• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Metro fleet permanent withdrawals

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
SWR is waiting for manufacturer Alstom to supply a train that performs to specification and will deliver consistently better journeys for customers and colleagues. When they do, SWR will begin its extensive programme of testing, training and business mobilisation.
For a company press release that is a pretty scathing lambasting of their supplier!

Will this leave Southeastern short, or actually conveniently trim their costs and reduce capacity to nearer demand?

Bigfoot

For a company press release that is a pretty scathing lambasting of their supplier!
SWR didn't hold back in their BBC news press release either.

I think first/mtr are fed up. The majority of the employees were swt before and are very happy working in partnership with Siemens on a huge part of the fleet which is pretty reliable. There are many who just wish there had been a 707 follow on order.

There are reasons why that they didn't meet the requirements which I and most already understand and do not need to be brought up again.

Will this leave Southeastern short, or actually conveniently trim their costs and reduce capacity to nearer demand?
Indeed, and the way it's worded suggests to me that they're perhaps considering other options as well...

Meerkat

Established Member
Will look a bit silly if a working train does get delivered and they haven’t made the drivers drive them yet…..

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Will look a bit silly if a working train does get delivered and they haven’t made the drivers drive them yet…..

How can the drivers learn to drive them if they don’t work? ASLEF will not usually accept learning a train until it has been accepted by the company their drivers work for, to date no 701s have been accepted by SWR.

Meerkat

Established Member
How can the drivers learn to drive them if they don’t work? ASLEF will not usually accept learning a train until it has been accepted by the company their drivers work for, to date no 701s have been accepted by SWR.
ASLEF haven’t agreed they will drive them yet have they?

Benno

I hate to be that forumer, but where are you getting such information? Internally at SWR or elsewhere?
There are no 456s diagrammed to work from Monday that is SWR’s decision. They will go to Long Marston for storage approx 8 units per month from Jan to March.
What could be interesting though is that they aren’t withdrawn, just not being utilised. There may be a slim possibility that if availability of the metro fleet gets too bad, a couple of 456s could return to service for a short time. Although it is unlikely.

Meerkat

Established Member
There are no 456s diagrammed to work from Monday that is SWR’s decision. They will go to Long Marston for storage approx 8 units per month from Jan to March.
What could be interesting though is that they aren’t withdrawn, just not being utilised. There may be a slim possibility that if availability of the metro fleet gets too bad, a couple of 456s could return to service for a short time. Although it is unlikely.
If they are withdrawn from Monday why take so long to get them out of the way to Long Marston?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
“12 out of 30 of SWR’s 707 fleet was due to move to the Southeastern network but, following an agreement signed between the two train companies, SWR’s lease on the units has been extended until August 2022.”

No, 12 out of 12 were due to move. The other 18 have already gone to Southeastern which is rather crucial - I notice it doesn’t address this until the end.

On Moderation

There is also an admission in there that SWR themselves have screwed up the plan as they've basically not maintained trains that were to be replaced by the 701s. Essentially they've been too optimistic on 701 in-service, which given the serial issues with Aventras elsewhere is a failure on their part.

gazr

If they are withdrawn from Monday why take so long to get them out of the way to Long Marston?
Benno specifically said, "What could be interesting though is that they aren’t withdrawn". Looks like SWR are playing it safe, with 701s STILL a long way from entering service. There's a least a couple of short sidings at Wimbledon Park that can take a few units and not take up and space.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Benno specifically said, "What could be interesting though is that they aren’t withdrawn". Looks like SWR are playing it safe, with 701s STILL a long way from entering service. There's a least a couple of short sidings at Wimbledon Park that can take a few units and not take up and space.
Wise decision. If the Plan B Work from Home advice gets withdrawn soon as appears is a possibility then extra capacity may be needed quickly.

Snow1964

Established Member

So who is driving the test trains, I thought it was GBR drivers
Either GBR have accepted the units or doesn’t really make sense

Of course if GBR drivers are happy, then why not simply reallocate the services from the Government subsidised SWR to a company that has authorisation. With the Government as ultimate paymaster, it’s rather academic what legal name organisation runs the trains

pompeyfan

Established Member
Just because GBRF drivers are happy to driver 701s for a few months / years, and Colas drivers 769s, does not mean that DCC for the TOC will be happy to accept something substandard for up to the next 40 years.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Here is a tweet from SWR in response to someone else asking about them. Apologies, I struggle with the new(ish) way of quoting on the forum so here is an image (with description for visually impaired members)

Image shows a Twitter conversation in which the verified SWR_Help account confirms withdrawal of 456s from Monday and quotes from the Train Service Manager that 456s were due off lease in February anyway and this has been brought forward.

I notice they say “off-lease” which contradicts what some reputable members in the know have said here about them being stopped but not withdrawn/off-leased. Having seen an earlier tweet in which SWR erroneously told a customer the North Downs Day Ranger is only valid on GWR - this is false - I would not be inclined to take everything that the Twitter team say too seriously.

