• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doomotron

stick some shoegear on them and SWR can have them with a refurb for use on the Pompey direct.
It's a bit more complicated than 'just stick shoes on them'. They'd need to source electrical parts for trains no longer in production, install them, give the trains a heavy refurbishment, deal with the ROSCOs and at that point they might as well just stick with the 458s, which assuming the refurbishment is good will do as good a job as the 350/2s.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It's a bit more complicated than 'just stick shoes on them'. They'd need to source electrical parts for trains no longer in production, install them, give the trains a heavy refurbishment, deal with the ROSCOs and at that point they might as well just stick with the 458s, which assuming the refurbishment is good will do as good a job as the 350/2s.
Neither paths are entirely straightforward but my original point is they don't need the 458s to cover the service they are proposing from Dec 22 so just stick them in warm store.

pompeyfan

Established Member
350’s still?

there still isn’t the space at Northam for more units.
it’s a different ROSCO to the other 444/450 units.

neither of which is insurmountable, as I believe (happy to be corrected) 350/1’s, 3’s and 4’s have a different ROSCO from the 350/2s. Bournemouth would be responsible for any maintenance on the 450/2s.

I agree it wouldn’t be without its challenges to convert them but you’d have a uniform fleet that would have an extended shelf life. That said, lately the Desiro stock is struggling for reliability

Snow1964

Established Member

More a case of how much is price of works to get them in suitable configuration and condition, and monthly rental cost.

The Rosco does’t normally maintain them, so more a case of how much they want to charge to rent them out. That part of a decision is more akin to a householder choosing a mortgage provider.

To some extent if both 458 and 350/2 are off lease, which Rosco wants to get a rental income, rather than no income determines the rate they will be prepared to accept.

On Moderation
To some extent if both 458 and 350/2 are off lease, which Rosco wants to get a rental income, rather than no income determines the rate they will be prepared to accept.
The 458s and 350/2s are owned by the same ROSCO (Porterbrook).

Domh245

Established Member
Of note is that the 458 and 350/2s are both porterbrook owned, so they would seem to prefer this 458 solution. The 350s presumably have more value not being turned into 450s, whether that's as "flex" battery units or as straight 25kv units

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

If you wanted to do it with 350s some sort of multi way swap allowing the /1s to go there would make more sense, as these already have third rail kit and just need the stored shoes putting back on.

fgwrich

Established Member
Of note is that the 458 and 350/2s are both porterbrook owned, so they would seem to prefer this 458 solution. The 350s presumably have more value not being turned into 450s, whether that's as "flex" battery units or as straight 25kv units
To be honest though, given how every other conversion or refurbishment seems to have gone of late, I still feel that converting and refurbishing the 350/2s would have been a quicker move (and good for SWRs / Siemens spares inventory!). With both fleets owned by Porterbrook, it’s only time and money, but the 458s would without a shadow of a doubt have gone in the bin otherwise whereas the 350/2s wouldn’t. Heck, they could have even trialled the Flexx side of the units for routes such as Fawley or for something longer, the Salisbury 6.

Roast Veg

Established Member
With remembering that the 458s hardly have another home to go to. I don't know how many (if any?) vehicles from former 460s will be in the refurb, but they are unsuitable to 25kV conversion. Better to have work lined up for all of the rolling stock portfolio.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
With remembering that the 458s hardly have another home to go to. I don't know how many (if any?) vehicles from former 460s will be in the refurb, but they are unsuitable to 25kV conversion. Better to have work lined up for all of the rolling stock portfolio.
Highly unlikely any ex 460 vehicles are needed. They’re the obvious ones to remove as the 28 are to be reduced to four car, leaving the original units in their as built formations. (It also removes a major matter of concern for window glass fans.)

neither of which is insurmountable, as I believe (happy to be corrected) 350/1’s, 3’s and 4’s have a different ROSCO from the 350/2s. Bournemouth would be responsible for any maintenance on the 450/2s.

I agree it wouldn’t be without its challenges to convert them but you’d have a uniform fleet that would have an extended shelf life. That said, lately the Desiro stock is struggling for reliability
Don’t think Siemens would be very happy with a fleet being maintained outside. Especially if they do well, putting their contract at risk. Plus we won’t see 350/2s until 730s are in. And I wouldn’t imagine that would be until after all 701s are running. Not sure when that would be.

Bournemouth have been up to Wimbledon learning 458s and supporting, there are workshops and meetings underway already for the new TSSSA agreement.
Wish people would stop finding square pegs to bash into round holes.

Benno

Wish people would stop finding square pegs to bash into round holes.

Exactly. Why would you go through the cost and inconvenience of fitting 3rd rail equipment to a fleet of units when you can offer a fleet of units that already use 3rd rail. With the exception of removing a carriage and changing the gearboxes to 100mph running, the rest of the work is internal cosmetic refresh.

pompeyfan

Established Member
It’s really not a square peg / round hole situation, I could understand if I was suggesting something radical but I’m not.

