• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT 158 & 159 Refurbishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
With 159103 back from Loughborough spotting a new livery, and in service (spotted at the tail end of a trio of units passing Winchfield at 19:00 (so 18:20 departure from Waterloo)), anybody got any images of what the refurbishment is like on the inside, i.e. the new accessible toilet?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
How long ago was it that they were last refurbished? They seem to still be quite good inside although it was last year when I last travelled on them.

superalbs

Established Member
I really really sincerely hope the seats used on the Class 387 are not in there, they seem to be the go to seating for train refurbs now.

If it is these wretched seats, I'm going to go with FGW from here on out.

455driver

Veteran Member
I really really sincerely hope the seats used on the Class 387 are not in there, they seem to be the go to seating for train refurbs now.

So you have no idea if the seats have been changed or if they have been changed, what they have been changed to but felt the need to criticise anyway! :roll:

superalbs

Established Member
So you have no idea if the seats have been changed or if they have been changed, what they have been changed to but felt the need to criticise anyway! :roll:

I read on a photo of the refurb that they have been changed, but I'm not sure if they have to be quite honest.

MCR247

Established Member
This is my source btw, couldnt remember where I'd seen it! (From the 'End of SWT franchise' thread)
Not sure which thread to put this into without creating a new one. But SWT's 159103 has finally returned to Salisbury Depot within the past week, It has received a Newer Revised livery, New Seat Covers, New Carpet and New Disabled Bog but that's it. Basically a C6 and no new talked about seats or plug sockets.

fgwrich

Established Member
This is my source btw, couldnt remember where I'd seen it! (From the 'End of SWT franchise' thread)

Indeed. There was a lot of murmurings that SWT did want to use the same Grammer Seating as currently used in the Desiro & BR EMU fleets, this both to increase seating capacity within the 158 & 159 fleets, and to standardise the SWT fleet - some of this coming from Modern Railways. But visibly none of this has actually happened, as it has basically only received the equivalent of a C6 overhaul at Brush. I'm not sure when WIFI roll out will be reaching the 159s yet, that may be on hold.

Kite - South West Trains's Sprinter Fleet were last refurbished in two batches around 2006-2007 for the converted 159/1 Fleet and 2007-2008/9 for the 159/0 Fleet. Some of them certainly are starting to show that they're in need of some interior attention, with the areas around the vestibules wearing badly in some of the /1s. I'd just wish they didn't go for that rather stupidly designed handwash / hand dryer module thing behind the door though, FGWs are better designed in that respect allowing to you actually manage to open the door then without banging into the sink!

TEW

Established Member
The interior is largely unchanged, but it has been restored to brand new condition. It feels and smells like a new train inside. There have been some minor changes to the interior layout for PRM-TSI compliance, as well as new door hustle alarms, modifications to the disabled toilet and a Call for Aid system has been fitted.

iantherev

Good job they haven't changed the seats then given your comments on the new FGW stock today.

bnm

Established Member
If they'd changed the seats on the 159s and following introduction of the AT300s superalbs would have had no rail choice left to travel to London on based on his confused hyperbole.

Switching to FGW if SWT had changed the Class 159 seats.

Switching to SWT when the AT300s are introduced.

fgwrich

Established Member

superalbs

Established Member
If they'd changed the seats on the 159s and following introduction of the AT300s superalbs would have had no rail choice left to travel to London on based on his confused hyperbole.

Switching to FGW if SWT had changed the Class 159 seats.

Switching to SWT when the AT300s are introduced.

I'd have to walk. :p

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Very few of the exterior so far. Nothing of the interior.

Not sure why the orange on the doors has been replaced with what I can only describe as Pineapple Yellow. Nor for the replacement of the Swoosh - Perhaps VTEC have stolen them? with a First Bus (The Zip) Zig Zag Go Faster pattern.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/colin_outandabout/19589950491/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukbuses/18057853595/

Thanks for these. Odd that EMT and SWT have similar DMU's and an identical corporate colour palette, but still end up with different liveries for the two companies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for these. Odd that EMT and SWT have similar DMU's and an identical corporate colour palette, but still end up with different liveries for the two companies.

Before this latest change the various EMT/SWT 158s and 159s did have the same livery surely? Perhaps this new variation will eventually appear on EMT as well?

CC 72100

Established Member
I've got to say it given that it seems to be in fashion at the moment for repainting... First class doesn't seem that well labelled from the outside. ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Before this latest change the various EMT/SWT 158s and 159s did have the same livery surely? Perhaps this new variation will eventually appear on EMT as well?

No the SWT and EMT liveries were subtly different, the EMT one was more 'wavy' towards the front.

dosxuk

Established Member

SWT
1024px-South_West_Trains_158789_at_Bristol_Temple_Meads_2005-12-07_04.jpg

EMT
1024px-Nottingham_railway_station_MMB_A4_156470_158856_158854.jpg

(images from Wikipedia)

al.currie93

Very few of the exterior so far. Nothing of the interior.

Not sure why the orange on the doors has been replaced with what I can only describe as Pineapple Yellow. Nor for the replacement of the Swoosh - Perhaps VTEC have stolen them? with a First Bus (The Zip) Zig Zag Go Faster pattern.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/colin_outandabout/19589950491/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukbuses/18057853595/

That change looks odd to me... probably because I'm so used to the existing one and it's not a major change! I'd have stuck with the old one personally but oh well :P

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

That's a 10 year old picture on wiki, one of the two original 158s that went to Scotrail. The red doors are now orange, I reckon the only real difference is the 'bow wave' on the EMT unit, and that's a detail rather than a completely different livery...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That's a 10 year old picture on wiki, one of the two original 158s that went to Scotrail. The red doors are now orange, I reckon the only real difference is the 'bow wave' on the EMT unit, and that's a detail rather than a completely different livery...

Don't SWT regularly have the front set of doors out of use? Which would explain the lack of a different colour on the doors nearest a cab (though as you say, they were repainted orange quite early on). EMT units are less likely to work in multiple, so that way of working wouldn't be practical. Changes to SWT livery are somewhat jarring, simply because they've held the franchise for so long. It seems that they may not retain it at the next renewal, so we stick-in-the-mud enthusiasts need to get used to it!

CC 72100

Established Member
Don't SWT regularly have the front set of doors out of use? Which would explain the lack of a different colour on the doors nearest a cab (though as you say, they were repainted orange quite early on).

Yes, the set of doors immediately behind the driver are locked out of use, although I do not see the link between that and the colour, given that they can only be out of use 50% of the time if they are working alone, with most workings in multiple, and therefore a different colour to denote being locked out of use (perhaps) would be very drastic!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That change looks odd to me... probably because I'm so used to the existing one and it's not a major change! I'd have stuck with the old one personally but oh well :P

They don't look quite the same - the first photo looks like "teeth", the second one more of a blur. Possibly camera differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.