• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T-Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

507 001

Established Member
Hi,
I have a T key for when I'm volunteering on the F&WHR and was wondering what the third fitting is for (the round one)?
Obviously whatever its for isn't actually in widespread use anymore, obviously assuming that it actually has a purpose?
Thanks,
Rob.

oh and before anybody asks, yes I am allowed to have one, and no I wouldn't use it on any NR train. I can't say I won't carry it on an NR train because sometimes I have to get the train to Wales!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On Class 350 Desiros this end is used for resetting the passenger emergency alarm.

455/8

It can also be used to take air off certain doors on certain stock (I'm not going to say which for obvious reasons).

scotsman

Established Member
It's used to open the heating/electrical panels on Mk1 and some Mk2 coaches

507 001

Established Member
So it is still used!
We have no use for it on the 2 foot.
Thanks Guys!

Ticket Man

they open up various panel's on older models of buses (such as a Leyland Olympian) which are still floating around the coastal towns as well.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I use that bit of the key for various duties but generally it is for taking the air out of certain doors on certain types of train-as 455/8 has already pointed out!

sutty

I use that bit of the key for various duties but generally it is for taking the air out of certain doors on certain types of train-as 455/8 has already pointed out!

Question, from a layman. What does it mean, to take air out of doors?

I don't have a t-key, just curious what the phrase means.

Scotrail84

Established Member
It's used to isolate the connecting doors between coaches open/closed on 380 units.

driver9000

Established Member
Question, from a layman. What does it mean, to take air out of doors?

A lot of doors (especially BR era units) are worked by air powered rams. Occasionally they stick open, so to 'take the air out' means to drain the air from the ram in order to close the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.