• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T & W Metro recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gas18

I bet you guys starting after this course cannot wait! I wonder if when you start your course the next 16 will be contacted. Here’s hoping anyway!
True ! but been waiting years to get this far so I’m patient and realise how well we have all done to get this far - judging by previous posts on here think there might be

Cusaeng

I bet you guys starting after this course cannot wait! I wonder if when you start your course the next 16 will be contacted. Here’s hoping anyway!

Fingers crossed. I can’t wait for a start date!.glad it’s going well for those on the first group

Anth82

Pleased you are enjoying it so far doug, keep us updated on how you're finding training mate! Hope to be joining you all soon!!

Gas18

Great news today - next course is in May- just medical now and I’m on it.

Anybody else heard anything?

GBRail

Excellent news! That’s quicker than I thought! I thought it was 6 months between courses. Hopefully the next lot will start to get phone calls soon to start after the May course

GBRail

For those of you who have had medicals.....is it just a case of testing your sight, hearing and ecg? Or do they check your reflexes, chest and get you to bend over and touch your toes kind of thing?

Gary Marshall

Hi all, I’m a new member to the forum and this is my first post. I had my assessment day which I failed, I have a re-sit end of this month and was wondering if anyone can talk me through the full day at Doncaster. I didn’t make it to the afternoon so am in the dark as to what happened, I’m a bit nervous as this is my last shot. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance

Cusaeng

this post was quite good at summing up the day as a whole and I have added a little bit from my fuzzy memory of the day

Stage 1 OPC Assessment

Stage 1 consists of the following paper-based tests:
  • Group Bourdon (Involves highlighting patterns of a set number of dots as quickly and accurately as possible)

• Trainability for Rules & Procedures Parts 1 & 2 (TRP) (Part 1 involves memorising a fictional procedure and answering multiple-choice questions on it. Part 2 involves prioritising dials for inspection)
  • Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment Parts 1,2 & 3 (TEA-Occ) (Part 1 involves finding listings that match a criteria. Part 2 involves counting certain audible tones. Part 3 is a combination of Parts 1 & 2)

Stage 2 OPC Assessment

If successful at Stage 1, you'll eventually do Stage 2, which consists of the following computer-based tests:
  • WAFV Vigilance Test (A test of concentration which involves responding rapidly to a change of appearance of an on-screen object)
  • ATAVT Perception Test (A memory and reaction test to see how much information you retain from a short glance at photos)
  • 2Hand Co-ordination Test (A test of your ability to use two hands together to steer an object through a track with mininal error)
Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE) (A test which asks you to grade how effective certain responses would be to a situation. Your answers to this test will influence questions you'll be asked in the Multi-Modal Interview)

You will be informed of the results of your computer tests. If successful, you will then immediately sit the following:

Multi-Modal Interview (MMI) (A competency based interview in which you'll be asked six set questions about experiences you have had in dealing with different situations, based on the competency profile of a Train Driver. You will be further questioned about your experiences, with your answers to the previous SJE influencing these)

for the metro I also did the
  • Written Communication Test (WCT) (A test which involves you writing a written report to a person, based on a cartoon strip you are given. This test is only run by certain TOCs, but would form part of this assessment if it is required)
  • train driver mechanical comprehension test. this test gave you a number of tests of a similar nature to the ones that the metro did during the assessment day in the format of if cog a turns clockwise what way will cog c turn,

hope this helps. any questions drop me a pm and I will help if I can.

good luck !!!

Gas18

How did you manage to get a re sit?

Metro sent out letters back end of September for everybody that passed the Doncaster assessments and they were placed in a holding pool approx 60 of us.

Are they still sending people down to do asssesments?

In Doncaster I started at 9 and finished around 4.45pm

Last edited:

Gary Marshall

How didn’t you manage to get a re sit?

Metro sent out letters back end of September for everybody that passed the Doncaster assessments and they were placed in a holding pool approx 60 of us.

Are they still sending people down to do asssesments?

In Doncaster I started at 9 and finished now around 4.45pm

I have paid for the re-sit independently. So it was a full day then, I’m looking forward to trying again but nervous

Gas18

Good on you mate - I practiced loads on the material given to us , plus off the web there is material to help you prepare also this forum was a great help.

The day is long and intense best advice I can give is be calm , keep you head clear and concentrate.

Hope it works out for you - Good luck !

Gary Marshall

Good on you mate - I practiced loads on the material given to us , plus off the web there is material to help you prepare also this forum was a great help.

The day is long and intense best advice I can give is be calm , keep you head clear and concentrate.

Hope it works out for you - Good luck !

Thanks mate, any particular websites you can give me heads up on which may help?

Cusaeng

Thanks for that, what time did you get finished at the assessment centre?

I think it was about 15:00 but they couldn’t say exactly what time as it depends how many people make it through to the mmi. Only three of us made it to the end and there were 3 examiners

Gas18

Thanks mate, any particular websites you can give me heads up on which may help?
Just basically googled stuff - found out what other people experienced, printed group bourbon tests out and practiced loads - also some good threads on here with advice if you search it .

Ice Guardian

Hello all. New to this thread and currently in a holding pool for T&W metro.

How's everything going with the current course attendees?
Everyone enjoying it? Challenging so far?

GBRail

Yes mate I am on May course. Went up today to hand in completed forms/contract. Really looking forward to starting

Ice Guardian

Hi all, how's things going for the May inductees?

Anyone heard anything about the next school starting?

Cusaeng

Hi I haven’t heard anything. I did send a message asking if there was any update about start dates and was pretty much told that after the 14th of may start date they didn’t have any further information about future dates.
It’s been pretty quiet on here lately so hopefully we may start to hear something in September time.

Dave

railfan249

Hi I haven’t heard anything. I did send a message asking if there was any update about start dates and was pretty much told that after the 14th of may start date they didn’t have any further information about future dates.
It’s been pretty quiet on here lately so hopefully we may start to hear something in September time.

Dave

Same boat, just a waiting game. Hopefully, fingers crossed, all the 60 in the holding pool should get through in the five years, well on target for that anyway! So looking forward to this so it’s hopefully not gonna be too far away! Just booked a holiday in August as well, so getting back from that and then getting a phone call would be ideal!

Bon

Same here, eagerly awaiting some info or a phone call. I’d heard (unofficially) that there may be a course starting later this year and one early next year, fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.