• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT 159 First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi in December I will most likley be travelling first class from Plymouth-london in a 159, has anyone got a link to a picture of first class? and do you get any complementary freshments?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LondonLarry

Hi in December I will most likley be travelling first class from Plymouth-london in a 159, has anyone got a link to a picture of first class? and do you get any complementary freshments?

Don't forget that SWT will stop running west of Exeter from Sunday 13 December 2009!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No, don't think you get refeshments.

However, personally i'd recommend travelling by FGW, its quicker, first class is better, you get a first class host and whatever is available on the trolley.

No refreshements on SWT in First Class. SWT's Advance fares start from £25 single and FGW's start at £32.50. I think SWT are a bit more generous with their availability of Advance fares compared to FGW.

Ok thanks for the replys, when travelling First class with FGW what are the complementary food/drink?

thefab444

Established Member
There are complimentary refreshments for FC pax on SWT, contrary to popular belief...

National Rail said:
South West Trains First Class ticket holders receive a complimentary hot drink on services with catering facilities that arrive at London Waterloo prior to 10.00 from Bournemouth, Portsmouth and the West of England.

I presume this only applies on weekdays but it doesn't specify.

devon_metro

Established Member
Ok thanks for the replys, when travelling First class with FGW what are the complementary food/drink?

If travelling weekday, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water, fruit juice, biscuits, crisps, cakes, muffins and nuts. You also get a copy of The Times.

Also, if you buy anything from the Travelling Chef, it is delivered to your seat on plates.

schenker

No pictures, But quite nice carriages indeed, good leg room, clean, Good comfy seating but no complementary refreshments though.

asylumxl

Established Member
If travelling weekday, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water, fruit juice, biscuits, crisps, cakes, muffins and nuts. You also get a copy of The Times.

Also, if you buy anything from the Travelling Chef, it is delivered to your seat on plates.

And if you're traveling weekends, diddly squat! Some biscuits and a drink. Quality stuff :roll:.

devon_metro

Established Member
Still far better than the SWT offering. Many of the seats have a pillar as a window view!

Stacey

Hiya, here's an interior shot:
http://www.staceys-fots.fotopic.net/p48794530.html (note the head bits are blue not orange now)

To clear up anything - I work the SWT Trolleys from EXD and if you travel on the 0510 or 0641 off EXD you do get complimentary drinks, HOWEVER, all the other trains do NOT have complimentary drinks. Basically the only upgrade you get in FC is a bigger seat and a plug socket...(this is just [so ya know] the EXD-WAT services!) sorry!!

S.

Hiya, here's an interior shot:
http://www.staceys-fots.fotopic.net/p48794530.html (note the head bits are blue not orange now)

To clear up anything - I work the SWT Trolleys from EXD and if you travel on the 0510 or 0641 off EXD you do get complimentary drinks, HOWEVER, all the other trains do NOT have complimentary drinks. Basically the only upgrade you get in FC is a bigger seat and a plug socket...(this is just [so ya know] the EXD-WAT services!) sorry!!

S.
Why is it only on specific services?

fireincairo

I presume it's to lure business customers into First Class. The promise of a hot "beverage" and a larger seat/plug socket would be enough to take me out of a the cattle market if I had the money. No matter how dubious the beverage :p

krus_aragon

Established Member
I presume it's to lure business customers into First Class. The promise of a hot "beverage" and a larger seat/plug socket would be enough to take me out of a the cattle market if I had the money. No matter how dubious the beverage :p

I've often felt the need for a larger plug socket :P

Stacey

Well, it's a mixture of a lot, SWT substardise the catering via Rail Gourmet so they don't want to pay out for everyone in FC to get a free brew even if the other companies do. It cuts down their costs but they have to provide some sort of 'FC service' contractually.
The morning trains are for the commuters so they do attract them across by offering the drink and thus providing the service. You can have a tea/coffee/hot chocolate (although, [and I don't do the earlies btw] some stewards [so I've heard] won't offer the hot chocolate as they have it themselves...!)

Short story though.... SWT are tight!! lol - Well, on our route at least!
The Bournemouth run (and I don't know about their FC) do take an awful lot more than us so perhaps that's why we only have it on two trains per day...

Fincra5

Established Member
I sat from Exeter to Clapham junction the the 1st class today :). They are very comfortable and spacious and only a £5 upgrade at weekends.

Stacey

On a working it point of view what really winds me up is the pinging FC doors separating it from Standard. The door always pings and it's very tricky to pull the trolley though (esp when it's busy!) Grr!:-x

asylumxl

Established Member
On a working it point of view what really winds me up is the pinging FC doors separating it from Standard. The door always pings and it's very tricky to pull the trolley though (esp when it's busy!) Grr!:-x

You should employ someone to hold the doors open for you :p. Judging by another thread involving you on here, it wouldn't take much work to find cheap labour :lol:.

Stacey

You should employ someone to hold the doors open for you :p. Judging by another thread involving you on here, it wouldn't take much work to find cheap labour :lol:.

Lol, I know what you mean - any takers?!?! haha, it would be easier if the door could be held open a bit but if the train jolts... keep ya feet out of the way!!!! :roll:

asylumxl

Established Member
Lol, I know what you mean - any takers?!?! haha, it would be easier if the door could be held open a bit but if the train jolts... keep ya feet out of the way!!!! :roll:

Is no passenger polite enough to actually hold the doors open? I find that quite shocking to be honest.

dan_atki

Established Member
Is no passenger polite enough to actually hold the doors open? I find that quite shocking to be honest.

It's near impossible to hold one of those doors open as someone else walks through it, given the clearance it has and its size!

I can see a problem occurring with SWT 158 and 159 FC* with a trolley, though. The trolley requires the person to be pulling it towards them at all times so they can operate the door (push upon entering, pull upon exiting). That in itself is OK but how does the person get from one end of the trolley to the other at the end of the coach?

* Or indeed standard class, if this is at the very front of the train.

Simple answer is to go into the vestibule and turn around there, but bear in mind that the front vestibule of a SWT 158/159 is not accessible from the saloon (for some reason). There isn't any clearance for someone to walk alongside one of those trolleys, so I'm assuming they have to be pushed out of the first coach (rather than pulled). This'd require someone to open the FC door (if it exists) and also the vestibule door.

I'd know the answer to my own question if I observed a bit more :oops:. I'm sure Stacey can unravel the mystery!

asylumxl

Established Member
I have been able to press the button on a 159 while letting someone past. Might be cos im tall and my arms are of reasonable length.

dan_atki

Established Member
Still should be possible for someone to assist.

It should be possible for anyone to assist opening any door, but people trying to help open that door do just get in the way as it opens onto a luggage rack*!

*Except on 159/1s where it opens the opposite way onto a seat/space (I can't remember whether the seat is set forward to avoid the door opening onto it - I'd hope so in first class!) so the person sitting/standing there could help. But there are only 8 159/1s compared to 22 159/0s and 11 158s in SWT's fleet...

TEW

Established Member
It's near impossible to hold one of those doors open as someone else walks through it, given the clearance it has and its size!

I can see a problem occurring with SWT 158 and 159 FC* with a trolley, though. The trolley requires the person to be pulling it towards them at all times so they can operate the door (push upon entering, pull upon exiting). That in itself is OK but how does the person get from one end of the trolley to the other at the end of the coach?

* Or indeed standard class, if this is at the very front of the train.

Simple answer is to go into the vestibule and turn around there, but bear in mind that the front vestibule of a SWT 158/159 is not accessible from the saloon (for some reason). There isn't any clearance for someone to walk alongside one of those trolleys, so I'm assuming they have to be pushed out of the first coach (rather than pulled). This'd require someone to open the FC door (if it exists) and also the vestibule door.

I'd know the answer to my own question if I observed a bit more :oops:. I'm sure Stacey can unravel the mystery!
The trolley dolley just opens the door into the front vestibule using their T-Key and turns around there. It is locked out as it is for crew use only, but unlockable with a T-Key.

Fincra5

Established Member

I actually did :) when the trolly guy game through the door i could see it was difficult trying to get the trolley through and himself so i reached from my seat and held it open :D

Stacey

In the 159/1s the FC manual door (that's the one which is a pain) is the other way round, this door is more annoying when pulling to the standard section as it pulls the crisps off when it pings!! - Some pax hold the door but the majority don't. You pull it towards you into the standard section with the right arm and hold the door open with your left. That can be awkward.

At the ends of the coaches though, FC there is enough room to turn, take stabilisers off and it'll turn unless people sat there and left their bags in the way. In Standard, to be honest, I use my T Key and override the emergency doors, nip through and turn in the vestuble and nip back out as you're not supposed to be in there. According to 'the book' we have to push the trolley all the way back to the end of the coach. Very heavy and bear in mind it doesn't like being pushed... most drivers are aware and you check with them first that they don't mind you doing that.

With the annoyances, manual door in FC and the front coach which is lead by Standard!

dan_atki

Established Member
At the ends of the coaches though, FC there is enough room to turn, take stabilisers off and it'll turn unless people sat there and left their bags in the way. In Standard, to be honest, I use my T Key and override the emergency doors, nip through and turn in the vestuble and nip back out as you're not supposed to be in there. According to 'the book' we have to push the trolley all the way back to the end of the coach. Very heavy and bear in mind it doesn't like being pushed... most drivers are aware and you check with them first that they don't mind you doing that.

Thanks for clearing that up! I thought the official line would be you have to push it all the way back...

Something that I've just remembered - I recall a few months ago the driver having to leave the train through the front vestibule so as to use the signal post phone.

Would I, therefore, be correct in assuming that the reason the front vestibule is locked out of use is because the door buttons are activated for the entire journey, allowing the driver to leave the train as necessary?

johnb

Thanks for clearing that up! I thought the official line would be you have to push it all the way back...

Something that I've just remembered - I recall a few months ago the driver having to leave the train through the front vestibule so as to use the signal post phone.

Would I, therefore, be correct in assuming that the reason the front vestibule is locked out of use is because the door buttons are activated for the entire journey, allowing the driver to leave the train as necessary?

I doubt the door buttons are activated (more likely requires a J-key), but that is why the front doors & vestible are locked: safety standards imposed since the 158s/159s entered service say that the doors drivers use to exit the train to talk to signalmen etc can't be accessible to the public, in case some idiot follows the driver out and gets run over / electrocuted / etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.