"Take your coat off" Announcement?

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by westv, 13 Feb 2018.

1. westv

westv Established Member

Was I dreaming or did I really hear a rather hectoring announcement the other day imploring people to remove their coats when using the tube to prevent "overheating" - or something like that?

2. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I'd like to think you were dreaming ( or more accurately having a nightmare ) as a result of reading about the recent bus announcements debacle, but I have a nasty gut feeling, knowing the way things are going these days, that I wouldn't put it past TfL to introduce such an announcement.

Which line did you hear this latest nannying nonsense on?

3. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

Bwahahahahaha! That sounds like one of the spoof announcements Emma Clarke would have done before she got fired :lol:

4. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don’t think it’s nannying at all, it benefits all customers after all. The number of Person Ill On Train incidents continues to increase, and one thing this time of year is that customers board trains at peak times and then faint because they are too hot, delaying the train and potentially injuring themselves and others.

5. westv

westv Established Member

Jubilee line

6. whhistle

whhistle Member

The other question is whether people do it?
    I'd think less than 2 would in a case of 100.

If an announcement told me I needed to go to a different platform, that's fine. One telling me I should take off my coat? Why the hell should I do what you say? You ain't my mamma!

7. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

Exactly. It should be a choice.

8. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

I'd like an announcement for people to first try taking off coat, scarf, globes and hat *before* jumping to opening the hopper window on a freezing cold day.

9. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

A packed tube train is not the easiest of environments to take your coat off let alone then try to find some place to put it. Then there is the risk if you do put it down say on the adjacent seat you then lose it.

10. moogal

moogal Member

Not specifically coats, but I've now heard a couple of Central Line drivers ask people to take rucksacks off on busy trains.

11. NeroWolfe

NeroWolfe Member

Cannot agree more! It's like having a lethal weapon on their back and people seem oblivious to the devastation caused behind them....

12. Tube driver

Tube driver Member

I can see the logic.

While it's bitterly cold out, people tend to 'bundle up' with lots of layers but tend to forget that the tube can still get very hot when it starts to get packed. Doesn't take much for people to feel a bit faint in these situations and then a PEA gets pulled with the potential to cause a delay.

There is no dictat to make this type of PA, I guess a t/op was using a big of initiative. (Bit dangerous on LUL )

13. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

So when do these customers put their coats back on?

On the platform when they get off - that'd create a problem clearing the platform before the next train arrived
    On the escalators - nice and safe
    In the booking hall before going out into the cold - creating a backlog through the barriers and down the escalators

14. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

In front of a gateline or at the top/bottom of an escalator sound like places someone needing an announcement would choose.

15. Nick66

Nick66 Member

The man on the southbound Victoria Line platform in the evening peak says that as well. Quite right too. I always do anyway incidentally.

16. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Heard that at Kings Cross (sub-surface westbound) today for the first time.

17. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It shocks me that people leave their bags on when travelling on a crowded train. Not only are you taking up room that could be used by another customer, and are also at risk of hitting someone when you turn around, you are also at great risk of having your stuff stolen from your bag from someone standing behind you!

18. Dstock7080

Dstock7080 Established Member

Also heard around the system now is (something like):
    “don’t look at your device screen while running or on escalators”

19. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Established Member

Funnily enough, I actually did lose my coat when I took it off on a hot and crowded Victoria line train a couple of months ago. And presumably, because it was hot, I didn't think to put it back on before leaving the train.

Luckily it was a coat that I didn't care much for anyway, so once I'd got over the initial private frustration/embarrassment at losing it, I didn't actually miss it :)

20. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

I was on a CrossCountry train from York to Reading today, I got up from my seat, this kid in his early teens, I’d say a weeny bit younger than me, swung round and almost clobbered me with his backpack :lol: