• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stupid/amusing rail-related dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Although I don't drive, I've had one driving an RML (Routemaster) through Melksham!!! This was years ago, but I remember I couldn't be bothered to follow the road, so I took shortcuts through other peoples back gardens, smashing through fences, sheds, over plants etc!

I'm sure I've told on here the one I had of asking the driver of the X72 (Devizes to Bath) if I could drive the bus to Bath and he let me take over the Eclipse! The driver was a regular on the X72 in real life too, usually on the Alexander CityBuses then the Eclispes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
Just last night I had a dream where I was walking down a platform of a station that seemed to be Droitwich Spa but with 3 platforms. There was a Chiltern Silver service sat in platform 3 waiting to depart, to find myself then walking into the cab on the DVT and discovered I was the guard. I had been instructed to check tickets (by whom I don't know) so walked into the first carriage as the train left towards London. I got to the first table (despite supposedly being in a mk3 coach, it looked more like the interior of a 170) and a woman with a small child who asked to purchase a ticket to Stoke-on-Trent. I then realised I did not have the portable ticket machine that guards carry (sorry don't know what they're called) and went to the DVT where it was lying in a cardboard box. As I approached I said "Oh, well I haven't been trained on one of these things, but I'll give it a try" (slightly embarrassed). I entered the details of the journey onto a two-tone LCD screen (now I have never seen what the screen looks like in real life) and waited for it to give the price, but I was confronted with a map of local counties - if you selected one it gave a different price - I couldn't work out which one it was then the dream sort of fizzled out as I woke up.

Anyone have a possible explanation for that dream..?
I try not to read much into dreams (I'm not sure if reading things into dreams is at all scientifically valid, and haven't really looked it up), but I occasionally have dreams where I'm forced to/feel obliged to do something I have no idea how to do, and it going badly wrong.

Cruithne3753

In the earliest dream I can recall having, I was in my pushchair with my mother pushing. There was a lone, silver-metallic coloured railway carriage on a nearby embankment, which shattered silently into millions of fragments for no apparent reason...

deltic1989

Established Member
I have had several transport related dreams over the years.

One that sticks out in my memory:
I was standing by High St Level Crossing in Lincoln and, I observed a class 47 and a rake of mk2s approaching along the through lines.
On reaching the LC the train took a sharp left turn and started travelling along High St, and strangely whilst the loco remained full size the coaches shrank to about O gauge size. I then saw my Mother (still seemingly full size) trapped in one of the coaches and woke with a start.

In another I was driving my truck along a desolate stretch of highway in what in my mind was Nevada (even though I have never been). All of a sudden I was surrounded by Hells Angels type bikers all looking rather mean and, something told me that they wanted to rob me. I reached down into the foot well and retrieved a shotgun (I don't carry a shotgun in my cab just to make that clear) and started blazing away at these bikers that were climbing all over the truck by this point with a Call of Duty style kill count appering on the windscreen. I then realise that I have to take my mandatory break. I pull into a truckstop go into a burger king and return with whoppers for me and the surviving bikers, then we hit the road again in the same fashion as before. I then woke up, very puzzled.
The result of CoD and The Fast and the Furious after work I think.

I have also had dreams about driving buses. These are ususally Leyland Nationals crusing around whatever area I happen to be in at that time but, I can never work out the semi-automatic gearbox so I am always screaming along in 1st gear. If anyone knows how to work the gearbox in a National could they tell me so I know for next time? :D

12CSVT

Established Member
In another I was driving my truck along a desolate stretch of highway in what in my mind was Nevada (even though I have never been). All of a sudden I was surrounded by Hells Angels type bikers all looking rather mean and, something told me that they wanted to rob me. I reached down into the foot well and retrieved a shotgun (I don't carry a shotgun in my cab just to make that clear) and started blazing away at these bikers that were climbing all over the truck by this point with a Call of Duty style kill count appering on the windscreen.

Been watching this by any chance ?

[youtube]anmAvGrgzgQ[/youtube]

43021HST

Established Member
Best rail related dream I had was, I was at Reading Station (pre-refurb) and I was watching HST's come in, but in place of the front powercar on all the HST sets at the station, it was a Western in BR Blue.

The sets still had the rear powercar though, but the best thing was they still had valenta engines. Also The HST sets were in the BR Blue livery.

Wonderful dream, I didn't want to wake up.

Muzer

Established Member
I dreamt I was running to Swaythling to catch a train to Salisbury. When I was on the footbridge, a person asked me "Is that platform the better one, then?" (indicating the one to which I was heading). I replied "Yes, if you're heading to Salisbury!". I arrived onto the platform only to find I had just missed the train. It was a rather weird train - it looked like the front half of the front carriage and rear half of the rear carriage of a 450, with a load of the body plating removed, literally sticking up in the air leaning against each other where they joined. It was also hauled by a very small locomotive. My only reaction was "they must have run out of 158s again". The train (which was going the wrong way on the line anyway compared to what they should at Swaythling) looped all the way around the station so it ended up going off into the distance at an angle perpendicular to the platform.

Gathursty

Established Member
I think my dream was either in a tube station or a Merseyrail underground station but I recall my lift approaching and Michael Palin being within when the doors opened. I entered the lift and after we set off to go up to ground level, I pressed the emergency stop and looked at him in a starstruck gaze until I fell out of the dream.

HST Power

Established Member
I have a bizarre habit of dreaming about being on an East Coast service normally the week before I am scheduled to be on one.

Not rail-related, but I also have a habit of dreaming about being hit by a tidal wave on a desert island, and again this always seems to happen the week before (or when we are in the process of booking) an overseas holiday.

It's just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.