• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Goldfish62 put it well, the DfT isn't a railway organisation and they have been tasked with running something they know too little about. But this has been discussed many times on many threads!

However they also aren’t going to let go in the control of running the railway and they are also the link to the treasury who provide the funding!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
However they also aren’t going to let go in the control of running the railway and they are also the link to the treasury who provide the funding!
That can change on both counts if the current or a future government decides!
Whatever the impression that may be given civil servants do actually have to do what government instructs. The alternative is a short career.

I wonder if these 20-year old outdated notices will finally be removed during the refurb or whether they're destined to eventually go to the scrapyard with the units.

Attachments

• 20231107_150936.jpg
    20231107_150936.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Yesterdays 5Q73 transfer of 458524 from Bournemouth to Widnes was cancelled, but it appears to have departed tonight although only as far as Christchurch where it is now causing some disruption;

Due to a fault on a train at Christchurch the line towards Brockenhurst is blocked.
What's Going On:
Train services running through this station may be delayed. Disruption is expected until 22:00 09/11.
What We're Doing About It:
We have been informed that a train has developed a fault at Christchurch. This means that the line towards Brockenhurst is blocked.

Yesterdays 5Q73 transfer of 458524 from Bournemouth to Widnes was cancelled, but it appears to have departed tonight although only as far as Christchurch where it is now causing some disruption;

Due to a fault on a train at Christchurch the line towards Brockenhurst is blocked.
What's Going On:
Train services running through this station may be delayed. Disruption is expected until 22:00 09/11.
What We're Doing About It:
We have been informed that a train has developed a fault at Christchurch. This means that the line towards Brockenhurst is blocked.

Eventually the brake fault on the train was cleared but the train limped back to Bournemouth from Christchurch bang road and then
continued onto Bournemouth Depot at reduced speed.
An investigation into what caused the problem has now started as it caused lots of delays to London bound services.

1W30 1803 Weymouth to Waterloo was 91 mins late from Bournemouth as a result of above.

paul1609

Established Member
The DfT isn't a dedicated organisation. It's run by civil servants, not industry professionals. It's the cause of the majority of ills with the network.
The problem is that everytime its delegated to industry "professionals" the finances run way out of control to the extent that if the true costs at inception had been known no reasonable person would have suggested that it proceed. The real problem is that the rail industry itself and many of its "professionals" are no longer fit for purpose. It desperately needs modernising and that means the end of some steam age working practises.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Eventually the brake fault on the train was cleared but the train limped back to Bournemouth from Christchurch bang road and then
continued onto Bournemouth Depot at reduced speed.
An investigation into what caused the problem has now started as it caused lots of delays to London bound services.

1W30 1803 Weymouth to Waterloo was 91 mins late from Bournemouth as a result of above.

It then caused knock on delays to Portsmouth services leaving Waterloo. It’s unusual for SWR control to allow trains to run that late.

Last edited:
8405/7 are at Wimbledon for berthing to give Bournemouth a bit of space. 8405 is the end nearest the District Line and 8407 the Durnsford Bridge end of the Top Yard.

Attachments

• IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 285

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Why haven't they painted the top half of the gangway black like they have the Desiros? I hate discontinuity in liveries that are supposed to be the same for all stock.

D365

Veteran Member
Why haven't they painted the top half of the gangway black like they have the Desiros? I hate discontinuity in liveries that are supposed to be the same for all stock.
I don't understand what you mean.

dorsetdesiro

I did wonder about the full yellow gangways instead of half like the 450s then concluded this might be possibly for identification purposes as the 450 and 458 look very similiar when looking from the front/rear. The full yellow is to set the 458 apart from the 450.

Likely no issue between 444 & 450 as from same family also more mechanically alike/identical inside.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I did wonder about the full yellow gangways instead of half like the 450s then concluded this might be possibly for identification purposes as the 450 and 458 look very similiar when looking from the front/rear. The full yellow is to set the 458 apart from the 450.

Likely no issue between 444 & 450 as from same family also more mechanically alike/identical inside.
Good point!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I'd be very concerned if the people working 450s and 458s couldn't tell them apart.

GWVillager

I'd be very concerned if the people working 450s and 458s couldn't tell them apart.
It’s more an instant, from a distance sort of thing. Like seeing it approach a station from half a mile away, and being able to immediately tell that it’s the 458 service, rather than wait for it to get closer and pick out smaller details.

On Moderation
It’s more an instant, from a distance sort of thing. Like seeing it approach a station from half a mile away, and being able to immediately tell that it’s the 458 service, rather than wait for it to get closer and pick out smaller details.
You can tell from the headlights - the 458s have brighter, more 'white' headlights, and the destination screen location is a giveaway, too.

Bigfoot

Probably and possibly because the amount of yellow area on the rest of the cab of a 458 doesn't meet the requirements of the safety standards for visability

Goldfish62

Established Member
I suppose a bit like the triangle on the end of many slam door Southern EMU's indicating where the guard/luggage van was.

GWVillager

I suppose a bit like the triangle on the end of many slam door Southern EMU's indicating where the guard/luggage van was.
Yes, or the yellow coupling bar to indicate the first class end of Voyagers. It’s common railway practice, even if it wasn’t intentional it’s a useful side effect.

Monty

Established Member
When are we going to get the chance to drive them?
Soon.. :lol:

But they will come eventually, the real question is where. Lots of talk that they may go back on the Windsor lines until the 701s are finally ready. Still holding out they will go on the PDL at somepoint.

Was on one earlier this week and managed to get 101 out of a 4 car unit which wasn't bad, quite smooth too.

It looks like a second attempt to transfer 458524 to Widnes is planned for Monday

5Q58 1711 Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D to Widnes Transport Tech

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Soon.. :lol:

But they will come eventually, the real question is where. Lots of talk that they may go back on the Windsor lines until the 701s are finally ready. Still holding out they will go on the PDL at somepoint.

Was on one earlier this week and managed to get 101 out of a 4 car unit which wasn't bad, quite smooth too.
Thanks for the info.
Is the blasted computer any faster than a Commodore 64?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
The problem is that everytime its delegated to industry "professionals" the finances run way out of control to the extent that if the true costs at inception had been known no reasonable person would have suggested that it proceed. The real problem is that the rail industry itself and many of its "professionals" are no longer fit for purpose. It desperately needs modernising and that means the end of some steam age working practises.
I joined BR in 1978 - a decade after the last steam hauled BR train ran, and have now done over 45 years of service on the railway. I would really appreciate you explaining which particular steam age practices you believe should end.

D7666

I joined BR in 1978 - a decade after the last steam hauled BR train ran, and have now done over 45 years of service on the railway. I would really appreciate you explaining which particular steam age practices you believe should end.
Seconded.