• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stupid passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
While waiting at East Croydon one afternoon on a First Capital Connect 319, a middle-aged chap and his wife boarded. The conversation went thus:

"Excuse me, does this train go to Brighton."
"Um, yes, it does."
"Ah. Well, we'd like to go to Gatwick Airport, not Brighton.
"Uh... we call at Gatwick Airport. It's the next stop."
"That's not good enough."

There was a dissatisfied sigh and he walked off the train, hiks wife trundling along behind like a tanned suitcase. I have no idea why our lovely service wasn't good enough, or if they ever made it to Gatwick Airport ..:lol:. One of life's little mysteries, I suppose.

He obviously wanted a VEG unit ::lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Was an FCC 319 not good enough then?:D
Cheeky blighter! If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for them. <D

How bonkers. Quite how they expect to get there faster (well, unless the 319 got delayed by a 442 which was seeking employment as a cooked item in a bread roll), I don't know.

Unless, as above, they wanted to actually speed up time itself to avoid a rattly-doored, stuffy, graffitied tin.
Perhaps they were conducting thought experiments. If you didn't see that train arrive at your destination, did it ever really arrive at all? :D

I can't blame them for not wanting to travel on it though. If you thought it was Murder on the Orient Express, just experience a 4 car 319 in the afternoon peak!

He obviously wanted a VEG unit ::lol:
An airport train with lots of doors, plentiful luggage racks, and comfortable seating? Pish and wibble! ;)

Fincra5

Established Member
I would need to write a book or a study on the sheer amount of stupid people i have encountered..

"Does the Brighton train go to Brighton or do I need to chance (from HOVE)"

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
I was on an XC Nottingham to Cardiff recently which stopped at University, someone got on who obviously wanted an LM cross city service to Redditch and ended up in Cheltenham.
Not only the wrong train but the wrong train operator!

Hah, I've seen the exact same before.

Woman who was clearly off her face on something, ran down the stairs at University and got straight on our Cardiff 170 service, at the other end of the front coach from me. Despite not stopping at Selly Oak, Bournville or Kings Norton, she got up as the train approached Northfield.

When the train flew through, she then pressed the passcom (I think she pressed both, but I can't remember if both sides have one) in the vestibule she was in, started walking through the train and pressed the passcom in the vestibule nearest me. She then walked further forward and began banging on the driver's door. The guard had made his way through the train by this point, reset everything he could find, then asked her what was up. She started shouting at him "Why didn't you stop?" before going through her numerous carrier bags looking for a ticket (I don't really think she had one).

She didn't really answer him when he asked if she wanted the train to stop at Barnt Green where she could get a train back to Northfield, just kept going on about "You even saw me get up - why didn't you stop?" (the guard wasn't in our carriage). Despite no real answer, he decided to get on to Control, to get the train to stop at Barnt Green, just to get her off.

I did joke to the guard after she was off the train - did she think the passcom worked like a bus bell? He responded that it's not unusual for people to jump on the wrong train at Uni, but usually he just gets them to go back from Cheltenham. It was only because she was so abusive that he just wanted her off the train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In defence of the hapless passenger, I have to say, sometimes we will ask whether the Brighton train is going to Brighton, not because we can't read the display - we just don't trust the platform display and want a second opinion !

In other words, caught a train that I thought was the one to take me to my destination, then once we got moving they read the calling stations which omitted mine, so got off at the next station to transfer...only to find the station screens were showing that the train DID stop at my destination.

Oh, I wasn't the only one!!

The automatic announcements on ScotRail's class 318 trains forgot how to say "Kilwinning" for a few months. They must've forgotten to include the sound recording when they updated the software.

I regularly saw people getting up and leaving the train when they heard the automatic announcements skip straight to Irvine.

During morning peak times, there are express trains that don't stop at Anniesland, they fly straight through at 40 miles an hour. Sometimes, the signal at Anniesland is red and the trains have to stop alongside the platform. It's funny watching people push the "door open" buttons repeatedly in frustration.

tsr

Established Member
If you thought it was Murder on the Orient Express, just experience a 4 car 319 in the afternoon peak!