Fleet list: I will begin working on an updated fleet status list and will post it on Monday to coincide with the 456’s withdrawal from service. :)

Attachments

• E9469BDE-C4F5-45BF-9FF6-7A2DD2C33C42.jpeg
    E9469BDE-C4F5-45BF-9FF6-7A2DD2C33C42.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 184

Domh245

Established Member
Of course if GBR drivers are happy, then why not simply reallocate the services from the Government subsidised SWR to a company that has authorisation. With the Government as ultimate paymaster, it’s rather academic what legal name organisation runs the trains

You've confused GB Railfreight (GBRf) and Great British Railways (GBR - still yet to actually exist beyond a transition team & a wish). The GBRf drivers operating the test train don't have government as the ultimate paymaster in the same way that TOC drivers do

Benno

Here is a tweet from SWR in response to someone else asking about them. Apologies, I struggle with the new(ish) way of quoting on the forum so here is an image (with description for visually impaired members)

Image shows a Twitter conversation in which the verified SWR_Help account confirms withdrawal of 456s from Monday and quotes from the Train Service Manager that 456s were due off lease in February anyway and this has been brought forward.

I notice they say “off-lease” which contradicts what some reputable members in the know have said here about them being stopped but not withdrawn/off-leased. Having seen an earlier tweet in which SWR erroneously told a customer the North Downs Day Ranger is only valid on GWR - this is false - I would not be inclined to take everything that the Twitter team say too seriously.

Fleet list: I will begin working on an updated fleet status list and will post it on Monday to coincide with the 456’s withdrawal from service. :)
I doubt that the SWR Twitter team are aware of the full contractual details of the 456 fleet, but will have been made aware that the 456s will be out of service from Monday, and so their official line will be that they are withdrawn.

I seriously doubt you will see a 456 in service after the weekend, it would take a massive collapse of the 455 fleet for it to happen, but until SWR hand back the 456s to the Rosco and they leave the depot, there is a very very slim chance it could happen.

For your fleet list 456001, 456005 and 456017 are missing parts and are likely to be the first to leave the depot, possibly by road.

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

The end lease date for 456 hasn’t changed, just they have no booked work from the timetable starting on Monday.

However the fleet department may choose to use up remaining miles on 456s to run a pair vice a 455 saving miles on the latter.

I seriously doubt you will see a 456 in service after the weekend, it would take a massive collapse of the 455 fleet for it to happen, but until SWR hand back the 456s to the Rosco and they leave the depot, there is a very very slim chance it could happen.

Using up miles in the 456s to save adding miles to mileage restricted 455s is very likely (and makes total sense) but will be done on a day to day basis by fleet until the 456s are off-leased in early February.

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Given the extensive Raynes Park engineering works this weekend. I would be surprised if any 456s are out on Saturday or Sunday.

Bessie

Given the extensive Raynes Park engineering works this weekend. I would be surprised if any 456s are out on Saturday or Sunday.
I agree. Let’s make Friday 14 January farewell 456 day and get it trending. I’m not working so a trip to Clapham Junction/Wimbledon area is on the cards

GW43125

Established Member
Looks like a trip up to London is due tomorrow afternoon. Supposing tomorrow is the last day, do we have any idea what the last booked 456 service might be?

I say booked because we all remember the Edinburgh 91s...

It looks like only three pairs are out today and two of them end at Wimbledon tonight, so there may not be very many sets out tomorrow?

456009+456011+455871 1D42 1432 Dorking - London Waterloo
set ends Wimbledon after 2J75 2336 London Waterloo - Hampton Court tonight

456022+456012+455864 2J42 1424 Hampton Court - London Waterloo
set ends Wimbledon after 1D73 2310 London Waterloo - Dorking tonight

456013+456021+455725 2O41 1501 London Waterloo - London Waterloo
set ends Clapham Yard after 2K69 2227 London Waterloo - London Waterloo tonight

Towers

Established Member
If we're doing pics then.... :D

A couple of mine from last week, 009 & 019 at Waterloo.

Thanks to all those providing the recent gen here, I imagine it's ensured a fair few farewell rides that otherwise might not have happened!

Attachments

• 1642093213557.jpg
    1642093213557.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 1642093243586.jpg
    1642093243586.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 76

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Still a large proportion of Readings are 450, and 450 are also still minority on Windsor - often having two of five diagrams. What happened to the theories that 450s would increase usage hugely on both routes?

boiledbeans2

Note that there were 456's out last weekend despite engineering works in the Weybridge area.

I saw this set on Sunday.

On a Sunday, I'm sure they have surplus 455s, so didn't need to use 456s.

swr444

Still a large proportion of Readings are 450, and 450 are also still minority on Windsor - often having two of five diagrams. What happened to the theories that 450s would increase usage hugely on both routes?
Just wait until next week, virtually all Windsors will be 450 and a few 707s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Worth adding that no Windsors are 707 at the moment.

It appears to have been 2 8-450, 2 8-455 and 1 10-458 for a long time, and the twelve 707s (five pairs out per day) have done four all day Shepperton diagrams, and one morning peak Shepperton diagram that then turns into a Weybridge diagram