• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR new services

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I could imagine running in service to Southampton could pick up a few people depending on when the closest XC service is. It has to call at Basingstoke to drop the BV driver and guard off. Salisbury driver then takes it empty.
It’s only departing 8 mins behind the last XC to Southampton, so possibly not so much of a benefit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Apparently there will be direct Poole - Corfe Castle service on summer Saturdays. Only the 1 planned at the moment with a few Wareham shuttles thrown in too. Still. Should do the tourism industry a world of good if the weather holds out.
Have you got the timings for this

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Have you got the timings for this
As pompeyfan wrote, but it’s worth bearing in mind that it is a Corfe to Poole and return, basically part of getting the stock away to Bournemouth depot in the middle of the day. Isn’t providing for a reasonable day trip from Poole...

pompeyfan

Established Member
As pompeyfan wrote, but it’s worth bearing in mind that it is a Corfe to Poole and return, basically part of getting the stock away to Bournemouth depot in the middle of the day. Isn’t providing for a reasonable day trip from Poole...

Which is a massive shame really.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I expect what the Swanage Raiway really want is to run their own service from Wareham, but yes, an SWR service towards Corfe in the late morning and back later in the afternoon would seem to be more helpful.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I could imagine running in service to Southampton could pick up a few people depending on when the closest XC service is. It has to call at Basingstoke to drop the BV driver and guard off. Salisbury driver then takes it empty.

The inward working is unlikely to be effected by engineering work, the return working is so running it ECS allows for the service to run any number of different routes back without having to provide rail replacement. The train is primarily there for route retention.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Luckily a day out from Poole and further east is still possible by changing into the Corfe service at Wareham although it involves a long wait between connecting trains.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thinking of route retention, as mentioned by HamworthyGoods above, I understand from previous discussions that there are no 158/159 workings to the Portsmouth area now, ie from the timetable change?

I remember an SWT driver or guard writing emphatically here a few years ago that route and traction knowledge would have to be maintained at Fratton, because 158s were part of the “emergency snow plan” for the Netley route. I guess that’s a historic thing now?

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
Fratton still have some diagrams with diesel work but they’re few and far between.

I’d imagine the snow plan has now been amended to just run an 8 car across as ASDO does all the hard work, and there’ll be 8 sets of shoes per 8 car.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Fratton still have some diagrams with diesel work but they’re few and far between.

I’d imagine the snow plan has now been amended to just run an 8 car across as ASDO does all the hard work, and there’ll be 8 sets of shoes per 8 car.
I think some of us discussed before that Fratton diesel work might gradually be lost.

What service, if any would the 158/9 work to poole to form the Corfe trains

pompeyfan

Established Member
What service, if any would the 158/9 work to poole to form the Corfe trains

Going by last year it’s a 6 car from Waterloo via Weymouth to Corfe Castle, leaving 3 at Weymouth, the unit then runs up to Poole and Bournemouth, then returns to Corfe to form the afternoon service to Waterloo via Weymouth.

What does/did the other 3 at Weymouth do? Sit in Jersey Sidings?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Going by last year it’s a 6 car from Waterloo via Weymouth to Corfe Castle, leaving 3 at Weymouth, the unit then runs up to Poole and Bournemouth, then returns to Corfe to form the afternoon service to Waterloo via Weymouth.

What does/did the other 3 at Weymouth do? Sit in Jersey Sidings?

I believe the other unit did a couple trips to Yeovil Junction during the spare time

Veteran Member
The inward working is unlikely to be effected by engineering work, the return working is so running it ECS allows for the service to run any number of different routes back without having to provide rail replacement. The train is primarily there for route retention.
And being ECS no guard is required AIUI, so it could only run passenger to Basing anyway.

mchd2000

1P90 is probably best described as a semi-fast calling at Petersfield, Haslemere, Godalming, Farncombe, Guildford, Worplesdon and Woking.

As well as providing relief to 1P16 it is also I believe intended to provide relief to 2P18 which I think is the busiest AM Pompey line peak service and the only one which was formed of 450s when everything else was 444s.
Would have thought the combination of the 1P90 semi-fast and the sped up 2P90 fast service (from Haslemere onwards) will greatly reduce the overcrowding on the 1P16.
Makes me wonder why 3 minutes has been added to the journey time of the 1P16 on the GBTT despite the stops remaining exactly the same. Is this some bid to cut down on DR compensation claims?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Would have thought the combination of the 1P90 semi-fast and the sped up 2P90 fast service (from Haslemere onwards) will greatly reduce the overcrowding on the 1P16.
Makes me wonder why 3 minutes has been added to the journey time of the 1P16 on the GBTT despite the stops remaining exactly the same. Is this some bid to cut down on DR compensation claims?

It’s relative to platforming the new services at Waterloo where 1P16 now has to follow 2F86 in from Surbiton to Waterloo.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s relative to platforming the new services at Waterloo where 1P16 now has to follow 2F86 in from Surbiton to Waterloo.
The revenge of the 12.450s. Take them off the direct and they have to go somewhere, I guess Pompey commuters just didn’t expect that to be just in front of their train... :)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Is there somewhere where I can search on the train 1P16 and found out which service it is in terms of timings?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Is there somewhere where I can search on the train 1P16 and found out which service it is in terms of timings?

The search function on Real train times allows you to enter a head code, however it will only show today’s running under the simple search. For reference 1P16 is currently the 0615 Portsmouth Harbour - Waterloo. It’s the busiest train up the direct and rail staff are not allowed to use that service unless on railway business.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The search function on Real train times allows you to enter a head code, however it will only show today’s running under the simple search. For reference 1P16 is currently the 0615 Portsmouth Harbour - Waterloo. It’s the busiest train up the direct and rail staff are not allowed to use that service unless on railway business.
Thanks.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Realtimetrains advance mode has a search box (top right) that you can stick a train ID in and it will give you today’s trains that match, the relevant one is the 0615 Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo.

To find 1P16 on SWR on any future day it will always be an up direction Portsmouth line train, so should be easily found at a suitable station on any date of your choice...

infobleep

Veteran Member
As far as I can tell, only 2 minutes has been added. That's probably not long enough to add in another stop. :grin: I'll get my coat.

mchd2000

As far as I can tell, only 2 minutes has been added. That's probably not long enough to add in another stop. :grin: I'll get my coat.
Yes it is a 3 minute addition as the train is leaving 1 minute earlier than before. Disappointing as SWR seem to be adding a couple of minutes here and there to most peak services for no real reason - is there not already enough ‘buffer’ in the timetable?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Yes it is a 3 minute addition as the train is leaving 1 minute earlier than before. Disappointing as SWR seem to be adding a couple of minutes here and there to most peak services for no real reason - is there not already enough ‘buffer’ in the timetable?

It’s nothing to do with buffer it’s fitting the extra trains in has impacts on existing trains. The performance buffers in Dec 19 are unchanged.

An impact of running more trains increases the congestion at Waterloo, there may be more platforms but the station throat remains the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.