• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sun front page- iPads for Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmt4ever

Member has been asked to provide a text description for those who cannot see attached image
1706772848541.png
Why on earth would a Train Driver need an iPad for their Train Driving duties?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
There are number of other jobs where tablet is preferred to carrying multiple books with all the rules, fault finding, back up information etc.

Not to mention multiple supplements and late notices too. Which all adds to weight and space in work bag

But does seem silly to expect someone to be paid extra for carrying around less, to get same or more info.

FatContr0ller

An Ipad or electronic tablet to have e copies of all drivers publications is a lifesaver compared to lugging round all your books in your bag.
Also used for company training and communications.

Obviously not switched on while in charge of a train or in a unsecured cab!

GB

Established Member
What sort of payment are they looking for? If it’s to cover electricity for charging then fair enough (unless you also use it for personal gains), but as tablets are a quality of life improvement compared to lugging around multiple physical items this is not a battle I’d personally pick/support.

irish_rail

Established Member
It's called a technology payment. Like in many jobs, if you increase your skillset then you are rewarded for that. However this has all happened (at my TOC at least) many years ago, and we did get a small payment for agreeing to learn and maintain the new technology. This is nothing new, just sounds like a desperate paper, desperate to anger the increasingly dwindling right wing element of society.

rmt4ever

It's called a technology payment. Like in many jobs, if you increase your skillset then you are rewarded for that. However this has all happened (at my TOC at least) many years ago, and we did get a small payment for agreeing to learn and maintain the new technology. This is nothing new, just sounds like a desperate paper, desperate to anger the increasingly dwindling right wing element of society.
I did think it was ironic they advertise toilet rolls on the front page, considering how much s*** the Sun comes out with.

I suppose with technology as well there is increased tracking, which is why they may be resisting. I get that

Established Member
But does seem silly to expect someone to be paid extra for carrying around less, to get same or more info.

Technology payments are simply a long standing convention within the industry. In a previous industry I used to be paid a “car allowance” of a few thousand per year, despite not having a car!

Exactly - it’s a little like when the Daily Mail found out about agreed walking times.

Snow1964

Established Member
What sort of payment are they looking for? If it’s to cover electricity for charging then fair enough (unless you also use it for personal gains), but as tablets are a quality of life improvement compared to lugging around multiple physical items this is not a battle I’d personally pick/support.
You can already get the electricity used for business reimbursed (in same way as cost of business phone calls on personal phone), by entering it in box 18 on self assessment form. Another common one is if you have any work clothes with logo, and you wash them, in your washing machine claim tax allowance for laundry too.

Of course if people prefer to pay extra tax, and not claim, that is their choice.

rmt4ever

There are number of other jobs where tablet is preferred to carrying multiple books with all the rules, fault finding, back up information etc.

Not to mention multiple supplements and late notices too. Which all adds to weight and space in work bag

Surely a Train Driver would prefer them in paper form if the train broke down. The iPad can run out of battery or simply crash. A good old paper book cant

Chingy

As well as the fact they can't be switched on in the cab........

They can at my FOC. We are told to have them on at all times & to use an app called Co-pilot for any journey or part journey we drive. We have iPad holders & USB charging points in cab to assist.

Established Member
Surely a Train Driver would prefer them in paper form if the train broke down. The iPad can run out of battery or simply crash. A good old paper book cant
My last two companies simply used us PDF files to save onto the iPad. While not a full fault finding app, it does however mean you can search keywords and carry much more detailed information than you would be able to in printed format because of said search facility.

As well as the fact they can't be switched on in the cab........
They can be, it's all down to the company involved.

At my last TOC we used TAS. It was great to enter delay codes as the journey progresses and to keep track of departure time from stations (it counts down the seconds to departure).

Timetable Advisory System (TAS) provides train drivers with information on how the train they are driving is progressing relative to timetable. TAS is a form of ‘Driver Advisory System’ but at a lower order of complexity and with more emphasis placed on the expertise and knowledge of the train driver.

Attachments

• 458_002.png
    458_002.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 458_001.png
    458_001.png
    899.6 KB · Views: 240

Tomnick

Established Member
Tablets benefit drivers, undoubtedly, but nowhere near as much as they benefit employers – the savings from not having to get bespoke WONs printed each week for drivers, plus PONs four times a year, will be immense. It'd be a bit of a kick in the teeth to not share some of that benefit at the same time as effectively suffering a ~30% pay cut.

What I believe is actually happening, to some extent at least, is that employers are wanting to make genuinely fair and reasonable pay offers to drivers, but aren't being allowed to by the DfT without justification, i.e. savings that'll fund it. Tablets offer that saving, and in turn the justification that they need to present to the DfT. This isn't just ASLEF.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Simple advice: Dont read the Sun.

( this seems like a standard jealousy/divide story - don't be used to further the agenda of others)

The Puddock

Technology payments are simply a long standing convention within the industry.
Only for certain roles. Signallers, for example, have never had technology payments. When GSM-R was introduced my local TOC paid it's drivers a four figure sum each but Network Rail didn't give its signallers anything at all, they just installed the terminals and told them to get on with it.

jfowkes

Simple advice: Dont read the Sun.

