• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR new services

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
A Dft requirement I believe

More than likely someone high up in SWR or DfT lives there.

I’m led to believe the 1800 off Waterloo used to be first stop Haslemere for exactly the same reason, although it could well be Railway rumour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

I’m led to believe the 1800 off Waterloo used to be first stop Haslemere for exactly the same reason, although it could well be Railway rumour.

The then 17.52 Pompey had a variety of calling patterns over the years, originally it was a standard Woking, Guildford, Godalming, Haslemere, Petersfield etc, then Woking came out. When the 442s came on the Pompey Line in the very early 90s it became first stop Godalming and a new 17.54 Waterloo to Guildford, first stop West Byfleet was introduced. In later years the 17.52 became first stop Haslemere, with the 17.54 Guildford extended on to cover off Godalming.

In the 2004 rewrite the core commercial specification for the timetable was an all day (including peaks) 15 minute frequency London to Guildford, hence the now 18.00 becoming a standard pattern service. Indeed the heaviest loaded Pompey evening peak fast train is now the 17.30 (whereas when it was 17.20 and 17.52, the 17.20 was the quieter of the two).

Additional stops in standard pattern services are usually a commercial decision as opposed to someone living there.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There are 3 fast Portsmouth to Waterloo services introduced in each direction on Sunday afternoons/evenings:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W30389/2019/05/19/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W30390/2019/05/19/advanced

Calling Waterloo, Clapham Junction, Guildford, Havant, Fratton and Portsmouth & Southsea. Waterloo to Portsmouth taking around 90 minutes.

Interesting calling pattern and odd choice to run via Cobham, mixture of a headline train and route retention. Can’t help but think via woking would cut off a couple more minutes.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Interesting calling pattern and odd choice to run via Cobham, mixture of a headline train and route retention. Can’t help but think via woking would cut off a couple more minutes.

The industry had very rigid guidelines to work to for the May 19 change following the May 18 events and Dec 18 embargo. As per the Industry Review to timetable change, part of this was deliverability; in the national planning workload sense and keeping change(s) simple; routing the additional trains via Cobham required much less consequential change than routing via Woking.

Muzer

Established Member
Running via Cobham avoids the flat junction at Woking. I would not be at all surprised if this is why. Remember way back when the Portsmouth line was first electrified, it was the Cobham line, not the line via Woking, which got the third rail, and was therefore seen as the main line to Portsmouth for a while! (This is why the Southern Railway never got around to grade separating Woking Jn).

TEW

Established Member
There's little time difference between a fast run via Cobham and a fast run via Woking, and on a Sunday a fast path via Cobham is probably much easier to fit in.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
!!! I'm absolutely thrilled with that last change as I commute from Basingstoke around that time.

However, I AM curious about its likely formation. It's currently a single 444. Do we know what's likely to happen to it?

Besides that I'm curious as to where the released 159s will go. I've noticed that the WoEs drop off in length sooner in the morning shoulder peak and earlier in the evening too than most other services. Do the logistics work for strengthening, say, the 0829 from BSK (currently 6 coaches) and the 1850 from Waterloo (which IIRC is also 6 coaches)?

The morning train will be planned 10-444 running just in front of the 6-159
Honiton as a relief.

In the evening the new 18.48 Waterloo to Poole acts as a relief to the 18.50 West of England.

Muzer

Established Member
Honiton as a relief.

In the evening the new 18.48 Waterloo to Poole acts as a relief to the 18.50 West of England.
Thanks a lot, very helpful! Do you know what's happening with the released 159s off the Hampshire peak extras? I imagine it would make sense with the fleet ageing and starting to drop in reliability to keep them as maintenance spares. Or is there something else planned for them?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Thanks a lot, very helpful! Do you know what's happening with the released 159s off the Hampshire peak extras? I imagine it would make sense with the fleet ageing and starting to drop in reliability to keep them as maintenance spares. Or is there something else planned for them?

The 159s have pretty much already come off the Hampshire peak extras in Dec (although still do some of the late evening/early morning Pompeys)

In the morning the 07.25 up from Exeter is now a double set throughout instead of attaching at Salisbury.

In the evening both the 16.50 and 19.20 from Waterloo were lengthened.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Honiton as a relief.

Hopefully that 18:48 Poole won't be 450s as some folk will decide to travel on the diesels for a better trip (2+2 instead of 3+2 seating)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hopefully that 18:48 Poole won't be 450s as some folk will decide to travel on the diesels for a better trip (2+2 instead of 3+2 seating)
A couple of the down WofE trains in the evening, 1850 and 1950,will be made pick up only at Woking, which should theoretically move people onto the additional 1848 and 1948 to Poole.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Is this a confirmed passenger service? I see in the RTT link that while it shows as a class 1 it also says doo....

