• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Not in my experience. There are no queues at central London supermarkets. I suspect that it's purely dependent on when you go and to what shops. Leading up to the easter weekend was very busy, but was able to pop into Waitrose this afternoon with no queue.

My Waitrose had a long queue, probably about 15 people deep

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've never had an issue with my Tesco Metro but on Friday it was frankly ridiculous. Nobody was taking any notice of the one-way system, so much so that I actually spoke to (2m apart of course) a member of staff to ask them to get a supervisor/manager to make an announcement because it was silly.

The worst for me is the old dears, who seem blissfully unaware of what is actually going on at the moment, despite having to queue to get into the store. One old dear in front of me, who scarily reminded me of Daisy from Keeping Up Appearances with her shopping trolley, entered one aisle the wrong way, and I politely informed her and pointed to the arrows to say she was going the wrong way. Her reply was 'oh'. On to the next aisle, she did exactly the same thing. I get some people suffer from a little confusion but this was sheer ignorance.

Staff regularly ignore the arrows too.

Waitrose and M&S are the worst with this, ignorant shoppers with their trolleys barging you out of the way.

Aldi and Lidl on the other hand, are pretty good, their customers on the whole are more considerate.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Waitrose and M&S are the worst with this, ignorant shoppers with their trolleys barging you out of the way.

Aldi and Lidl on the other hand, are pretty good, their customers on the whole are more considerate.

I think in Aldi and Lidl (noting what I said upthread about people letting you skip the queue if you only have a few items) people do by and large "get" that to sustain the low prices you have to play along with the system that allows them to be that low. So adding a bit extra to it temporarily is within their ability to handle things.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I personally always find it the other way round!

greyman42

Established Member
That's all very well and good if you have a car, a lot of people don't and therefore a "big shop" may not be as easy to do.
Then do a number of smaller shops. No one is counting how many times you visit the shops.

james60059

I must admit, since the social distancing and one way aisles were implemented, shopping has been more of a pleasurable experience, no people barging past, and scrums for an empty checkout. I mostly shop at Morrisons or Tesco.

sheff1

Established Member
Er, why? What, other than it being a bit expensive (M&S is pricier IME) is your reason for that?

The nearest Waitrose to us, which we did use from time to time, advertised that they were starting home delivery and had an introductory promotional offer. Someone from work recommended it. I logged on to set up on order but got a message saying they did not deliver to our address. I contacted them to ask why and was told we were "too far away from the store". I pointed out that we lived less than 3 miles from the store whereas my work colleague, to whom they had happily delivered, lived more than 5 miles from the store. They then started waffling on about the “wrong direction”. It was pretty obvious that they did not want to deliver to us because our area was only a ‘mid-ranking’ one whilst my colleague lived in one of the leafiest parts of town.

Certainly would not use them again – we have a choice of M&S, Sainsbury’s, Tescos, Morrisons, Asda, Aldi & Lidl which are at least as easy to reach.
Sainsbury's have recently introduced the ridiculous 'one adult per shop' system so we now concentrate on M&S and Morrisons.

Last edited:

Adsy125

Sainsbury's have recently introduced the ridiculous 'one adult per shop' system
In what way is it ridiculous? If a couple is in the shop then they are stopping one other person doing their shopping, slowing down the queues for everyone. Obviously there are exceptions, like shopping with small children, but how is it fair to make everyone else have to wait longer?

bramling

Veteran Member
In what way is it ridiculous? If a couple is in the shop then they are stopping one other person doing their shopping, slowing down the queues for everyone. Obviously there are exceptions, like shopping with small children, but how is it fair to make everyone else have to wait longer?

I’d expect a couple from the same household to get round far more quickly and efficiently than one person. And it would certainly save time at the checkouts.

This seems like something which hasn’t been properly thought through. Certainly we went to Tesco’s last weekend (at a non-busy time) and we had a relatively sedate and relaxing amble round the deserted homeware section, followed by a fairly military-efficiency operation in the rest of the store.

What should be banned is people taking the whole family, which still seems to be happening in places. I *hope* this isn’t happening simply as a means of finding something to occupy the kids, but is instead due to genuine childcare issues.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What should be banned is people taking the whole family, which still seems to be happening in places. I *hope* this isn’t happening simply as a means of finding something to occupy the kids, but is instead due to genuine childcare issues.
I think that’s highly likely. I don’t know if you’ve got younger children? But if this had happened to us a few years ago I could easily see a situation where we would’ve been forced into taking at least two kids (and possibly my other half) with me to go to the supermarket due to various different reasons.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’d expect a couple from the same household to get round far more quickly and efficiently than one person

Why? That would only be true if you're discussing what you're going to get. You need to do that (including possible alternatives) before you go. And it would make sense, assuming a disability doesn't preclude it, to have the person who normally makes those decisions be the one that shops. (In most families food shopping is the preserve of one or the other person, not so much both).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think that’s highly likely. I don’t know if you’ve got younger children? But if this had happened to us a few years ago I could easily see a situation where we would’ve been forced into taking at least two kids (and possibly my other half) with me to go to the supermarket due to various different reasons.

The forum loves niches and this is another one. The situation exists where they would have to but it is not common.

You could have the situation where one adult drives but is disabled, and the other one shops. But then you can take the kids to the supermarket but sit in the car with them.

