• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Take the Car, Not the Train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
.... It was do it on the cheap or not at all.

The electrification is still highly beneficial to operations and was optimised for the demands that were planned to be placed upon it, you can't just expect a corporation with limited resources to gold plate everything.

Two miles "on the cheap" or one mile "done properly".... I know which one I would take, and it doesn't involve any gold plate.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Nope, as I understand it the line west of Bournemouth was done in 1988, which mean it was done specifically to use 5WES units rather than the Mark 1 units that had been used on Weymouth services before then. (Well 4REPs to Bournemouth and then 33 hauled TCs to Weymouth).

That's certainly true. Although I did wonder whether the electrical kit had been built to the same spec as Tonbridge - Hastings.

Status
Not open for further replies.