• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR new services

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT_USER

Slightly off topic but still relevant to SWR and not worth its own thread.

When was it decided that 10 coach trains don't fit the platform at Putney anymore? Noticed the departure board/ announcements this morning advising passengers for Putney should travel in the front 9.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

Interesting - the 1u90 that you have posted seems to be calling at only Feltham and Staines before ending at Windsor. I'm sure it will be welcomed by some, but I am disappointed as its not stopping in Ashford, which is usually served by all Windsor trains...

This is also frustrating for me from a selfish point of view as I live in Ashford and frequently travel from Brentford around that time - disappointing the all day semi fast Windsor via Hounslow didn't happen.

nw1

Established Member
One thing I'm wondering about is the consequences of the arrival of 442s on Portsmouth Direct diagramming.

At the moment the standard (though with several exceptions) pattern is that a Portsmouth fast arrives at Waterloo and then forms a Portsmouth or Haslemere stopper, and vice-versa, as that is a 20 minute turnaround time and thus an efficient use of platforms.

Presumably once the 442s arrive they will be solely focused on the fasts (with the exception of these occasional Poole journeys) meaning that the diagrams for the stoppers will have to be altered too.

The 442s will thus need a 35 minute turnaround time at Waterloo, IIRC, so that two platforms will be needed for the fasts. What will happen to the stoppers? Will they also have a 35min turnaround time (inefficient from the POV of platform usage) or will they end up interworking with Basingstoke, Alton, Portsmouth via Eastleigh and Poole?

irfquake123

This is also frustrating for me from a selfish point of view as I live in Ashford and frequently travel from Brentford around that time - disappointing the all day semi fast Windsor via Hounslow didn't happen.

Yes, and considering the above, it seems that we may not even get that during the peak, which is an even worse position. Hopefully there will still be some further movement with the timetable before it is finalised.

The draft timetable showed 4 fast/semi-fast services at peak times (two of which routed via Hounslow).
Since then, SWR have confirmed that there will be some Reading/Farnham trains stopping at Whitton during peak times. I would like to think Ashford would also be included as the existing Farnham trains do exactly that at the moment. That will mean 2 additional services during the peak which would be welcome.

nw1

Established Member
Yes, and considering the above, it seems that we may not even get that during the peak, which is an even worse position. Hopefully there will still be some further movement with the timetable before it is finalised.

The draft timetable showed 4 fast/semi-fast services at peak times (two of which routed via Hounslow).
Since then, SWR have confirmed that there will be some Reading/Farnham trains stopping at Whitton during peak times. I would like to think Ashford would also be included as the existing Farnham trains do exactly that at the moment. That will mean 2 additional services during the peak which would be welcome.

On the other hand would that not slow things down too much for people heading out to Ascot, Bracknell etc? I'm not a local but I can't imagine people heading out to the far end of the Reading line would want their services to stop at just about every station beyond Richmond! Would have thought it would be better to keep the off peak stopping pattern for the Readings in the peak, so they only stop at the principal 'inner' stations, and cover the smaller 'inner' stations with, say, the proposed extra Windsors via the Hounslow line.

irfquake123

On the other hand would that not slow things down too much for people heading out to Ascot, Bracknell etc? I'm not a local but I can't imagine people heading out to the far end of the Reading line would want their services to stop at just about every station beyond Richmond! Would have thought it would be better to keep the off peak stopping pattern for the Readings in the peak, so they only stop at the principal 'inner' stations, and cover the smaller 'inner' stations with, say, the proposed extra Windsors via the Hounslow line.

Fair point, there clearly does need to be a balance. I was just surprised to see the limited stops on the new Windsor service but I can see the view of those who would want to get to Reading/Windsor with fewer stops.

Just hoping we can get a couple of extra services out of this shakeup, as once these timetables are finalised, they probably won't change for a while...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
One thing I'm wondering about is the consequences of the arrival of 442s on Portsmouth Direct diagramming.

At the moment the standard (though with several exceptions) pattern is that a Portsmouth fast arrives at Waterloo and then forms a Portsmouth or Haslemere stopper, and vice-versa, as that is a 20 minute turnaround time and thus an efficient use of platforms.

Presumably once the 442s arrive they will be solely focused on the fasts (with the exception of these occasional Poole journeys) meaning that the diagrams for the stoppers will have to be altered too.

The 442s will thus need a 35 minute turnaround time at Waterloo, IIRC, so that two platforms will be needed for the fasts. What will happen to the stoppers? Will they also have a 35min turnaround time (inefficient from the POV of platform usage) or will they end up interworking with Basingstoke, Alton, Portsmouth via Eastleigh and Poole?
Moving the majority of the Windsor/Reading service into the international platforms is designed to provide the extra platforming possibilities for main fast services.

Another possibility is that, (especially with the eventual timetable being a major rewrite), the arrival and departure times of the fast and slow services may be re-positioned around the clock face to give more suitable turnarounds.

Last edited:

moley

Moving the majority of the Windsor/Reading service into the international platforms is designed to provide the extra platforming possibilities for main fast services.

Another possibility is that, (especially with the eventual timetable being a major rewrite), the arrival and departure times of the fast and slow services may be re-positioned around the clock face to give more suitable turnarounds.

