• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WAFV Vigilance and ATAVT Perception Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

traintraining

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any decent practice material which mirrors the assessments on the day for WAFV Vigilance and ATAVT Perception Tests?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin Dolan

Hi

Other than the practice materials you can buy through the first few links that come up when you Google the above tests then not really mate.

They are very straightforward.

The WAFV is literally staring at a computer screen at a grey square. You have to press a green button every time the square goes dark.
Do this for 30 mins

The ATAVT test is several photos of different traffic conditions shown on screen one at a time for a split second. After each image you get as much time as you want to choose from one or more of the answers provided.
There's about 10 images I think.

Maybe have a friend help out with showing you pictures and you writing down what you see (as it suggests in the provided practice materials or perhaps you didn't recieve these?)

Open up Microsoft paint, draw a rectangle, stare at it for 30 mins and experience your eyes sinking into your head.

They really aren't that difficult just relax and follow the computer instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

traintraining

Hi

Other than the practice materials you can buy through the first few links that come up when you Google the above tests then not really mate.

They are very straightforward.

The WAFV is literally staring at a computer screen at a grey square. You have to press a green button every time the square goes dark.
Do this for 30 mins

The ATAVT test is several photos of different traffic conditions shown on screen one at a time for a split second. After each image you get as much time as you want to choose from one or more of the answers provided.
There's about 10 images I think.

Maybe have a friend help out with showing you pictures and you writing down what you see (as it suggests in the provided practice materials or perhaps you didn't recieve these?)

Open up Microsoft paint, draw a rectangle, stare at it for 30 mins and experience your eyes sinking into your head.

They really aren't that difficult just relax and follow the computer instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

Many thanks for your helpful reply, im basically juggling current work commitments with these assessments and dont have a lot of time until the tests

With the WAFV test i am worried if i accidently hit a 'normal grey' box by accident on a few occasions that i will fail do you know if this is the case or if there is a specific mark you need to achieve?...and also will the grey box stay in one place and the size of this box is it big enough to see comfortably?

With the ATAVT i understand this is multiple choice will each answer have more than one correct answer or is there always only one correct answer?, as i understand you only have one second to see the image is that the case or do you get 2-3 seconds?

Thanks for your help!

tlionhart

WAFV;
Box doesn't move. Stays in centre screen. It's light grey and at random times goes black. Easier said then done. It's like the group bourdon. After 10mins the box may appear to go black or show signs of getting darker when nothing's happening. Your task is to hit the green button when it goes black. Like GB test, consistancy, time and accuracy. Quicker you hit the green button when the square goes black the better. ( it makes more sense when doing it. To practice; when driving about, everytime you see a '64 plate' car, tap your leg. Could even choose 15 plates, not many of them at moment so keeps you on the ball.)

ATVAT
Pictures appear for less then a second. Lol
It's having memory and understanding what things are. Sounds stupid but a small 'pedestrian crossing' sign under a traffic light could get missed for instance as someone is looking at the bigger picture. ( no pun intended )
The test is straightforward, in fact most are. It all depends on the person doing them.

The good thing for you is, with stage 2 tests, by even practicing, that will have little effect. The key is to understnad what the task is and the practice guides ( comes from the TOC) have the best examples. For the other test ( getting the ball around a shape ) Tetris will help. Can get them on the iPhone now day. Will help with finer movements.
If you don't understand a test on the day then ask.
They are not in place to catch someone out.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
I hit the button at least five six times in error and passed. .. The box appeared to get darker which confused me where it keeps flashing ... My reactions are fine and if I took it again I am sure I would have a perfect score

Three companies accept my scores so unless the score requirement.is enhanced you will be fine key is hitting all the black ones quickly... think on the day it said when the shape gets darker hit green no mention of black. . Then again I'm sure the coordination test shape varied or changed direction..

Last edited:

Chamber

How fast does the square flash please? And does it change to black mid flash?
I have my 2nd assessment 23/3 :)

l0c0m0t1ve

How fast does the square flash please? And does it change to black mid flash?
I have my 2nd assessment 23/3 :)

Firstly, very best of luck with the assessment. I had mine on the 12th of March. I found that it was hard to work out a pattern of how many times the square flashes grey before it flashes black/darker.

However, I did notice that mine turned darker about 2 seconds after the guy sitting next to me had pressed his green button. It wasn't every single time but about 90% of the time.

I got it wrong about 3-4 times and still passed.

Last edited:

theking

How on earth are you supposed to remember what's in the picture if it's up for less than a second unless you've got a photographic memory?

tlionhart

How on earth are you supposed to remember what's in the picture if it's up for less than a second unless you've got a photographic memory?

That's the whole point of test. Not everyone can do them. I didn't struggle with any of them, just time is the issue.
They are trying to get the best suitable candidates for the job. After all they are investing a lot of money into the training (which itself isn't easy) makes me wonder, if someone struggles with the tests, what they are going to be like during training?
The tests are not meant to mimic driving a train at all, they are phycological tests.
Take the box test. There's no point in second guessing that test. Working out ways to cheat the tests. Just go in and do it.

You can either do the tests or you can't. Bit like someone can either play football very well or useless at the sport (this would be me!) hahahaha

Last edited:

Chamber

Firstly, very best of luck with the assessment. I had mine on the 12th of March. I found that it was hard to work out a pattern of how many times the square flashes grey before it flashes black/darker.

However, I did notice that mine turned darker about 2 seconds after the guy sitting next to me had pressed his green button. It wasn't every single time but about 90% of the time.

I got it wrong about 3-4 times and still passed.