True. The warmer the better!

(Though they're not even allowed to murder people on the Orient Express any more - due to the intense popularity of the service or anything else. It's way too much bother to get staff to Betchworth to clear up the mess. On the other hand, there was a fun episode of "Cable theft on the line in front of the Orient Express" within the last year or so.)

Mex

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Glasgow Queen St Low Level is a particularly bad example. Nearly every five seconds when within aural range of the stairs, you'll hear 'Customers are reminded to always use the handrail and take care on the stairs'. This can get very irritating very quickly. It's just as well that I almost always have my headphones with me when travelling.

Back on topic, the only real mistake I've ever made is boarding a 314 at Glasgow Central on my way to Cathcart. However, in my haste, I'd neglected to look at the Departure board which would've told me that it was a Newton bound 314, which would go straight past Cathcart. I only found this out when the train was pulling out of Central. After the mandatory facepalm & internal cursing of my own stupidity, I got off at Langside and got the next Cathcart Circle service to Cathcart.

Do you find that the announcements are louder since the refit of the seating?

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Glasgow Queen St Low Level is a particularly bad example. Nearly every five seconds when within aural range of the stairs, you'll hear 'Customers are reminded to always use the handrail and take care on the stairs'. This can get very irritating very quickly. It's just as well that I almost always have my headphones with me when travelling.

it's worse when it's broken and it's just static for thirty seconds, 5 seconds of silence then static again. gives low level an eerie vibe.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
on topic: watched a man force the manual gate at a c2c station then begin to complain and mouth off when a member of gateline staff (who was a metre away) challenged him and asked for a ticket!

kevconnor

A whilst back I did overhear a conversation between a customer and a member of staff at Bury Bus Station who was quite insistent on getting the train to Manchester. They had it pointed out to them they wanted the tram but no they were sure as they had a pass for the bus and the train there must be a train that ran from Bury to Manchester. Fear they may have been about 25 years too late.

In my own job two years ago I also had someone ask when could they get the train to West Didsbury (prior to new tram line opening). Informed them they may be about 40 years too late for that but if they wished to get to east didsbury it was every 30 mins.

MrsC

Not silly passengers,but silly train companies.

Boarded my usual Inverness-Dingwall service,was facing the correct direction etc,was the platform stated on the boards,passengers seated,and across comes the announcement on the train ''This Train is for Aberdeen,this train calls at Nairn....etc''...everyone gets off the train,to then be told by staff,no,right train,wrong announcement!

Drsatan

Established Member
I traveled on the 'Pacer Farewell Tour' organised by FGW in November 2011, which involved a trip to Okehampton, along the Alphington siding, and up the Heathfield branch. At Newton Abbot, just before the train departed for Heathfield someone got on. As the train left he asked whether this was the train for Darlington, and seemed more than a little surprised when told the train was heading up a freight-only branch!

In fairness to the gentleman in question, the PIS at Newton Abbot was showing information for the next XC service to Newcastle.

fusionblue

My favourite has to be passengers who get on a wide-doored train (378, 376 etc) take one step in to clear the ledge and (despite buckets of space in all directions) just stop dead blocking everyone who is behind them.

Humans have legs. WALK!

Minilad

Established Member
I think worse than that is the ones who get off and stand there while they faff about with their trolly bag handle completely blocking the door. They have a habit of doing this at the top and bottom of escalators too. Which is probably more dangerous

341o2

Established Member
The late Sir Peter Parker once boarded a train at Crewe for a meeting in Carlisle only to realise after it set off that it was non-stop to Euston. It can't get more embarrasing than that, surely?