( this seems like a standard jealousy/divide story - don't be used to further the agenda of others)
Agreed. Also note that the headline uses "iPad" but the text reads "iPad style". This is designed to instill anger in the reader.

I suspect that TOCs actually buy something cheap to replace and a bit more impact/liquid resistant. A fairly cheap Android tablet with an inch of rubber protecting it. Or am I wrong?

Turtle

Similar rubbish in the Mail this morning - as to be expected; usual greedy overpaid train drivers stuff.

Dstock7080

Established Member
LU has proposed the issue of iPads to train staff for the forthcoming Trains Modernisation package of changes.
Remote booking on/off, rule books and appendices, training modules etc.

Jimini

Established Member
Here's the full article in all its, erm, glory (available on their website as well). It's basically a typical rant about strikes etc.:

STRIKING train drivers are demanding even more pay for using iPad style tablets at work. The devices notify drivers of speed limits and safety checks on routes. But militant union chiefs from Aslef say it goes beyond the normal working practices of its members, who usually rely on noticeboards. Around 1,500 tablets are waiting in a warehouse. But they will not be sent out until the deal has been settled. Aslef has already infuriated passengers by refusing to budge on strike action despite an offer that would take train drivers’ average salary up to £65,000 for a four-day week. Transport Secretary Mark Harper slammed the union last night saying: “Aslef continue to stand in the way of vital reforms needed to safeguard the future of the railways.” Yesterday Northern and TransPennine Express drivers walked out in the long-running pay dispute. It came after Southeastern and Thameslink services were hit on Tuesday. An overtime ban is also in place. Aslef boss Mick Whelan has warned that drivers could strike for a further 18 months to secure the pay deal they want. He said: “The Government created a strike situation. “We haven’t had a pay rise for five years. We didn’t seek one for two years of the pandemic, when inflation started going through the roof. “In year three, like every other sector, we sought a pay rise. The Government has decided that we’re not worth it. “The 16 private companies that we work for are making hundreds of millions of pounds.” PM Rishi Sunak has accused firebrand bosses of a “campaign of contempt” during the nine days of walkouts. He is furious at train-operating companies for not imposing new minimum service laws that would provide 40 per cent of services. Mr Sunak also called on Aslef to stop its act of “self-harm”. Ministers and train companies have so far reached agreements with the RMT, TSSA and Unite with only Aslef holding out. The strikes have hit the hospitality industry for £350million this week. Kate Nicholls, of UKHospitality, said: “January and February are already two of the quieter months for venues and this disruption will make it even more painful.”

pompeyfan

Established Member
This is also in The Daily Mail, The Times and The Express, so a few papers have run with it today.

The “right” leaning papers? Shocker.

There is a benefit to both sides from tablets, but it may be a departure from current methods of work and so should be negotiated in the normal way.

Note from the posts above that many TOCs have already implemented tablets as part of broader pay deals and changes to T&Cs, I’d imagine there’s not many TOCs that don’t use tablets for a DAS style system and for document distribution, but sure tar all drivers with the same brush, much like with Sundays being inside….

irish_rail

Established Member
Here's the full article in all its, erm, glory (available on their website as well). It's basically a typical rant about strikes etc.:
Reading that I simply despair. How are papers allowed to present such one sided articles presented as fact. It's criminal.

nwales58

Never get on an aircraft anyone, especially Sun readers.

Electronic Flight Bag has become normal for the reasons mentioned earlier. Seems sensible for train drivers too as equipment and operations become more complex.

Ultimate benefit is to the passengers: right information in the right place at the right time for the person at the front getting you there.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Very few train drivers I know actually carry heavy items like the Rule Book and Sectional Appendix in their driver's bag. Similarly, it's fairly unlikely that they would carry fault finding books with them, instead relying on their own traction knowledge or getting in touch with the Duty Fleet Manager.

Samzino

Tablets could solve the lack of information problem that can often leave drivers in the unknown. A live feed of current delays on the line or similar to signal maps but cropped to the surrounding of where the actual train is, could be useful.

I'm sure TOCs that already implement it in the cab have policy on how to use them plus restrict them when in the docket to specific useful applications so to reduce misuse.

Also saved paper. Not having to print out every time a physical diagram if it can be digitally and also updated real time for any agreed changes without a reprint required.

Somewhere

If its a change to T&Cs, and its saving the employer money, then the union will want a slice of that to agree to it

ScotGG

Established Member
No idea but if it's in the Sun of course treat it as BS until a decent source reports it.

By the way, barely anyone buys the sun anymore. Sales down about 80 per cent in past 15-20 years. Still some seem to think its a big influence and what drivel they put out gets covered on BBC News etc.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
So it's not the issue of using iPads (tablets etc.) but more the issues about demanding extra pay for using them as an aid to carry out their duties. Extra pay, what a shocker !? No wonder the public are angry.

Wonder what Claudia thinks....

Status
Not open for further replies.