Single parents often don't have a choice (particularly as they can't leave the kids with their parents at the moment) however there are in normal times a lot of full families of "mum, dad and 2.4 kids" in supermarkets treating it as a day out, and that is not really on at the moment if it really ever is.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I’d expect a couple from the same household to get round far more quickly and efficiently than one person. And it would certainly save time at the checkouts.
It would save some time at the checkouts, but I'd take three times as long in the aisles if I took my wife along with me!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sainsbury's have recently introduced the ridiculous 'one adult per shop' system

Why is it ridiculous?

We have a global pandemic at the moment.
Social distancing is part of the Governments guidance to mitigate this.
This means the number of people allowed to enter a supermarket at any one time needs to be limited (meaning people potentially have to queue before being allowed in)
If one adult per shop is allowed in then it means representatives from more 'households' can enter the store at the same time, reducing the queue length outside the store.

Am I missing something.....

sheff1

Established Member
In what way is it ridiculous? If a couple is in the shop then they are stopping one other person doing their shopping, slowing down the queues for everyone.

I have seem some strange assertions on here, but this takes some beating. How does shopping as a couple stop someone else from doing their shopping. The queue at the checkout is actually speeded up as one person continues putting the shopping into the trolley as the other pays, rather than having to either (i) take everything off the belt and then pay or (ii) pay and then finish packing the shopping.

sheff1

Established Member
If one adult per shop is allowed in then it means representatives from more 'households' can enter the store at the same time, reducing the queue length outside the store.

Am I missing something.....

It would appear so.

The queue outside 'one person' Sainsbury's always seems to be longer than the queue at 'two person' Morrisons. 2 out of 3 times there is actually no queue outside Morrisons anyway. I have never seen a queue outside 'two person' M&S.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It would appear so.

The queue outside 'one person' Sainsbury's always seems to be longer than the queue at 'two person' Morrisons. 2 out of 3 times there is actually no queue outside Morrisons anyway. I have never seen a queue outside 'two person' M&S.

Sainsbury's have more customers than Morrisons and M&S.

sheff1

Established Member
(In most families food shopping is the preserve of one or the other person, not so much both).

I have no idea what the situation is in "most families" - I don't even know how other people on our street do it. What I do know, is that we do the big shop together which, as others have said, speeds things up and allows everything to be bought in one visit rather than two.

Established Member
I have no idea what the situation is in "most families" - I don't even know how other people on our street do it. What I do know, is that we do the big shop together which, as others have said, speeds things up and allows everything to be bought in one visit rather than two.
It also allows you to get more items and therefore less trips to the shops overall if neither of you drive.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Well, good luck to them, but our Sainsbury's now has at least two fewer customers than before.
If they constantly have a queue to get in they probably welcome having two fewer customers, especially as said customers are unwilling to follow the perfectly reasonable rules.

westv

Established Member
As far as I'm aware all the supermarkets round here have had the one person rule for several weeks now.

AM9

Veteran Member
As far as I'm aware all the supermarkets round here have had the one person rule for several weeks now.
Same here. Waitrose ask those ignoring the request if they would mind one of them waiting outside and most, having been asked, sheepishly agree. It seems that here, a specific number of shoppers in the store at a time has been determined and a one out - one in system operated. If couples turn up, not only are they delaying their entrance until two have left, but they are also delaying everybody else behind them as well. It seems that couples who enter the store then act as if it was a normal shopping visit, standing across gangways or side by side alongside shelves cogitating over the details of their purchases. Self-awareness doesn't seem to be seem to be much in presence, either inside or outside stores.

Adsy125

I have seem some strange assertions on here, but this takes some beating. How does shopping as a couple stop someone else from doing their shopping. The queue at the checkout is actually speeded up as one person continues putting the shopping into the trolley as the other pays, rather than having to either (i) take everything off the belt and then pay or (ii) pay and then finish packing the shopping.
I don’t see how it’s a strange assertion at all, but I’ll try to explain it simply. A couple going in to a shop with a limited number of customers in it takes up 2 spaces, instead of one. When this happens every single customer afterwards needs to wait outside for longer than they would’ve otherwise. Meaning the queue is longer than necessary.

And from my experience couples are not faster to shop, and only fractionally faster at packing at the checkouts than individuals. And anyway, checkouts is not the main bottleneck for the rate people go through, it’s how long they take to shop.

Adsy125

It also allows you to get more items and therefore less trips to the shops overall if neither of you drive.
You can wait outside, and bring everything to the front in a trolley if you need two people to carry it home.

Meerkat

Established Member
Two people together is a disaster for social distancing as they block the aisle (especially as couples rarely pay attention to anything else going on around them......)
Nothing stopping one person waiting outside to carry the stuff home.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
At the moment supermarkets would prefer it if you use the self checkouts or preferably scan and go where you can pack your bags as you shop so no need to pack at the checkouts!

sheff1

Established Member
At the moment supermarkets would prefer it if you use the self checkouts or preferably scan and go where you can pack your bags as you shop so no need to pack at the checkouts!

Things are obviously different where you are then. Here customers are encouraged to join the staffed checkout queue with signage and staff directing people towards it. Direct access to the self checkouts is blocked off from all but one shopping aisle and two thirds of the self checkouts have been taken out of service to faciltate social distancing. As for scan and go, I have no idea what that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.