I believe I was about to post the same incident, from memory he jumped on the next departing train only to be carried past his destination again, and later admitted it would be a good idea to check where the train was going to and stopping before boarding it

I've seen the Talisman get under way at Kings Cross - going back to the 70's and an intending passenger burst through the barrier and attempt to board it

There was once a unit failure just outside Woking, the train came to a standstill and all lights went out. Then a passenger tried to organise a walk down the line to the station. Noone supported him.

The next ting was a door slamming and uncertain feet on the ballast

"What are you doing?"
"I'm a passenger and I'm walking to the next station"
"I'm the guard and I'm telling you to get aboard that train before you get yourself killed"

The passenger began to argue whan another train passed at speed on the adjacent line. Even experienced railwaymen don't put themselves in that situation. Door reopens and one sheepish passenger climbs back on board. It only took a few minutes to locate the fault and isolate the defective unit so disruption in having to turn off the power while a few people walked down the line averted

And the foot crossing just outside Wareham where people have been caught crossing while the warning lights are on and only just avoiding being hit by a train

And level crossings - one in the US had signs such as

"Go ahead, take a chance, we'll remove what's left of your car "
"It takes on average 20 seconds for a train to pass this crossing - whether your car is in the way or not"

And one US motorist was not going to stop at a railroad crossing with the barriers down and collided head on with another car doing the same thing. The occupants of one car were killed but the train passed unhindered as the wreck was clear of the tracks

noddingdonkey

Nearly 15 years ago. My journey was from Leeds to Bradford Int.

Passenger services via Brighouse had just resumed.... there was one train from Leeds at 5pm ish to Manchester Victoria that was via Dewsbury and Brighouse and NOT Bradford.

I got off at Cottingley.

I fell foul of the Brighouse route at Sowerby Bridge, intending Dewsbury I somewhat surprised to be passing through Halifax. It transpired that the train I was on was the previous service, running 20 minutes late. It obviously hadn't occurred to the guard that it might be a good idea to make an announcement before departing, and the station CIS was pretty much non-existent at the time.

Last edited:
Another gripe... we have 8 doors for passenger entry and everyone crams around one door waiting for the bikes to get on and follow behind.

OhNoAPacer

I have been lucky and not caught the wrong train (he says tempting fate for his next journey) but I have witnessed others doing so, the one that was amusing was the couple who got on the train standing at platform 1 at Northampton, then looked flabbergasted as it set off North - too busy chatting to notice the 'welcome aboard this London Midland service to Birmingham New Street calling at ...' notice, guess they had assumed that any train at platform 1 must be heading for Euston. I can still picture the looks on their faces.
Another one I had was when a man got on at Preston, and said I was sitting in his seat, I knew full well I was sitting in my seat, overhead sign said reserved Birmingham New Street to Carlisle. I did wonder if it had been one of those double booking incidents that I have heard can happen, so as he thrust his reservation at me I looked, well yes his seat was indeed that coach and that seat, however it was not for the Glasgow service I was sitting on but for one heading for London Euston, when I pointed this out to him his response was "so this is my seat then", it took two other passengers and the train manager to convince him he was on the wrong train!

Tom B

Established Member
There's more information than ever these days, principal stations have very large departure boards at the entrance, displays on every platform, announcements, most units have destination screens and side displays also, interior scrolling dot matrix screens, on train announcements, some still have window stickers - plus the fact that you can ASK and still people get wrong!

I was on an XC Nottingham to Cardiff recently which stopped at University, someone got on who obviously wanted an LM cross city service to Redditch and ended up in Cheltenham.
Not only the wrong train but the wrong train operator!

Part of the problem - certainly in London and especially on the Underground - is that some people seem to think that "better information" means "make more announcements". As such, your journey is filled with a continual babble of noise which you blank out, and then miss the important stuff.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not cycle or skateboard anywhere on the station."
"Please keep your Oyster and bank card separate to avoid card clash"
"Security guards patrol this station 24 hours a day"
"If you require assistance, please speak to a member of staff"
"The 10.30 to Edinburgh will now depart from Platform 5".
"There is no lift service at X station until April"
"Please remember to keep your luggage with you"
"Next weekend services may be disrupted"

ad infinitum!!