The 350s were DV out the box, yes work would be required to make them 3rd rail, in the same way putting a panto onto a 450/444 would do. The 458s are available earlier and (cynically) porterbrook potentially get two lots of revenue stream out of the two fleets.

Still, I’m glad to hear Bournemouth depot staff are starting to receive familiarisation and that the unions are involved. Everything crossed the units come out after refurbishment ticking all the boxes people want them too.

It’s really not a square peg / round hole situation, I could understand if I was suggesting something radical but I’m not.

The 350s were DV out the box, yes work would be required to make them 3rd rail, in the same way putting a panto onto a 450/444 would do. The 458s are available earlier and (cynically) porterbrook potentially get two lots of revenue stream out of the two fleets.

Still, I’m glad to hear Bournemouth depot staff are starting to receive familiarisation and that the unions are involved. Everything crossed the units come out after refurbishment ticking all the boxes people want them too.
Only the 350/1s are pure dual voltage out of the box I thought. And TSSSA wasn’t referencing the union of the same acronym but a Technical Support & Spares Supply Agreements for Rolling Stock between SWR, Porterbrook and Alstom.

On Moderation
Surprised, why not keep original 30?
Cost, I guess, and the reduced demand post pandemic.

If you look at the 442 replacement need, it’s 18 442s out, which requires 3 x 458 to replace each pair (27 458s) Given they’ll probably diagram 8 formations, then 24 from 27 is a bit tight, so 28 sets makes sense.

507 001

Established Member

The 350/2s weren’t dual voltage out of the box, only the 350/1s were.

Benno

Surprised, why not keep original 30?

Because 28 are needed for the service they are planned to run on (including units down for maintenance). The remaining units will be kept in warm storage for three years in case SWR decide they need more units. Despite people saying they are not required SWR know their service levels better than anyone and require a fleet of units for the Portsmouth service.

As for the Rosco desperate to lease them out, well if you were looking for a fleet of 3rd rail units to operate a service, other than new build, where are you going to find them?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Because 28 are needed for the service they are planned to run on (including units down for maintenance). The remaining units will be kept in warm storage for three years in case SWR decide they need more units. Despite people saying they are not required SWR know their service levels better than anyone and require a fleet of units for the Portsmouth service.

As for the Rosco desperate to lease them out, well if you were looking for a fleet of 3rd rail units to operate a service, other than new build, where are you going to find them?
Fair enough, I guess. Thanks.

On Moderation
When does the lease on the 450s expire? I wonder if there is a thought in SWR that with the 458s on rock-bottom lease costs they could (threaten to) activate the option on the other 8 sets and trim the 450 fleet if Angel won’t play ball?

Bigfoot

When does the lease on the 450s expire? I wonder if there is a thought in SWR that with the 458s on rock-bottom lease costs they could (threaten to) activate the option on the other 8 sets and trim the 450 fleet if Angel won’t play ball?
8 won't make much of a dent in the 127 450s.

southern442

Established Member
Neither paths are entirely straightforward but my original point is they don't need the 458s to cover the service they are proposing from Dec 22 so just stick them in warm store.
If the objective is to get rid of as many 450s on the Portsmouth Direct as possible, I'm not sure it would be entirely fair to say that none of them would be needed, unless the December 22 services can all be covered with 444s? (Seems unlikely)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
8 won't make much of a dent in the 127 450s.
However, we’re talking at a time when four will have been freed from the Reading line where they work now, plus those that the 458s displace from the Portsmouth Direct Line won’t really have anywhere to go… if demand doesn’t hugely increase I reckon you could get at least 15-20 450s off leased with all 36x 458s in service if not more, especially with a tighter TT.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Cost, I guess, and the reduced demand post pandemic.

If you look at the 442 replacement need, it’s 18 442s out, which requires 3 x 458 to replace each pair (27 458s) Given they’ll probably diagram 8 formations, then 24 from 27 is a bit tight, so 28 sets makes sense.
Ah, thanks, so they aren't just going to be used down the Pompey road then?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ah, thanks, so they aren't just going to be used down the Pompey road then?
The 442 plan based on the full 2019 timetable proposals was Portsmouth fasts and IIRC a positioning move on the mainline to or from Bournemouth or Poole at start and end of service. But 8 pairs from 9 in service would only cover the 2 tph fasts plus turnaround time, so the Portsmouth stoppers would have had to remain 450 operated.

“Removing as many 450s as possible“ from the route was never really expected.

southern442

Established Member
“Removing as many 450s as possible“ from the route was never really expected.
Although now that the proposals are not due to happen, it seems like this could be perhaps a more realistic goal? The only new service IIRC is the London to Southampton stopper (a half-replacement for the London-Poole semi-fast) which I would hedge my bets on as being 450 operated, although I think people may be a bit more understanding about that one. If 450s are kept on all the local services in the South then you'd probably be able to get a good chunk of 450s off of the Portsmouth line by using 458s.