• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMT

Wow i know these train companies take the **** but who wouldve thought 6 years

Anyway, when Picklebutton applied the operator of the South Western franchise was South West Trains. All in all, I don’t think its performance results were great and I don’t know what kind of investment plans they had, if they had any. Then in 2015 they heard from the DfT that the franchise would be relet. In the end, in March 2017 it was awarded to Southern Western Railway owned by First Group and MTR Corporation rather than leaving it with South west. SWR has a 1.2 billion investment plan and has made statements that they want to achieve certain targets as soon as December 2018. The have also stated they would recruit more drivers and guards on trains. Only statements, of course, we have to wait for the facts. Therefore my view is that we won’t see six years passing before hearing from HR; perhaps one, but six again seem to be out of discussion. The problem for SWR may be finding enough driver instructors, but I doubt is going to be a problem as big as what Thameslink is experiencing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastldn

They've had around 2200 applications and they have to go through each one. There is only one person managing the review of applications and invite process so it will be a slow one. They also draft in about 4-8 candidates at a time for assessments... Also various depots have different priorities and recruitment timelines so that will impact response times and order. I've heard Waterloo has been put on hold until further notice so just have to sit tight and crack on with other things :D

Picklebutton

Don’t ever give up. It was 12 months before I even had a response as to my initial application (Feb 2012 to Feb 2013), then nothing for another five years until SWR took over. I applied for Basingstoke, and it’s now a priority depot in terms of trainee driver recruitment.

I’ve got my induction medical this coming week, so unless they find something radically wrong with me, I’ll either be on the March course or whichever is after that.

So after all that waiting, it’s come together and concluded in a month.

Ghostgeeza

Does anyone else a red box when they try to apply roles on swr website???

U havnt completed a section the way they want u to, so in my case i was working two jobs at once and it didnt let me send my application off till i put that i left one job and started the other then the red box went and i was able to send it off

Shafina patel

U havnt completed a section the way they want u to, so in my case i was working two jobs at once and it didnt let me send my application off till i put that i left one job and started the other then the red box went and i was able to send it off

Omg thank you!!!!!! It finally sent lol I have been trying since October and given up. They only send you an internal application for drivers and guards only..

Ghostgeeza

Omg thank you!!!!!! It finally sent lol I have been trying since October and given up. They only send you an internal application for drivers and guards only..
Ur welcome i was in ur position trying to send that application and having to redo it soooo many times for a numerous amount of days then after that method was used it sent and i was like some stupid system i had to basically lie and say i left a job when i was still working it because it doesnt allow us to say we worked two jobs at once, but all the best with ur application and what did u apply for ? I applied for trainee driver in october but they gave me the "sorry but no thanks" email...

Shafina patel

Ur welcome i was in ur position trying to send that application and having to redo it soooo many times for a numerous amount of days then after that method was used it sent and i was like some stupid system i had to basically lie and say i left a job when i was still working it because it doesnt allow us to say we worked two jobs at once, but all the best with ur application and what did u apply for ? I applied for trainee driver in october but they gave me the "sorry but no thanks" email...

Yeah two jobs of mine was over lapping so it didn't send it so I checked it. So stupid! I applied for customer ambassador at Clapham Junction. Are you internal or external candidate? How far do you live btw? I have heard they filter out people based on travel and if they are able to get here for their earliest start time.

Ghostgeeza

Yeah two jobs of mine was over lapping so it didn't send it so I checked it. So stupid! I applied for customer ambassador at Clapham Junction. Are you internal or external candidate? How far do you live btw? I have heard they filter out people based on travel and if they are able to get here for their earliest start time.
I know they got some ****ty system and im external and i live near aldgate east station so im nt too far off but i guess it just werent for me this time

Shafina patel

I know they got some ****ty system and im external and i live near aldgate east station so im nt too far off but i guess it just werent for me this time

Not too far. You drive? Regardless that journey shouldn't have exceeded 45 mins by bus in early morning. Honestly, apply for anything in the role and work your way up. Good way to get experience and know the company. I know a few colleagues who started off as gateline or ro2 and they are now drivers but without doing them jobs first they prob wouldn't have had the confidence to go for it

Ghostgeeza

Not too far. You drive? Regardless that journey shouldn't have exceeded 45 mins by bus in early morning. Honestly, apply for anything in the role and work your way up. Good way to get experience and know the company. I know a few colleagues who started off as gateline or ro2 and they are now drivers but without doing them jobs first they prob wouldn't have had the confidence to go for it
Its within 45 minutes prolly max 40 mins and yeah I was thinking to do that but I didn't know if theres guarantee of progresssion and basically ima bus driver right now so i was thinking that i would be taking a pay cut without the hope of progression.

