• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swt Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB25

Wow I can't believe how long those SWT courses are taking!

What depots do SW have? I only really know Wimbledon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

new2this

I heard one course in March/April, and I know they run courses for Basingstoke and Wimbledon, can not really say of what other depots they do for.

blighty

Hi all, first post, but Ive been following the threads in this particular forum for a while.

Im an internal applicant for a SWT trainee driver role. I initially applied in Oct. 2011, had my assessments in Feb/March 2012, followed by my interviews in Oct. 2012. All successfully navigated!

Im now in the same boat as a few of the posters here, waiting for my medical and course date. Im quite friendly with the recruitment team, I spoke to them last week, and they informed me there would be 6 courses this year, every other month starting in Feb.

SWT initially advertised back in 2011 for all depots (Waterloo, Wimbledon, Strawberry hill, Staines, Woking, Guildford, Fratton, Salisbury, Basingstoke for definite), and Ive got a couple of mates who applied at the same time who havent even been interviewed yet (for Guildford btw).

Its an agonizinly laborious process, just have to be patient and keep in regular contact with the recruitment team.

canman31

And it probably doesn't help them getting pestered by everyone wanting updates, its trying to strike a delicate balance !
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And it probably doesn't help them getting pestered by everyone wanting updates, its trying to strike a delicate balance !

Last edited:

Scuba

Hi Everyone

I got 'The Call' today from H.R. :D Asking when I would like to go for my medical.
So to me that is a good sign of do you want to come and work for us! :D
Will call them back tomorrow and let them know. 8-)
Now sitting here with a big cheesy grin! :lol:

Scuba

Hi Katie

Applied for Farnham. :grin: I know its not one off the big depots but it is really close to where I live. And a mate of mine talked me into it! ;)

klcw_01

Thats good that you have a medical! Im also waiting for a medical and start date... hopefully will be this year as some of the posts on here about the courses being cancelled are quite worrying! Good luck :)

Scuba

Hi Again Katie

Which depot have you applied for?
I couldn't believe it when they phoned up, I was just saying to a mate of mine it all seams have gone quite, and on queue 'ring ring!' Nearly dropped my tea! :p

Jason

klcw_01

Yes I bet it was a great feeling! I can't wait to get a similar phone call...

The depot I have applied to is Salisbury.

new2this

That is good news, well done.

It seems to be a waiting (and pestering HR) game, and it depends by the sounds of it what stations want and need people, I did call HR again myself and have now put myself forward for other stations to make myself more available, this will mean relocation but the short term pain for the long term gain is how I look at it and it will all pay off. I will call again in Feb to check the progress of my situation and am hopeful of a start this year even if it is December.

Good luck to all who are waiting!!!!!!!!

Scuba

Yes I bet it was a great feeling! I can't wait to get a similar phone call...

The depot I have applied to is Salisbury.

If you get placed there I will have a word with my mate and ask him to look after you. ;)

Hi Everyone

Up-date had several phone calls today, and I am now pencilled in for a March start all going well with the medical. :D
Now it is panic stations to clear my back log of work!!! :eek:

Dowdy1

Well done Scuba - I applied for Farnham too back in Feb 2012 passed half the assessments but my application is on hold pending some vacancies. BTW, how long was the time frame from applying to medical?

Scuba

Hi Dowdy1
Just had a look, I applied in December 11, had the tests in March then interviewed in September. The nice lady from H.R. did say there was quite a few applications for Farnham she was dealing with, but demand was also very high from other depots to get courses booked up.
Fingers crossed you get a phone call soon. :)

Jason

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Unfortunately other than the weekend the only turn that see's a 455 around the Hounslow loop is a VZ driver/SN Guard's job in the morning. But you are dead right though, the 450s are not well suited to the loop at all, for the reasons you have mentioned. That and you can fit an 8 car (just!) 455 at Isleworth. ;)

Yes, 0843 Waterloo-Waterloo. I made the mistake of thinking I could despatch from the rear cab of an 8 455 at Isleworth once, it's a very long way down.

Overheadrack

Hi
I've got the very final interview coming up for a B'mouth driver position. Been reading shedloads for prep but anyone happy to pass on very likely questions they'll ask please?
Also how many people are you in front of at the interview?
Are there the inevitable questions like:
How would you cope with a fatality?
Why do you want to be a train driver?
How would you cope with the training?
How do you deal with stress?
Also I'm not that technically/engineering minded although obviously will have to learn train schematics. Are they likely to ask about hands on approach and any experience in that field?
I'm already with SWT but 'chair' based so are they likely to press me and expect more in my answers?
Any pointers hugely appreciated.
Cheers

canman31

Lucky you
I applied last jan sat tests in July and was told no jobs at depot I applied for due to reduction in trainees and taking qualified if I don't want to wait apply to other toc's !
And their still interviewing and testing staff.

Do your homework read the drivers blog it's start to finish an he really has done a great job on it.
http://swtdriver.blogspot.co.uk
Top man !

Check up other posts on whats asked research driver role and training.

I may not even make it so I'm very deflated at the moment.

Good luck and enjoy !!!!!

TDK

Established Member
Hi
I've got the very final interview coming up for a B'mouth driver position. Been reading shedloads for prep but anyone happy to pass on very likely questions they'll ask please?
Also I'm not that technically/engineering minded although obviously will have to learn train schematics. Are they likely to ask about hands on approach and any experience in that field?
I'm already with SWT but 'chair' based so are they likely to press me and expect more in my answers?
Cheers

To be fair you need to be original with your answers and use your application answers as a guide.

Scuba

Hi Everyone,
Well an update, got a clean sheet with the C.R.B. checks :D had my medical and I am Mr. Average bar 'could do with keeping an eye on your weight when you start.. ..' :oops: So now just waiting for the drug's test results which should be all clear as I have been a good boy! ;) and the return of my reference from my accountant :neutral: (self employed).

So fingers cross for the 8th of April. :)

Scuba
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Everyone
Well the Drug test came back all clear. :D Even knowing it would it still make you nervous, and my reference letters are being posted out today / tomorrow.
So still on my way. :D

kennydies

Hi
Cheers

Hi, where did you see the vacancy for the bmouth drivers? Was it on the SWT webite or another source?

Thanks

Overheadrack

@ kennydies - you have pm

so had the managers' interview last week and to be honest thought it went totally pants.
Maybe just me being over critical of meself. We'll see in about a week.

Last edited:

Scuba

Hi Everyone,
I am starting training on the 8th April! Wooo Hooo!!!!! :D

So hope to see a class full of happy smiling people over at Basingstoke in a few weeks time. ;)

Scuba aka Jason

canman31

Well done !

I'm still waiting probably be next year or year after one of the lucky ones.
Are you Swt staff out of interest ?.

Scuba

Hi Canman31
No I am not S W T staff, I phoned up on the off chance a few years back and asked for a form. And the rest as they say is history. Now just finishing off a few loose ends before the 8th April. :D
I will keep my fingers crossed for you Dowdy1, you just never know. . . . ;)
Jason

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.