Perry Barr, etc.

That was interesting :)

Add to that a fatality in the Winson Green area last last night. The 2150 Cardiff - Birmingham which is routed via Worcester and Kiddy was trapped at Smethwick Rolfe Street as the driver and guard didn't sign via Soho and Aston.
Until two very kind drivers on their way back in a taxi from CZ volunteered to carry on to Smethwick and route conduct. Finally arrived New St around 00.45

sutty

Add to that a fatality in the Winson Green area last last night. The 2150 Cardiff - Birmingham which is routed via Worcester and Kiddy was trapped at Smethwick Rolfe Street as the driver and guard didn't sign via Soho and Aston.
Until two very kind drivers on their way back in a taxi from CZ volunteered to carry on to Smethwick and route conduct. Finally arrived New St around 00.45

That's terrible. It makes for a really bad day on the West Midland's rail network.

I was on the (delayed) 06:49 LM from Shrewsbury to New Street earlier and there was a lengthy apology from the guard who read out details of how to claim delay repay, which was a nice touch.

Martin_1981

Just trying to think back to April 1998 and more recently in July 2007 when the Birmingham-Bristol and Birmingham-Reading cross country routes were both closed at the same time due to flooding.

Anyone know of any unusual diversions which arose from these? I.E Birmingham-Bristol/SW via Hereford and Newport and Birmingham-Reading/South Coast via WCML?

Established Member
Westbury - London Waterloo on a HST last year, would already be a diversion. However, after 43015's cab radio failed, the entire train had to be turned around using the triangle north of the station. Ended up passing through Trowbridge twice and going halfway up the Melksham branch :lol:

Crossover

Established Member
Not a diversion but not exactly standard routing. Manchester Victoria-Manchester Piccadilly on a TPE class 185. You get to Salford Cresent and stop on the avoiding line. Then, if you watch, you see the driver walk by the window as he/she changes ends, then you continue on to Piccadilly.

Quite amusing first time you see it for some reason :D

I wish the driver had done that on a train that I took via that route a few years ago (which confused the heck out of most of the passengers!)

We stopped on the avoider (outside the station I think...in fact I recall passing through Salford and stopping further along before passing back through Salford - maybe it was a new diversion at the time), the train was completely packed with suitcases adorning most of the spare floor space. We all thought we had broken down when all of a sudden the driver and another guy (I can only assume route conductor at the time) started making their way through the carriage, moving luggage aside as well as climbing over some of it.

The next time I was on such a diversion we stopped in a platform at Salford and the driver hotfooted it down the platform :P

I had never travelled on a passenger train before from Castleford on that freight route, so it was quite an experience.

I have done that line in reverse, from York. At the time didn't really understand the significance of it but looks like I did the freight line and probably through the disused platform at Castleford

Bevan Price

Established Member
I wonder if any Liverpool to Euston services have been diverted via St Helen's Central & the freight line @ Bamfurlong?

Possible but unlikely. However, loco-hauled Liverpool - Newcastle services sometimes used that route due to engineering work - some also went via Ditton Junction and Widnes South to St. Helens.
Some other, mostly now impossible, diversions in that area included:
1. Liverpool Lime St. - Newton le Willows - Bamfurlong Junction - Hindley South - Tyldesley - Eccles - Manchester Exchange.
2. As 1 to Bamfurlong Junction then Whelley line to De Trafford Junction (reverse/loco change) - Hindley - Atherton - Manchester Victoria.
3. As 1 to Bamfurlong Junction then Wigan Wallgate or Wigan North Western (reverse) - Atherton - Manchester Victoria.
4. WCML. Warrington - Bamfurlong Junction - Whelley line - Standish - Preston.

LightEngine

Remember travelling to Paddington in the early 80s to catch a class 50 diverted over Bletchley Flyover on the Paddington - Manchester service. The event was plastered all over the departure board , flagged up as 'of note to rail enthusiasts'

Not a diversion, but I remember , around the same time, smuggling onto the Grand National Special from London at Crewe station where it was hooked up to a class 40 for the drag to Aintree. Hid behind copy of the Sporting Times! There was two inspectors with very gold looking caps on the platform when we got off, but sheer weight of numbers got us through. (we did have valid tickets for crewe - aintree, just not on that train)

Holly

My most memorable diversion was a Liverpool Lime Street to Crewe Sunday evening train.

Lime Street - Sefton Park - Allerton - Ditton Junction - Widnes South - Warrington Bank Quay (Low Level) - Warrington Arpley (reverse and run around) - Walton Old Junction (Turn around and Reverse) - Warrington Bank Quay (High Level) (reverse) - Acton Bridge (where I alighted). In 1961 if memory serves, just before the transporter bridge closed. I recall there was a coach (single-decker bus) to take both Runcorn passengers (all two of them, just one young couple) by road from Acton Bridge to Runcorn, one heck of an extended journey time for them!