Shafina patel

Its within 45 minutes prolly max 40 mins and yeah I was thinking to do that but I didn't know if theres guarantee of progresssion and basically ima bus driver right now so i was thinking that i would be taking a pay cut without the hope of progression.

Oh, I'm very surprised you didn't pass the application stage at the very least to be honest. The role is somewhat similar - able to concentrate for a long period of time, route learning and safety. There is a learner driver who passes through my workplace and he used to be a bus driver too. Definitely transferable skills there. Maybe check your answers. Did you write as much detail? Hmm yes very risky. Try again next time i guess.

Ghostgeeza

Oh, I'm very surprised you didn't pass the application stage at the very least to be honest. The role is somewhat similar - able to concentrate for a long period of time, route learning and safety. There is a learner driver who passes through my workplace and he used to be a bus driver too. Definitely transferable skills there. Maybe check your answers. Did you write as much detail? Hmm yes very risky. Try again next time i guess.
Yh thanks for ur help and ill keep an eye out for the future and lets see how it pans out but best of luck with application, hope u get it.

baz962

Established Member

To be honest they may have just did a eeny meeny sift. I applied to these and got knocked straight back, despite getting to dmi with govia, having passed all psychometrics to enhanced including mmi. Got offered an interview with c2c, phone interview with gwr, and now passed all stages and waiting medical for a well known toc. I thought it might be a distance thing, but someone who failed same dmi as me with govia has had a dmi with these and a medical last friday, and is starting monday if he changes address.

Ghostgeeza

To be honest they may have just did a eeny meeny sift. I applied to these and got knocked straight back, despite getting to dmi with govia, having passed all psychometrics to enhanced including mmi. Got offered an interview with c2c, phone interview with gwr, and now passed all stages and waiting medical for a well known toc. I thought it might be a distance thing, but someone who failed same dmi as me with govia has had a dmi with these and a medical last friday, and is starting monday if he changes address.
Yeah it is wierd how they pick and choose candidates, but if it is for us then we'll get it in the future hopefully

baz962

Established Member
Yeah it is wierd how they pick and choose candidates, but if it is for us then we'll get it in the future hopefully

Well I am have passed all stages and dmi, just medical with another toc, so will not be looking elsewhere now.

Barry K

I'm an ex-bus driver, ex-coach driver, currently in a safety critical job. Applied Woking, and so far nothing but the initial acknowledgement. Is Woking low-prioritiy?

Shafina patel

I'm an ex-bus driver, ex-coach driver, currently in a safety critical job. Applied Woking, and so far nothing but the initial acknowledgement. Is Woking low-prioritiy?

All I know is waterloo is on hold because they are prioritising other depots. What depots? No clue. However if you call up HR they should be able to tell you if you have passed the application stage and thus waiting for an assessment date in due course

GMT

From what I gathered Staines and Woking should be higher priority than Waterloo. (I mentioned Basingstoke before, in error).

Last edited:

BallaBoy

From what I gathered Staines and Woking should be higher priority than Waterloo. (I mentioned Basingstoke before, in error).
I applied for Staines and Woking and took my tests/assessments and passed them last November - still waiting for the next stage.

HeelBurton

Both depots particularly staines have an extreme shortage of DI’s. Recruitment on hold at Staines depot because of this. Same at Strawberry Hill, and waterloo has slowed down drastically also. Not sure about The outer depots like Basingstoke Farnham fratton etc.

Another potential issue is the proposed timetable which should have been approved which had all the extra services which would be introduced in December 2018 doesn’t seem to have been accepted. So with them going back to the drawing board for all these extra services and big timetable change, I guess the need to hire loads more drivers for the moment untill they come with a solid plan, isn’t necessary

GMT

So with them going back to the drawing board for all these extra services and big timetable change, I guess the need to hire loads more drivers for the moment untill they come with a solid plan, isn’t necessary

Thank you for the tip-off. Therefore it may well be another six years before we hear from them, same as what happened to Picklebutton.

Can't you HeelBurton approve the proposed timetable? You would have my full support :)

HeelBurton

Thank you for the tip-off. Therefore it may well be another six years before we hear from them, same as what happened to Picklebutton.

Can't you HeelBurton approve the proposed timetable? You would have my full support :)

I don’t have such power, I am merely a man with a green cab pass :)

Should find out more about timetable alternations in March.

Bigfoot

With the drivers freeday agreement currently in place there's more than enough willing drivers on top of the extras already recruited for the 2018 timetable.

Plus the training school has 3 classes of 12 currently. (full driver training capacity)

SimonFFC

All very frustrating news. I am waiting for dates on interviews having passed the assessment in November. Does not sound good for positive news in the coming weeks. As mentioned I guess patience is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.