Thanks Ml, and l0c0m0t1ve.

l0c0m0t1ve

That's the whole point of test. Not everyone can do them. I didn't struggle with any of them, just time is the issue.
They are trying to get the best suitable candidates for the job. After all they are investing a lot of money into the training (which itself isn't easy) makes me wonder, if someone struggles with the tests, what they are going to be like during training?
The tests are not meant to mimic driving a train at all, they are phycological tests.
Take the box test. There's no point in second guessing that test. Working out ways to cheat the tests. Just go in and do it.

You can either do the tests or you can't. Bit like someone can either play football very well or useless at the sport (this would be me!) hahahaha

You do have a point there. However, what if there WAS someone who wasn't very good with the tests but somehow managed to get through them and then found that they were good at the actual training. After all, as you pointed out, the tests do not replicate driving/learning to drive a train.

I do agree with what you said about the tests being there to help identify the most suitable candidates for the role.

And as for your footballer analogy, what if a player was good but was performing poorly because John Terry had bedded his wife? :D;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks Ml, and l0c0m0t1ve.

No problem mate. It is easier said than done, but do try and relax on the day.

Oh and another thing, at no point in the test does the square constantly flash black so if you think you see this, it's not happening.

There was a lady there when I did my test and she kept pressing the button constantly and I thought at some point I will reach a stage where I would see the black square repeatedly - it never happened. She failed, obviously.

traintraining

Hi i have one more question regarding the ATAVT, the practice material says you may see the following:
Pedesterians
motor vehicles
bikes, motorcycles
road signs
traffic lights

so are these the only answers in the real test, or will they ask which colour was the traffic lights or how many lorries were their in the picture!!

Grateful if anyone could clarify for me!!

Martin Dolan

No these are the only answers mate.

They do point out that buses, motorbikes and cars all come under motor vehicles though.

Good luck!

Chamber

Thank you all for the help, Ive successfully passed the computorised test bits, now awaiting mmi results

DunfordBridge

Hi i have one more question regarding the ATAVT, the practice material says you may see the following:
Pedesterians
motor vehicles
bikes, motorcycles
road signs
traffic lights

so are these the only answers in the real test, or will they ask which colour was the traffic lights or how many lorries were their in the picture!!

Grateful if anyone could clarify for me!!

Do you ever get all five different kinds of stimuli being presented in the one photo? Say, for example, a cyclist and a bus turning up at a junction with traffic lights and road signs with a few pedestrians dotted about the place.

l0c0m0t1ve

Do you ever get all five different kinds of stimuli being presented in the one photo? Say, for example, a cyclist and a bus turning up at a junction with traffic lights and road signs with a few pedestrians dotted about the place.

Yes, I seem to remember one or two with traffic stopped at red lights with pedestrians and cyclists crossing the road.

Martin Dolan

Its possible you could have all five answers in a photo but as you aren't told the answers during the test you'll never know know. It's best to just select the answers after each photo as best you can.

You won't see a bus 'turning' up, the photos are shown for less than a second at the most, literally. Don't focus on one part of the photo, try and take it all in.
Good luck!

plastictaffy

The images are shown for 1.2 seconds. There is, on Youtube, a video that shows you most (if not all) of the images you will see. I might have accidentally stumbled upon it before I went and did my ATAVT.....

387star

On Moderation
The images are shown for 1.2 seconds. There is, on Youtube, a video that shows you most (if not all) of the images you will see. I might have accidentally stumbled upon it before I went and did my ATAVT.....

This was by far the hardest of all the tests but I have not heard anyone failing on this part

Mumbo

I'm pretty sure the video is only the example pictures you get to see before the test starts and not the actual test pictures. Saying that it still gives you some good preparation for the test and what to expect on the day.

This was actually one of my strongest areas on the day.

DunfordBridge

Thanks to everyone who contributed an answer to my recent question. I can see why it would be a good idea not to focus on one part of the photo for longer than necessary, buses and such like are pretty hard to miss anyway. I think I can just about cope with pedestrians crossing the road rather than lurking around in the shadows.

I did have an assessment invitation with a certain company operating out of Liverpool Street, I believe, but as their personnel department was not very forthcoming with information, I thought stuff them and reneged the opportunity of spending £200 to sample the new recruitment process for the first time.

Last edited:

Mumbo

Not sure if that was the one I found. And now I cant remember if some of those pics were in the test, I do recall there were about 10 pics in the real test and about 3 sample pics before you started so it's possible one or two in this video are in the actual test and like wise in the samples before the test started.

Either way watching this video will help, that's one thing I can be certain of :)

Mumbo

There's more than one or two pics in there that are in the real test!! I remember smiling to myself when I did the test. How you getting on?? Frontending should start soon, I would imagine??

Medical 21st and then starting on the 18th May :) still hasn't sunk in yet!

Hoody

Hi there.

For those of you that completed stage 2, what was the hardest bit in your opinion? I've got mine this coming Friday and I'm worried about the ATAVT test. I'm not confident about the rest but less worried.

Some have commented that they don't know of anyone that failed that part but to me that looks like it could be the harder of the tests.

Any replies advice greatly appreciated.

387star

On Moderation
The grey box was easy but watch it doesn't catch you out like it did me only hit when completely black !! I still passed however although probably not to the enhanced level
I'm sure the instructions said hit the button when the box goes darker which seemed a bit vague .. Apparently it is only ever grey or black but like others I swear it got darker at one or two points during the test and at first I ignored the flashes then stupidly reacted...I think they start to flash a lot more frequently which perhaps makes them appear progressively darker against the white?
Regarding atavt most certainly the toughest my advice is don't second guess and think there are only a few things to find to make it easier!myou want to scan so if you see an object you need you think right seen that and move on normally the objects are obvious enough and where you would expect to find the,

Last edited:

traintraining

The grey box is challenging, but you just need to relax and concentrate, thats the best advice i can give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.