Rapidash

I've encountered a few, but I'd not say they were dense. Daft possibly...

My particular favorite is when the next round of new recruits head to Lympstone Commando, and apparently don't understand what the brightly lit 'open' button is for on the 142, and just stare at the door, expecting telepathy to do the job. I don't mean to embarrass them when pointing out the solution, but it happens. One assumes they have been instructed in the correct use of a trigger!:lol:

As the high holidays are upon us, I do get routinely asked 'Is this the service to Exmouth?' by numerous tourists at EXD. Usually whilst stood underneath the PIS. And next to the Ribena Girl. Hope none of them end up at Oakhampton!

Not as bad as the buses though. The drivers on the 12 must develop a twitch every time someone says 'Is this for Torquay?' without even looking at the front.

Glasgow Queen St Low Level is a particularly bad example. Nearly every five seconds when within aural range of the stairs, you'll hear 'Customers are reminded to always use the handrail and take care on the stairs'.

No exaggeration. It is literally every 5 seconds. There are sensors on each stairwell that play the recording if someone is standing close to the stairs. During rush hour, there's always someone on the stairs. I deliberately time my journey into Queen Street so I don't have to hear that crap for too long.

Thankfully the speakers on the main westbound stairs are broken. They just play 4 seconds of white noise every 5 seconds.

Edit: just realised this is Citizens Network talking to Strathclyder. How long until both are de-named? :(

Last edited:

LewFinnis

I was on the way down to Plymouth on Friday and at some point after we passed Newbury, a chap asked the conductor if it was the Guildford train! He had a rather long journey back as the next stop was Taunton.....
Many moons ago when I used to work in Sutton Coldfield, there was one am peak train fast from New Street and almost every day we'd have someone trying to get off at Aston or one of the other stations en route. The prize though went to the bright spark who thought he was on the Leicester train (next one from the same platform)!

plymothian

Not as bad as the buses though. The drivers on the 12 must develop a twitch every time someone says 'Is this for Torquay?' without even looking at the front.

I had that today - my service runs every 15 minutes with the xx:20 and xx:50 extended to different destinations (mostly beaches).
Every stop I ended up mantra-ing 'no I don't go to Y, you need the next one' to every single person stood at the stop - why can they not listen to the person in front of them at the queue? - so I just got later and later.
Even worse were the pass holders who just got on with no acknowledgement who came storming up blaming me for their mistake when they were half way back to where they started from.
Very bad start to the day.

Then you get those who cannot tell a 5 from a 50 or a 34 from a 32. But they never realise until its too late to easily rectify. When one route turns left and the other turns right, that should start alarm bells ringing surely?

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
I have lost count of the number of passengers who think that because they have an "open" ticket, and a seat reservation for (example) the 12.45 in seat C5, that they are entitled to seat C5 regardless of what train they catch...

PermitToTravel

Established Member
I saw someone get thoroughly headphowned on a bus last summer.

We were at Hatton Cross on an X26, and he was listening to his headphones. The driver told everybody boarding that we would not be stopping until New Malden, made numerous PAs to the effect that we would not be stopping until New Malden, and got out of his cab to tell everybody on the bus that they should leave it if they did not want to get off before New Malden.

Somewhere on the M25: "When do we get to Teddington? Oh, can you let me off please?" :lol:

deltic1989

Established Member
I've encountered a few, but I'd not say they were dense. Daft possibly...

My particular favorite is when the next round of new recruits head to Lympstone Commando, and apparently don't understand what the brightly lit 'open' button is for on the 142, and just stare at the door, expecting telepathy to do the job. I don't mean to embarrass them when pointing out the solution, but it happens. One assumes they have been instructed in the correct use of a trigger!:lol:

Phrases like "Sweating like a Royal Marine on mastermind" and "Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential", exist for a reason. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.