• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishIHadAName

Just out of interest what are the hours of the initial classroom period of training? Is it a 5 day week? I take its more than 35 hours a week whilst your training.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dctraindriver

Just out of interest what are the hours of the initial classroom period of training? Is it a 5 day week? I take its more than 35 hours a week whilst your training.
Mainly office hours in the classroom, 5 days a week, 40 hour week. Remains 40 hours then drops to 35 hours once you drive your first train productive.

Lewis H

Too many posts to reply to, but in regards to people asking if anyone has had DMI’s recently etc, I had a DMI and MMI the week before last in the same week and medical last Friday to start at Waterloo on the 4th March. I’m led to believe there are courses planned to start monthly.

HeelBurton

Too many posts to reply to, but in regards to people asking if anyone has had DMI’s recently etc, I had a DMI and MMI the week before last in the same week and medical last Friday to start at Waterloo on the 4th March. I’m led to believe there are courses planned to start monthly.

This is correct. At Waterloo anyway. Look out for me at Waterloo. Or I’ll look out for you.

Lewis H

Same here! I am in the March course too.. Have you recoeved your contract yet?

Katy rang me on Monday or Tuesday saying that it needs to be signed off by a manager or something, I should expect it by the end of the week, so assuming tomorrow. Do you live near Waterloo?

This is correct. At Waterloo anyway. Look out for me at Waterloo. Or I’ll look out for you.

Yeah sure thing, I’m in the process of trying to relocate at the moment, any areas which a lot of colleagues tend to live?

HeelBurton

Katy rang me on Monday or Tuesday saying that it needs to be signed off by a manager or something, I should expect it by the end of the week, so assuming tomorrow. Do you live near Waterloo?

Yeah sure thing, I’m in the process of trying to relocate at the moment, any areas which a lot of colleagues tend to live?

I live in Neasden myself. There’s not many my direction. A lot of people live south of the river, using south eastern to get in. Waterloo is a tough one being a non residential depot. You either live within TFL zones 2-4 or you live far out but you are able to drive within the 40 minutes.

HeelBurton

Hopefully they got a twin room

To be fair I am a DI, I should be prioritised

Anyway, currently they are clearing up the Staines backlog at the moment but I believe there’s courses starting March and every month after that for a bit.

BallaBoy

Commencement of course - £24,648
Commencement of rules training - £ 28,829
Commencement of “Drivers final” - £33,008
Completion of training - £51,817

Doesn't the qualified driver pay from April 2019 go to £62k or thereabouts?

Stigy

Established Member
No. I’m not sure what their latest pay deal is, but maybe they agreed a deal to increase the salary over the next 5-years by a certain percentage which equates to this amount? (In 5 years).

HeelBurton

No. I’m not sure what their latest pay deal is, but maybe they agreed a deal to increase the salary over the next 5-years by a certain percentage which equates to this amount? (In 5 years).
Nothing has been agreed.

theironroad

Established Member

No....

The next driver pay deal is due on 1 April 2019 but the only communication received a few months ago was that the negotiations are likely to be protracted. SWT/R pay deals are not usually agreed until months after they were due (though pay is backdated to the 1/4 anniversary date)

BallaBoy

Here is part of a current advert for a qualified driver for GWR..Oxford and Reading station...
Qualified Train Driver - East (8305)

Salary: £50,977 per annum.

At GWR, we're looking for Qualified Train Drivers who want to deliver a different kind of rail service. Where rewards are first class, and where salaries will rise to around £62k by 2020. Where the fleet is being modernised. And where you'll get the chance to drive through some of the UK's most beautiful countryside, across the South West of England and Wales.

As SWR is part of First Group does it not apply also??

HeelBurton

No...

Here is part of a current advert for a qualified driver for GWR..Oxford and Reading station...

At GWR, we're looking for Qualified Train Drivers who want to deliver a different kind of rail service. Where rewards are first class, and where salaries will rise to around £62k by 2020. Where the fleet is being modernised. And where you'll get the chance to drive through some of the UK's most beautiful countryside, across the South West of England and Wales.

WA_Driver

No.....

theironroad

Established Member
Does the .... after no mean anything?

While parent companies may have some input into pay negotiations , they are the responsibility of the TOC themselves.

While SWT and EMT were both 100% Stagecoach owned and VTEC was 90% Stagecoach owned, they were all on very different pay and terms and conditions. When Stagecoach owned all three, the only common issue most staff benefitted from was some cross - TOC granted travel benefits, which dissolved when SWR were taken over by First Group/MTR.

Let's not also forget, this current £62 pay being advertised is the first time in over 10 years of trying that three divisions of the same TOC have finally achieved harmonisation.

jc1

I thought that maybe the .... was meant as a cryptic clue that aslef were trying to negotiate £62k

Status
Not open for further replies.