• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tail Lights On

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKing

As I was returning home this afternoon, I noticed that a train, which was departing from an adjacent platform, was showing its tail lights instead of its headlights.

Now, I'm not going to name the TOC or unit involved as I do not want to get anyone into trouble. I'd imagine that it was just a simple mistake.

However, what I am interested to know is how much trouble a driver could actually get into for showing the wrong lights at the front of his/her train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
The first train he passes will probably switch his headlights on and off to get the drivers attention and give him the sign!

Veteran Member
Don't know, but I joined one such service recently, and informed the guard who contacted the driver straight away rather than waiting till the next booked stop. He came back a couple of minutes later to pass on the driver's thanks.

RichardKing

The first train he passes will probably switch his headlights on and off to get the drivers attention and give him the sign!

Oh right. Either that or platform staff will draw his attention to it I'd imagine!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't know, but I joined one such service recently, and informed the guard who contacted the driver straight away rather than waiting till the next booked stop. He came back a couple of minutes later to pass on the driver's thanks.

Now, that is what's called being an excellent (and vigilant) passenger! :D

SPADTrap

Established Member
It depends on the stock I guess, the older stuff still requires a physical check but some of the newer units have a 'proving panel' display in the cab which displays the headlight and remote tail light configurations.

I've had a headlight blow on an Electrostar which after a few seconds will give you a CAT B (yellow) fault along the lines of 'Headlight not illuminated when on running line' to prompt you to change it to the day/night beam, depending which has blown of course!

RichardKing

I sort of assumed this would be interlocked with the reverser. You live and learn!

It's a very logical assumption! It would be helpful in cases like this!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It depends on the stock I guess, the older stuff still requires a physical check but some of the newer units have a 'proving panel' display in the cab which displays the headlight and remote tail light configurations.

I've had a headlight blow on an Electrostar which after a few seconds will give you a CAT B (yellow) fault along the lines of 'Headlight not illuminated when on running line' to prompt you to change it to the day/night beam, depending which has blown of course!

The stock involved does have a proving panel in the cab. :)

I once encountered a cl-323 with pink lights on he rear. The proving panel was blank so I checked the switches and it turned out that both the head and tail lights were on simultaneously.

IIRC on LT 1973 stock the headlights automatically switch off and the taillights switch on (and vice versa) when the driver removes (inserts) their key

83G/84D

Established Member
If the train passed a signalbox the signal staff could inform the driver by GSM-R or if not available by stopping train at a signal and waiting for driver to ring in.

Alternatively I was told that some wave a bardic lamp out the window showing a white light and pat their head as the train passes!!

dk1

Veteran Member
Last couple of times ive forgotten to change the front illumination ive been advised via GSMR after a passing train has advised the signaller. It was commonplace to flash headlights a few years ago but many are worried this will cause the oncoming train to make an emergency brake application such is the fear of doing anything not by the book these days.

Met Driver

Established Member
IIRC on LT 1973 stock the headlights automatically switch off and the taillights switch on (and vice versa) when the driver removes (inserts) their key

All current LUL passenger stock has this feature; A Stock was the last to have manual setting of head/tail lights. 1992 stock is a slight exception in that it continues to show headlights when the key is removed until the cab at the other end is opened up.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Last couple of times ive forgotten to change the front illumination ive been advised via GSMR after a passing train has advised the signaller. It was commonplace to flash headlights a few years ago but many are worried this will cause the oncoming train to make an emergency brake application such is the fear of doing anything not by the book these days.

Flashing headlamps, cab lights and/or destination boards (switches are all fairly close by) just the once is a possibly unusual but somehow satisfying tradition on a particular branch I sign, when greeting the last service train of the day from the second-last ECS and vice versa - therefore there are some lines where you will be given a very strange look if you flash headlamps at other times! Probably better to call the signaller, which is the accepted method taught by my employer.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
To think us drivers used to go disco with front lighting & have a quick chat with each other via the RETB when crossing the East Suffolk until the early 2000s. So few trains across that route then we where just pleased to see another human being :lol:

TailLight

I saw this today at Strood. There was an 8 car class 465 on platform 1, which departed towards Cuxton with white lights on the rear and red at the front! It was however out of service.

Last edited:

TailLight

Doesn't really make a difference, it's still a danger to track workers even if out of service.

Very true. It made me think never to judge which direction a train is traveling simply by the light colour at user operated level crossings and such.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've seen various combinations of incorrect lighting a handful of times over the past 25 years, and always advised the driver directly when possible, otherwise platform staff who usually thank me politely and make a call. I still cringe at model railway exhibitions when a diesel hauling a train has its tail lights on!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will trains have the lights the wrong way round when shunting over a short distance, eg reversing into sidings at a terminus?

MrPIC

Will trains have the lights the wrong way round when shunting over a short distance, eg reversing into sidings at a terminus?
Yeah when making a wrong direction move of less than 400m*, the lighting need not be changed over, so tail light will be at the leading end in this case.
*If memory serves!

Trog

Established Member
If on the line side I would stare meaningfully at the front of the train, and point to my head and tail. That has worked in the past.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member

You don't need to switch the lights over if you are shunting for a distance of less than a quarter of a mile (400 metres). I've found most drivers still switch over anyway, it's good practice.

D1009

Established Member
Was it in the rule book that displaying red lights on the front was a danger signal to trains passing the other way, or have I got that wrong?

FordFocus

Worse case scenario I can think of is the train is doing line speed and is brought down to a red signal. Speak to the signaller who informs you of the incorrect lights. The lights are then correctly displayed and the train proceeds. Possible delay slip for 3 minutes of loss of running.

Some signallers can call you on the GSM-R whilst the train is still moving on clear aspects and it's very simple to sort out. minimal fuss really

tsr

Established Member
Was it in the rule book that displaying red lights on the front was a danger signal to trains passing the other way, or have I got that wrong?

Displaying a red light forward is part of the actions in the event of an accident, but it is known for tail lamps to be displayed on the front of the train in other circumstances (eg. when shunting, as above), so you are far more likely to stop other services with methods such as detonators, flags, hand lamps or hazard lights.

Minilad

Established Member
Worse case scenario I can think of is the train is doing line speed and is brought down to a red signal. Speak to the signaller who informs you of the incorrect lights. The lights are then correctly displayed and the train proceeds. Possible delay slip for 3 minutes of loss of running.

Some signallers can call you on the GSM-R whilst the train is still moving on clear aspects and it's very simple to sort out. minimal fuss really

Except that some TOCs don't allow GSM-R calls to be answered while wheels are turning

Status
Not open for further replies.