• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T & W Metro recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug3807

I have just done mine last wed and passed had train booked back to Newcastle for 17.10 there is no pass or fail for the sjt they use info for the mmi

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

doug3807

The application paper sift was brutal then going off them figures! I'm assuming that once the first group of 8 have been started on the 1st course, everyone else who passed both the interview and tests in Doncaster will be held in the 'talent pool' for the next course of 8 and so on etc.... this is how I'm trying to look at it anyway. I'm up tomorrow for interview so keeping fingers crossed everything goes well!
I had my interview on the 24th July as well was yours morning or afternoon

Broot

Does anyone have any information or links to what the medical requirements are?

My only concern is that my BMI will be over. As i understand its its not a hard pass/fail and more of a guide. Its at the discretion of the examiner to say you are "fit".
Ive played Rugby for 15 years for i'm not too concerned if this is the case.

Clarification would be great if anyone knows. i don't really want to ring and pester Nexus.

Thanks.

Davidson4301

I don't know the exact requirements but it's roughly
- urine test (drug and alcohol screening )
- eye sight
- hearing
- ecg (echo cardiogram)
It's all quite straight forward and basic so I wouldnt worry.

Anth82

Just finishing off getting my things together before heading for Doncaster! Practising my group bourdon abilities before hasn't filled me with confidence mind I missed loads but I didn't finish work til 7am this morning so I'm hoping it's that because I've seen a big improvement in my results of late on most of my practice tests.

Any last minute tips from anyone that may be of use would be great for my nerves.

Cusaeng

Good news every one!. I managed to pass the assessment today.
Phew!
As daunting as it was all I can say is try and relax.
I was more concerned regarding the interviews and I found this to be a very relaxing 1 on 1 chat rather than a regular interview interigation

Anth82

Good news every one!. I managed to pass the assessment today.
Phew!
As daunting as it was all I can say is try and relax.
I was more concerned regarding the interviews and I found this to be a very relaxing 1 on 1 chat rather than a regular interview interigation

Well done Cusaeng!!!

Anth82

Pleased to have passed the assessment day today. It was draining but ok and the other candidates there helped the day along to.

Is it the case that all those that pass the medical will be offered a position or is there any other hurdles to negotiate?

Cusaeng

Well done Anth.
As far as I'm aware its references, medical then the offer of a contract.
They said at Doncaster that they don't send the test results to nexus so they can't discriminate between people for start dates.
They did say that nexus likely have an internal scoring matrix that they will use based on application form, interview and our tests that they use.

I think if we are not offered the first start date we then have to have a driver manager interview.

I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

Dave

Gas18

Well done for passing -

Think you're right, but I do think it's the first 8 that have their medical then start the others go into a holding pool and when called up then have their medical and a interview with operations manager.

They told me at the interview that a course was starting in September but that was using people from the last recruitment and had been in the holding pool for three years.

Also said the same when I had my MMI at Doncaster they only tell Nexus if it's a pass or fail - Nexus use the application, interview and exam to score.

Established Member
There will more than likely not be a course starting until the new year as there isn't enough driver instructors to have two courses of 8 running at the same time.

Broot

Last day of phycometrics today - good luck to those.

Hopefully get our letters early next week, would love to make it into the top 8 and get on the next course!

Anth82

Last day of phycometrics today - good luck to those.

Hopefully get our letters early next week, would love to make it into the top 8 and get on the next course!

Yeah same here Broot! Will everyone that has passed the assessment get an offer over the next 3 years then? Not sure how the numbers work. Also is the operations manager interview a pass or fail situation?

Broot

Yeah same here Broot! Will everyone that has passed the assessment get an offer over the next 3 years then? Not sure how the numbers work. Also is the operations manager interview a pass or fail situation?

That's how it was explained to me. Once youre in the talent pool youre guaranteed and offer at some point and you're selected from the pool best > worst based on scores from test and interview. Offer is conditional on medical, references and interview. The interview is basically a casual meet up to check to make sure you havnt had any major changes in circumstances as it could have been years since they last seen you. Not really a pass/fail.

I could be wrong but that was my takeaway from what I was told.

Established Member
I'd add a word of caution here - a talent pool is just that, a pool of candidates that may or may not be used. You aren't guaranteed a job and it all depeneds on the amount of drivers leaving for retirement or going to other companies. The good news is that the talent pool from the last intake has now been fully used up with the current training course, however some of those had been waiting 2 years to start training. Bad news is that although there are drivers due to retire soon, it isn't as many as previous years.

Gas18

In my interview I was told a load of drivers are due to retire soon because we were speaking about the pension details etc - I was told a load are ready and want to retire.

Also at the end of MMI at Doncaster was told that people in the holding pool do get an offer at some point and you just have to patient- he told me the last ones in the holding pool were starting September which turned out to be true , he told me had been doing these exams for Nexus for years.

So getting this far guys I'm keeping the faith so to speak

Anth82

In my interview I was told a load of drivers are due to retire soon because we were speaking about the pension details etc - I was told a load are ready and want to retire.

Also at the end of MMI at Doncaster was told that people in the holding pool do get an offer at some point and you just have to patient- he told me the last ones in the holding pool were starting September which turned out to be true , he told me had been doing these exams for Nexus for years.

So getting this far guys I'm keeping the faith so to speak

I hope you're right Gas! I've no problem waiting patiently, as long as I know I'm in the running. Pleased to have been successful up to now and hopeful that it will progress further soon enough.

ruben

I’ve had my letter today confirming that I’ve passed everything and that I’ve been placed in the holding bank :D

Hope you all receive your letters too!

Gas18

Yes ! Just got my letter also saying all candidates who have passed are placed in holding bank as there is no confirmation of the next training school.

I've waited years for this job so don't mind waiting a bit longer

doug3807

got mine today as well just got to play the waiting game now [emoji16]

Broot

Whoop! got mine too! All candidates into the holding pool.
Although i did think there was course ready for some. Not to worry - great news all round!

Anth82

Still no letter here! I was one of the last assessment days but would have thought they'd all come out together. Getting worried now.

Cusaeng

I only got mine yesterday Anth and I was down the day before you. Wouldn't worry about it :)

Broot

No still nothing! Slightly concerned!

Might be worth an email to them to ask. No harm in asking.

If you still have your letter inviting you to Doncaster there was an email contact for any inquiry's on there i'm sure.

Sure you'll be fine.

Anth82

Yeah I still have the contact details on the letter so may give a quick call tomorrow morning just to make sure nothings up. Cheers Broot

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.