• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeelBurton

It also sounds like they may be looking into the possibility of recruiting more people than they first planned: "we are re-evaluating the headcount we aim to add at each depot."

Another thing which could effect this is the lack of DI’s available. There hasn’t been an overwhelming interest for people to join the DI grade.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lasbrisas

I have had an application open since December 2016 when it was SWT, I contacted them in August when SWR took over and was told I am still in the frame. I have since started as a signaller so told them I could not do anything until february when my training finishes which they seemed to be fine with. I may go through the motions if I get an assessment date but TBH I don't think I could afford the big drop in pay. It seems a lot of guards are also applying as I have spoken to a few recently and even they have to take a pay cut to start, some by around 15K !

Equalizer27

Did anybody copy the driver job description from the careers page before they closed recruitment? If so could you copy it onto here please.

joystick

Hello , what is the colour test on the assessments is it the normal eye test chart ? Thanks

FlashingMoon

Hello , what is the colour test on the assessments is it the normal eye test chart ? Thanks

Its same as normal eye test along with reading few pages of the book with a mixture of coloured numbers and shapes (Colour Blind test)

ZFE95

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does the GTR assessment pass mark qualify at SWR?

GMT

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does the GTR assessment pass mark qualify at SWR?
IMHO it should, as it is an enhanced one whereas SWR requires a national standard. But I'm not a train driver and please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, as I simply go by what I read on this forum. If you have already passed your assessment your name should be engraved somewhere in the records.

IMHO it should, as it is an enhanced one whereas SWR requires a national standard. But I'm not a train driver and please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, as I simply go by what I read on this forum. If you have already passed your assessment your name should be engraved somewhere in the records.

This is correct. Assessment are held on a national database. GTR pass mark is enhanced so you’ll be fine with SWR.

Jade

Applied to Staines on 28th October 2017 sent an email Friday for an update and no response so far, is this good or bad news? At what point do I send another email?

GMT

Applied to Staines on 28th October 2017 sent an email Friday for an update and no response so far, is this good or bad news? At what point do I send another email?
In my view it's neither bad nor good news, simply the usual waiting game occurring in the railway industry. Just give them some more time. I sent an email to them at the end of December, they replied quite quickly (read my post No. 329 back in this thread). They are good, probably under pressure at present. Bear in mind they received thousands of applications.

Don't worry, when least expected, like a bolt from the blue, they will fire numerous rounds of bad and good news to all of us.

joystick

Hello , Does anyone who has had a Dmi interview give an idea of the sort of questions you are asked ?
Thank you

GMT

Hello , Does anyone who has had a Dmi interview give an idea of the sort of questions you are asked ?
Thank you

Tell me about a time you:

Dealt with an irate customer
Made and rectified a mistake
Dealt with an emergency
Gave great customer service
Dealt with large groups of people
Had to break bad news to someone
Saw some terrible service
Worked as part of a team
Used discretion
Followed rules and regulations
Worked for long periods of time alone
Communicated effectively
Had to do something you didn't want
Had to deal with large groups of people
Had to get a difficult message across
Solved a problem on your own
Worked in a health and safety conscious environment
You achieved something as part of a team

And so on.

And obviously the questions regarding the TOC you applied for.

During my interview I was asked about my highest achievement.

Johnny Depot

Nothing here. I’m playing on the alphabetical order card and hoping I’m just last lol!
Cheers for the response. I applied really early and hoping they worked backwards from applications. I don't think that's true but I'll keep my fingers crossed until I hear something different.

Shafina patel

Like another member posted, having been on the phone to HR i can confirm they are currently prioritising other depots so anyone who has applied for Waterloo will not hear anything for a while...

GMT

Like another member posted, having been on the phone to HR i can confirm they are currently prioritising other depots so anyone who has applied for Waterloo will not hear anything for a while...
Thanks for letting us know. However, what I was wondering is whether that means that they haven’t even touched the applications regarding Waterloo or whether they have already sifted the successful from the unsuccessful.

Teddyward

Thanks for letting us know. However, what I was wondering is whether that means that they haven’t even touched the applications regarding Waterloo or whether they have already sifted the successful from the unsuccessful.
I received a no for Waterloo some time ago. Before Christmas.

WA_Driver

They would only deal with applications that aren’t Waterloo. They will need to fill the allocation for other depots first....

GMT

They would only deal with applications that aren’t Waterloo. They will need to fill the allocation for other depots first....
Sure, but they must have already dealt with some of the Waterloo ones if Teddyward received (unfortunately, and good luck to him for the next time) a rejection.

Picklebutton

Never give up if you don’t hear anything. For all of you who thought your application has been through some sort of time warp, I applied to SWT in 2012...yes you did read that correctly, 2012!!!! It was a year before I received an email confirming I’d been successful at the application sifting stage, and that I’d be invited for assessments. Then it all went quiet. But, on the 3rd Jan 2018 I received an email asking me if I was still interested, as they are now recruiting again. Absobloodylutely!!!! :D

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Never give up if you don’t hear anything. For all of you who thought your application has been through some sort of time warp, I applied to SWT in 2012...yes you did read that correctly, 2012!!!! It was a year before I received an email confirming I’d been successful at the application sifting stage, and that I’d be invited for assessments. Then it all went quiet. But, on the 3rd Jan 2018 I received an asking me if I was still interested, as they are now recruiting again. Absobloodylutely!!!! :D

6 years wow !!!

GMT

Never give up if you don’t hear anything. For all of you who thought your application has been through some sort of time warp, I applied to SWT in 2012...yes you did read that correctly, 2012!!!! It was a year before I received an email confirming I’d been successful at the application sifting stage, and that I’d be invited for assessments. Then it all went quiet. But, on the 3rd Jan 2018 I received an asking me if I was still interested, as they are now recruiting again. Absobloodylutely!!!! :D
Oh great, possibly I'll be retired when the get in touch. Thanks for the feedback though.

Ghostgeeza

Never give up if you don’t hear anything. For all of you who thought your application has been through some sort of time warp, I applied to SWT in 2012...yes you did read that correctly, 2012!!!! It was a year before I received an email confirming I’d been successful at the application sifting stage, and that I’d be invited for assessments. Then it all went quiet. But, on the 3rd Jan 2018 I received an email asking me if I was still interested, as they are now recruiting again. Absobloodylutely!!!! :D

Wow i know these train companies take the piss but who wouldve thought 6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.