• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stupid things

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNX

Back in 1976, when most of the Paddington-Swansea line sets were MK2D/E's, Ranelagh Bridge sent a Western off to work the 1800 to Swansea, which an air con set. The shunter coupled it to the train, then connected the brake pipes. He then took the ETH jumper from the BG and promptly proceeded to look for the socket on the loco! It was priceless watching him, and it took about a minute for the penny to drop. The Western was then sent back to Ranelagh Bridge and swapped for an ETH Duff.

You couldn't get the staff in those days.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My version was at Waverley. I saw the down Leeds-Aberdeen in the platform, darted off to get my ticket, and returned to find what I thought was the same train still there. Made a dash and just made it, only to set off the wrong way! Cue three-hour delay going to Newcastle and back.

I did that at Euston recently. Wanting to go to MKC i got on what i thought was the Manchester Piccadilly train whihc was first stop MKC. In the opposite platform was what i thought was the Liverpool train. Sitting back and relaxing reading the paper, it was only when i looked up and saw MKC fly by that i got worried! I was on the Liverpool train. First stop Crewe! Doh.

imagination

"Oh! Mr. Porter, what shall I do?
I wanted to go to Milton Keynes*, and they've taken me on to Crewe"

*I know the song says Birmingham but Milton Keynes didn't exist back then. Maybe if it had they would have sung that instead. After all, it fits.

Sorry, I felt compelled to do that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
"Oh! Mr. Porter, what shall I do?
I wanted to go to Milton Keynes*, and they've taken me on to Crewe"

*I know the song says Birmingham but Milton Keynes didn't exist back then. Maybe if it had they would have sung that instead. After all, it fits.

Sorry, I felt compelled to do that.

Very good! But which is nicer Crewe or Milton Keynes

Wyvern

Established Member
I used to catch the train regularly from Derby to Lincoln. They were all through trains (or so I thought). So we merrily pulled away from Nottingham and a few minutes I thought "What are all those tall lamp standards?" the a few minutes later "I dont remember going through a tunnel before." Then the penny dropped - a word with the guard told me I was on my way to Melton Mowbray. Oh well, I thought - I'll just buy myself a pork pie.

wensley

Established Member
This still makes me laugh....

Passenger to Guard on rather warm HST: Does this train have air conditioning
Guard to Passenger: Why of course sir
Passenger offers puzzled look
Guard: It's conditioning the air to hot!

My version was at Waverley. I saw the down Leeds-Aberdeen in the platform, darted off to get my ticket, and returned to find what I thought was the same train still there. Made a dash and just made it, only to set off the wrong way! Cue three-hour delay going to Newcastle and back.

That reminds me of some normals on the Leeds-Aberdeen one morning.

Guard came checking tickets in my coach between Leeds and York and he was talking to some gner office staff, telling them some men asked me what time do we get to London, I said at 10.30......tonight.

12CSVT

Established Member
Does anyone remember the scene at the station in "CLOCKWISE" where John Cleese as the headmaster wanting to go the the HMC had an interesting exchange of views with the staff at the barrier....with final disasterous consequences.

Hull Paragon Station for a Train to Norwich????

And the other train was allegedly going to Plymouth !!!!

Yew

Established Member
With stops every 2 minutes or so, that would be quite a long journey! Imagine the route map!

Maybe we could try that if the 24Hr pacer ride doesnt kick off?

EDIT; I didnt realise how long this thread was, jon was talking about american tourists thinking the northern lie wernt to scotland.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.