Didn't the draft timetable have a x50 arrival, depart x09, x19 arrival, x39 departure (or similar)? for the fasts. If I remember correctly, the slows then left 10 minutes after the fasts so that they arrived Pompey just before the next fast. Evenly spaced at 15min intervals at Guildford.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Didn't the draft timetable have a x50 arrival, depart x09, x19 arrival, x39 departure (or similar)? for the fasts. If I remember correctly, the slows then left 10 minutes after the fasts so that they arrived Pompey just before the next fast. Evenly spaced at 15min intervals at Guildford.
Yes, departures at 09/39 certainly rings a bell, that stood out for me at the time as those are the current Poole and Portsmouth via Eastleigh times.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like I need to remember from May the 20:20 & 21:20 services from Waterloo towards Salisbury (and beyond) won't call at my local, instead of the new 20:50 & 21:50 services will, on Saturdays.

Although it does mean no more waiting round Basingstoke for nearly an hour from a southbound XC service :lol:

theironroad

Established Member
It is anticipated the 18.48 and 21.05 Waterloo to Poole trains will be the Bournemouth bound 442s on weekdays.

In the morning it’ll be the 05.45 ex Poole and the 06.51 from Southampton Parkway.

Sundays it’s the 21.05 Waterloo to Poole and the new 18.18 Poole to Waterloo to allow swapover of the Pompey line units.

Any idea what depot is crewing these?

On Moderation
That gap in the current Alton service (to allow for the Holybourne tanks shunt) appears to have gone in the May changes. The freight service is still there, despite not having run for well over a year, and AIUI the tanks themselves have gone for scrap. Will the freight path ever get removed?
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/AON/2019/05/20/1215?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
Does the freight path get used for the Railhead Treatment Train each autumn?

TEW

Established Member
Does the freight path get used for the Railhead Treatment Train each autumn?
No, the RHTT runs in different paths which involve a couple of passenger services having extended dwells at Bentley.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Talk of a year round Salisbury - Weymouth service as well as Basingstoke - Reading services. I’m not sure if the latter is referring to the proposed Sunday service or a weekday service of some sort.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There are some extras on top of that too, one run mid morning and another early evening.
Yes, the current timetable has four paths but I thought I’d stick with the post 20th May link for now. I expect they’ll probably be added in due course.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Talk of a year round Salisbury - Weymouth service as well as Basingstoke - Reading services. I’m not sure if the latter is referring to the proposed Sunday service or a weekday service of some sort.
Yes, they are in until December. But I don’t think paths will exist for Saturday or weekday Readings, in any case the stock is needed for the normal 2 tph Waterloo service, which will be why those Readings that do run finish on Sunday afternoon.

theironroad

Established Member
Any idea what depot is crewing these?
It is anticipated the 18.48 and 21.05 Waterloo to Poole trains will be the Bournemouth bound 442s on weekdays.

In the morning it’ll be the 05.45 ex Poole and the 06.51 from Southampton Parkway.

Sundays it’s the 21.05 Waterloo to Poole and the new 18.18 Poole to Waterloo to allow swapover of the Pompey line units.

As hamworthygoods unfortunately seems to have stopped posting, anyone else any idea what depots are crewing these services? Cheers.

pompeyfan

Established Member
As hamworthygoods unfortunately seems to have stopped posting, anyone else any idea what depots are crewing these services? Cheers.

Apparently Waterloo will now not being learning 442s. The above mentioned service would likely be Bournemouth throughout.

theironroad

Established Member
Southampton to Waterloo only 1 minute slower than the hourly REP/TC services 40 years ago!

With additional services I wonder if it would be possible to run daily limited stop trains, probably 444. E.g weymouth, Dorchester, Poole, Bournemouth, Southampton central, Southampton airports parkway and Waterloo.

The current average speed/time of the trains from Dorset and south hants is woeful and I'm sure by running faster services with attractive fares (especially off peak) they could attract more people outnof their cars off the a31/M3 and the coaches.

cle

Established Member
Agreed, for an 'inter city' service of sorts - it is pitiful. I'd suggest a London - Southampton C - Bournemouth - Poole only express, hourly to connect the main centres. Pathing tricky of course. The other stations are well-served enough.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Agreed, for an 'inter city' service of sorts - it is pitiful. I'd suggest a London - Southampton C - Bournemouth - Poole only express, hourly to connect the main centres. Pathing tricky of course. The other stations are well-served enough.
Which other services are going to be cancelled to make space? It’s been suggested many times over the years, but was last achieved when there were far fewer services altogether.

Impossible, not tricky...

Besides, I think this thread is about the May timetable, not fantasy services...

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Year round Weymouth on Saturday from Salisbury and the Reading to Salisbury service is on Sunday mornings in lieu of the second Waterloo to Salisbury service which can’t start till after the Sunday morning London area engineering works is complete due to restricted track capacity.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Which other services are going to be cancelled to make space? It’s been suggested many times over the years, but was last achieved when there were far fewer services altogether.

Impossible, not tricky...

Besides, I think this thread is about the May timetable, not fantasy services...
Winchester is a hugely busy station these days and taking Clapham or Woking out a train causes a massive backlash in terms of connectivity.

A difficult debate connectivity v speed v frequency; you only have to look at the demand for Reading (for connections), Didcot (for Oxford) and Swindon calls on the Western.

Status
Not open for further replies.