• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tech support request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Don't know whether this belongs here, but I can't find a tech support area...

Since yesterday Chrome on my Samsung tablet has been saying "the site has redirected you too many times"

Turning off and on, clearing cookies and cache, and typing the address manually, haven't worked. No other of my favourites is affected, nor is my Android phone (Moto), and Firefox is fine (I am using it ATM).

Any words of wisdom, please?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
I can't tell you what the problem is, but I've got the exact same issue on two Android tablets, one Samsung and one Google. I can get into some (not many) pages by typing the full address of the particular page, but trying to move back up the menu structure gives me the error message again.

So far, using my laptop is ok, either with Edge or Chrome.

It's very frustrating, but I'm glad to have confirmation that its not just me!

SargeNpton

Established Member
I believe that there was an issue with un update of Android version of Chrome a few days ago. My my phone it wouldn't install at all, and for some who did manage to install it there were various problems reported.

May be worth while reinstalling/updating it via Google play store/

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If that's started only this week, it will likely be one of two things.

It'll either be related to an issue with an advert or it'll be related to the new system where threads are automatically marked "read" after we have visited them.

DelW

Established Member

It'll either be related to an issue with an advert or it'll be related to the new system where threads are automatically marked "read" after we have visited them.
It started at about 7pm yesterday (8th) for me. Prior to that everything was fine, though I did note that the change to marking threads as read after using the back button seemed to have been sometimes working and sometimes not for a day or two.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I've been getting similar symptoms using Chrome on my iPad so it's not Android-specific

DelW

Established Member
As a work around on my Samsung tablet, using the Samsung browser instead of Chrome seems to work ok, which might help the OP if his tablet has that option.
Don't know whether this belongs here, but I can't find a tech support area...

Since yesterday Chrome on my Samsung tablet has been saying "the site has redirected you too many times"

Turning off and on, clearing cookies and cache, and typing the address manually, haven't worked. No other of my favourites is affected, nor is my Android phone (Moto), and Firefox is fine (I am using it ATM).

Any words of wisdom, please?

Thanks

AY1975

Established Member
Not sure whether this belongs in this thread or warrants a separate thread but I've been having difficulty logging into Rail Forums for the last two days, whether I use my PC, laptop or phone. It now seems to be working again on my PC but I still have the same problem when I try to log in on my phone.

When I tried to log in, it didn't seem to think I had logged in after I entered my username and password and clicked on the Enter button. I tried resetting my password but that made no difference.

After a while I found that it did appear to think I had logged in, but when I clicked on the bell icon in the top right-hand corner it said you must be logged in to do that, and no matter how many times I tried to log in again the same thing happened.

I sent Rail Forums a message by clicking on "contact us" at the bottom of the page and using the online contact form but haven't had a reply yet. As I'd been locked out of my account, that was the only way of contacting them. Now that I can log onto my account again, maybe I had better contact a moderator to explain the problem.

Has anyone else had any similar problems? I'm guessing that it might be an interface problem with the web browser that I'm using.

skyhigh

Established Member
My laptop now won't let me visit the site on Edge or Chrome (both standard and incognito windows).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just been locked out of site home page on “too many redirections” on an iPad with Safari. Able to log in by going to a sub-forum’s address.

Ediswan

Established Member
Just been locked out of site home page on “too many redirections” on an iPad with Safari. Able to log in by going to a sub-forum’s address.
Likewise using Firefox under Windows 10. Sub-forums and threads fine, home page "isn't redirecting properly".

Geezertronic

Established Member
I just had to log back in for the first time since I last cleared my browser settings (Chrome - which was probably a year ago). Logged back in fine once I remembered my password

nlogax

Established Member
I too have noticed issues this week. Across all browsers going to the homepage is met with 'RailUK Forums may not be available' error until I switch VPN endpoint from my work laptop. Only started a couple of days ago.

Have already sent a general contact query about this to wherever they go on the forum. I'm wondering if all these issues are related.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I haven't noticed any particular issues, although I when I returned to this tab, I had to log in again. I'm currently using Chrome on Android. I suspect there is some tinkering going on behind the scenes.

66701GBRF

Likewise using Firefox under Windows 10. Sub-forums and threads fine, home page "isn't redirecting properly".

Same here in Opera and Windows 10. Also noticed that when I finally got to the home page I had been logged out.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Should now be fixed I'm assured by our tech team. There was some issues with some of our domain redirects which was causing things to hang. This has now been fixed but may take a few hours to percolate through the various parts of the internet infrastructure that make all this stuff work. Apologies for any inconvenience!

Veteran Member
Should now be fixed I'm assured by our tech team. There was some issues with some of our domain redirects which was causing things to hang. This has now been fixed but may take a few hours to percolate through the various parts of the internet infrastructure that make all this stuff work. Apologies for any inconvenience!
Thank you, whoever it was. I have just opened the site in Chrome, forgetting that it wasn't working... :)

Ediswan

Established Member

I note that 'marked read' has reverted to its previous behaviour, so it looks like that change has been backed out. However, that does not mean it definitely was the cause of the problem. If a service becomes unstable, backing out any recent changes is well-known tactic, even if they are eventually found not to be the cause of the problem. (Some changes are easier to back out than others.)

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm still seeing issues this morning in both Edge & Chrome on Windows 10. Its just the forum Home page that isn't working, all subpages seem OK.

jfollows

Established Member
I am able to access http://railforums.co.uk and https://railforums.co.uk using Safari on Mac OS, after clearing various saved pieces of information, but when I click on the logo "RailUKforums" at the top left this tries to send me to http://www.railforums.co.uk and fails with "too many redirections" errors.

This may be a problem unique to me or of my own making, but I wanted to mention it in case it's not.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I am able to access http://railforums.co.uk and https://railforums.co.uk using Safari on Mac OS, after clearing various saved pieces of information, but when I click on the logo "RailUKforums" at the top left this tries to send me to http:/www.railforums.co.uk and fails with "too many redirections" errors.

This may be a problem unique to me or of my own making, but I wanted to mention it in case it's not.
No, this seems to be a common problem, I'm having the same.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I am able to access http://railforums.co.uk and https://railforums.co.uk using Safari on Mac OS, after clearing various saved pieces of information, but when I click on the logo "RailUKforums" at the top left this tries to send me to http:/www.railforums.co.uk and fails with "too many redirections" errors.

Same here, Firefox on Ubuntu.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yesterdays problem appeared fixed for me after post #17, but has returned this morning, first attempt to view being about 1045. Am again only able to access the forum using links to individual sub forums found in browser history.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I find that I can't get on at home today either on Chrome or Firefox.

Android Lite phone is working ( or I wouldn't be able to post this! )

najaB

Veteran Member
If you are able, clear your DNS cache. On Windows go to the command line (right-click on the start button and select Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell) and then in the command window type "ipconfig /flushdns" or for PowerShell "Clear-DNSClientCache".

This may help if there's a bad DNS entry being stored.

Status
Not open for further replies.