Will it run year round?

Certainly could be useful in summer and it's a reasonable timing for weekenders going back.

It is a passenger service, it’s at this time of the timetable process data issues such as that (which would be DOO if it was ECS) are resolved.

The train is specifically aimed for weekenders returning home.

GW43125

Established Member
A 17:05 Reading will be very well received, since the 16:50/17:20 departures are usually full & standing by Clapham. (Although it probably doesn't help that these services are worked by 450's)

A 20:05 would be well received too, as the 19:35 is only 5car so the 19:50 can be quite well loaded!
And as I've already mentioned, one between the 08:42 and 09:12 off Reading to soak up pax from the first offpeak train which, as an 8car, gets rather cosy!

theironroad

Established Member
It is a passenger service, it’s at this time of the timetable process data issues such as that (which would be DOO if it was ECS) are resolved.

The train is specifically aimed for weekenders returning home.

Thanks. Looks quite tightly pathed behind 1B68 between Southampton central and the airport/Eastleigh.

GW43125

Established Member

I hope that 19:48 isn't a 442... All stops bar Redbridge from Basingstoke. If the Brighton line is anything to go by, keep the 442s well away from stopping work!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
That's a relief (if you'll pardon the pun). Glad to see reliefs getting used again.

However, I've noticed the 19:48 skips Woking so I can't see it helping much in that respect.
Should take a considerable number of Basingstoke passengers off the 3 car 19:50 Salisbury.

GW43125

Established Member
Should take a considerable number of Basingstoke passengers off the 3 car 19:50 Salisbury.
Hadn't considered that, fair enough.
If anyone's that desperate to get to Woking, there's the 1945 Pompey or the 1953 Alton.

irfquake123

You're entirely correct, I've re-read the email and there's only one through Windsor each way, the other two I was thinking of run empty to Hounslow then in service to Waterloo.
1R92: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W30439/2019/06/20/advanced
1R94: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W30440/2019/06/20/advanced

the two Windsors are:
1U90 up: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W30445/2019/06/20/advanced
1U91 down: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W30446/2019/06/20/advanced

Interesting - the 1u90 that you have posted seems to be calling at only Feltham and Staines before ending at Windsor. I'm sure it will be welcomed by some, but I am disappointed as its not stopping in Ashford, which is usually served by all Windsor trains...

pompeyfan

Established Member
I suppose it could have been given a 1Bxx headcode, but then it was decided a good while ago they were going to be K's as NR weren't happy to allow down trains to continue using E's, as with the Netley road stoppers.

Sorry to go back two pages but after rereading the thread I’ve just noticed the above. Is there any reason why NR didn’t want them running as E’s? Considering there’s 2 lots of 2R’s and 2S’s it seems odd to start pulling rank. Is there any news on when the new hourly semi fast Netley services will being running and what head codes they will likely use?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Sorry to go back two pages but after rereading the thread I’ve just noticed the above. Is there any reason why NR didn’t want them running as E’s? Considering there’s 2 lots of 2R’s and 2S’s it seems odd to start pulling rank. Is there any news on when the new hourly semi fast Netley services will being running and what head codes they will likely use?

Network Rail requested that anything from the Netley Road continuing towards the New Forest was a 1K, it’s of very little relevance to the TOC how a train is headcoded so TOCs normally follow NR requests.

No news on the wider and bigger timetable change yet.

moley

The train service specification said that "Bidders must stop a minimum of 2tph off peak between the first and last train. Bidders must stop a minimum of 4tph to arrive at WAT between 08:00 and 08:59 and depart WAT between 18:00 and 18:59. "

So SWR took that, run and kept running and intend to stop 4tph all day. Same rule for Petersfield whereas Haslemere has 4tph mandatory stops. Extension of Haslemere services further South was mandated.

GW43125

Established Member
Interesting - the 1U91 that you have posted seems to be calling at only Feltham and Staines before ending at Windsor. I'm sure it will be welcomed by some, but I am disappointed as its not stopping in Ashford, which is usually served by all Windsor trains...
Looking at RTT, it seems it may well be a case of getting it out of the way, as there's a standard Windsor only 4 minutes behind it at Staines.

On Moderation
A 17:05 Reading will be very well received, since the 16:50/17:20 departures are usually full & standing by Clapham. (Although it probably doesn't help that these services are worked by 450's)
Although the current 1705 covers the same route to Ascot. The gain is really the extra Aldershot train at 1654, though Reading having a regular interval 4tph service from 1550 to 1950 is also a benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.