Back in those days there was an old push n pull (tank engine and one coach) service between Acton Bridge and Warrington with a stop somewhere in between (long gone).

Last edited:

ilkestonian

Does anyone know if Derby to Birmingham New Street services were ever diverted over the now closed Lichfield City to Walsall line?

I'm certain I did this in the early 1970's - it would have been Sunday engineering work on the direct route.

I had several Midland Railtourer (weekly unlimited travel) tickets and used to go from Stafford to Long Eaton (thence to Toton!) on the Sunday, and on at least one occasion used the Lichfield route between B'ham & Derby

Whistler40145

Established Member
Was it ever known in pre-voyager days for a Scortish/Northwest bound CrossCountry service from Birmingham New Street to be diverted via Saltley, Sutton Park & Bescot?

Class377/5

Established Member
Best one I can do is not something I rode on but watched. Due to an incident on the Catford Loop the Kentish Town - Sevenoaks trains were diverted via Lewisham going Peckham Rye, Lewisham, Ladywell, Beckenham Junction and back en route at Shortlands. This happened to about four trains.

So FCC did get a train to Lewisham without the completed TLP!

Eagle

Established Member
Was it ever known in pre-voyager days for a Scortish/Northwest bound CrossCountry service from Birmingham New Street to be diverted via the Sutton Park line?

Wouldn't surprise me. Currently the last RDG–BHM on a weekday runs via Aston and Soho and arrives in New Street from the west (this service also uses the platform lines at Didcot rather than the avoiding lines, which is unusual for XC).

Whistler40145

Established Member
Eagle, do you mean the XC service is routed from Stechford to Aston, Perry Barr & Soho to Birmingham New Street?

I was meaning e.g. a Bristol to Manchester service would be routed via Five Ways & then if both Soho & Aston routes are shut, it could have been routed via Saltley, Sutton Park & Walsall to Wolverhampton.

Eagle

Established Member
Eagle, do you mean the XC service is routed from Stechford to Aston, Perry Barr & Soho to Birmingham New Street?

I was meaning e.g. a Bristol to Manchester service would be routed via Five Ways & then if both Soho & Aston routes are shut, it could have been routed via Saltley, Sutton Park & Walsall to Wolverhampton.

Yeah, I was just saying that it's not uncommon for XC services to take the scenic freight routes round the West Midlands (for example the southbound Manchester–Bristols almost all use the Camp Hill line), so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sutton Park line has appeared on some routings.

Whistler40145

Established Member
The use of Camp Hill is certainly different from the 1990s when most Manchester-Bristol/Plymouth/Penzance services were routed via Aston, New Street & Five Ways or with a reversal at New Street.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I've gone from Bridgend to Cardiff on a 175 via The Vale of Glamorgan Line (through Barry). Journey took 45 minutes, supposed to take 20 :P

I've also gone via Newport on a CrossCountry service, and I was diverted somewhere on the 2212 Birmingham - Bristol XC 221 as we didn't get into Temple Meads until 0020 :P

richw

Veteran Member
I've gone from Bridgend to Cardiff on a 175 via The Vale of Glamorgan Line (through Barry). Journey took 45 minutes, supposed to take 20 :P

I've also gone via Newport on a CrossCountry service, and I was diverted somewhere on the 2212 Birmingham - Bristol XC 221 as we didn't get into Temple Meads until 0020 :P

The Newport diversion was a regular weekend diversion for a long time while major engineering works were being undertaken!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Eagle

Established Member

They're mainly going via Newport/Severn Tunnel Junction all this weekend (and also Lichfield vice Tamworth). In fact the diagrams are so messed up by this that the Plymouths are now going to Newcastle and the Scotlands to Southampton.

spionkop64

Very short, but odd for the passengers diversion at Shipley in 1988. Failed train blocking the then only main line (Leeds-Skipton) platform. Loco hauled Leeds-Carlisle arrives outside the station, after a conflab with the signalman, train runs into the Bradford-Ilkley platform (bi-di running had just been installed for London-BDQ trains). Engine hooked off, runs around train, propells train, passengers still on board, over the cross over at Bradford Junction (now Shipley South) and then charges off through the Bradford-Keighley platform and away to Carlisle. Ten minutes all in, driver and signalmen knew what they were doing!

Few weeks later, Carlisle-Leeds (class 47 hauled) comes to a halt on then through line at Shipley. Problem at Thackley tunnel, driver speaks to signalman at Guiseley Jn. As this is going on guard leans out of window at rear of train and asks signalman at Bingley Jn what's going on. 'You're off via Ilkley and RR' comes the reply. The guard said 'I don't sign it' just as the signal cleared and the train set off! Despite the route knowledge issues the train did RR at Ilkley and eventually got to Leeds.

Grand Central often do an early Sunday BDI-Whitehall curve (reverse), run through Wakefield Westgate, down the single line to Wakefield Kirkgate. From memory I think that train also went to KGX via the joint line!

Status
Not open for further replies.