• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Structured interview for drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommygun2012

Hi, recenty passed my assessment day with GA and got my structured interview coming up soon. Looking for any advice from anyone whos had one before as to what to expect. I've received my practice questions and that details a bit about the interview but would like to know more so I know how to best prepare.

Cheers

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

navydavy1968

Mate just type 'structured interview' in the search, and all the expert advice that the kind lads and lassies have inputted on this forum over the years will be at your fingertips.

If you still can't quite fathom it out (which I'm sure you will be able to) then come back!

letmedrive

I did mine in January, my advice is leave no stone unturned in your preperation.

You can easily find the type of questions you are likely to be asked on here think carefully about the subjects. You will first need to write your answers to the questions there is enough time to do this but not lots to spare if you are under prepared and need to think on your feet. When they question you on it later they are very thorough and will choose avenues to pursue you down. Do not panic I think thats the key, if you need to pause and consider your answer do so and don't be afraid of the silence its all part of the game.

One final thing, I travelled with another bloke and we both encountered the same tactic. You have given your answer to a question and then been questioned on it for a few minutes only to be told for some reason they don't think your scenario is suitable enough so can you come up with another. I suspect it's a deliberate ploy to see if you can think on your feet if a plan needs to be changed so I strongly reccomend you have a back up situation in mind.

Wishing you the very best of luck.

Tommygun2012

Thanks for the advice I'm going to do as much prep as possible. To be honest I don't want to bog myself down with to much and worry about it! All I can do is give it my best shot!!

My advice would be:

1) Give rock solid examples specifically answering what they ask on the prep-sheet

2) Be prepared to talk about what you have written in extreme detail

3) Think about what the interviewer might be looking for and try to tailor your answers accordingly

4) Listen to the questions you are being asked and ask yourself 'what are they looking for'. Not so much a trick question but maybe one that has an underlying motive.

5) If they ask you the same question twice, thinks about your previous answer and add more info!

Good luck!

Tommygun2012

Thanks for the advice. My only other question is will they be asking me anything about the role, company etc or is it purely questions based on previous experience i.e when have you dealt with an emergency situation?

letmedrive

In my case it was purely previous experiences, the role and the company was covered in the final managers interview.

But never a bad idea to give yourself an idea just in case they throw you a curve ball.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
One hint on this - If you find yourself being asked the same question, maybe in a different form, repeatedly, they are not trying to trip you up, they are not satisfied with your answer. Provide more evidence of the competence being sought.

Dave A

All examples you give must be about what YOU did. If other people were involved or/and "took the lead" more than you did, try and think of another scenario or twist it.

Best of luck!

Beveridges

Established Member
Is this Structured Interview the one that is part of the Assessment Center with the Assessor at the end, or is it the corporate one with the Driver Managers? Because I'm not sure which one you mean, and the difference between the two is huge

When I was interviewed by LM in November I was told it was the structured interview but then they started asking me general questions about the company and what I knew about them. I then queried this saying I thought this was the structured interview as that was what I'd prepared for and not the managers interview but they said they were combined! Bit strange as with ATW they were completely separate. Luckily I already work as a guard so I was able to blag my way through it but it was a bit unnerving at the time.

Tommygun2012

I'm through to the final interview stage and would like some advice please on what to expect in this part? I'm getting clued up on the company, role do I need to do anything else?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.