• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Teenagers enter the London Overground train cab and play with the driver's switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWW

Established Member
When I was a kid Merseyrail drivers and guards usually left the door wide open when changing ends. I did go and have a look through the door once but didn't go in. There almost seemed to be an invisible force field even for the scallies!

Last year I got on one of the Belgian EMUs with corridor connections between the units.

I walked down the coach, opened the door at the end and went into the other unit.

Except that I didn't. The two units were physically together but not actually coupled and I suddenly found myself in the cab.

I backed out again quickly.

That's the only time I've been in a train cab uninvited!

I presume that it should have been locked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Cab security requires an urgent review.
T-Key access is far too easy.
Imagine someone being able to access a driving cab whilst a train is moving.
On those 378 units if they accessed via the internal door it's BR1 not T key , it's a T key for the external cab doors.

Trainrave

On those 378 units if they accessed via the internal door it's BR1 not T key , it's a T key for the external cab doors.
Ah, understood. I’m not familiar with the traction.

I’m only a few years into my driving career. When I started I was surprised how easy access could be gained to a driving cab, with widely used standard keys and very basic knowledge.

Realistically, what can be done to address this issue?

As others have pointed out, thousands of people from all grades legitimately have access to keys and losses are likely.

I am passionate about safety, particularly the personal safety of traincrew and passengers and I am interested to hear reasonable suggestions that could be taken forward to make a positive change.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
Key fob things like blocks of flats have, which are presumably like keyless for cars or RFID cards.
Presumably easier than keeping track of and issuing physical unique keys, and you can cancel them as fast as you can update the trains.
What sort of coverage would a guard/driver need - ie how many depots worth of trains would need updating?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Key fob things like blocks of flats have, which are presumably like keyless for cars or RFID cards.
Presumably easier than keeping track of and issuing physical unique keys, and you can cancel them as fast as you can update the trains.
RFID are extremely vulnerable to duplication/extension or whatever. The locks are also normally electromagnets and therefore can be defeated with a powerful enough magnet. A further problem is the update speed of a mobile fleet - you would usually need to wait until the train got back to the depot to do it. And the requirement for power means that it would either be held hard down or hard open in the event of a power failure, so you'll still need a mechanical override.
What sort of coverage would a guard/driver need - ie how many depots worth of trains would need updating?
Not sure on this one, but LO would presumably want their entire fleet so fitted for consistency. Which is 111 units, so 222 cabs to fit.

Meerkat

Established Member
RFID are extremely vulnerable to duplication/extension or whatever. The locks are also normally electromagnets and therefore can be defeated with a powerful enough magnet.
Not such an issue as that sort of tech is worth it to steal a Range Rover, not so much just to muck about.
A further problem is the update speed of a mobile fleet - you would usually need to wait until the train got back to the depot to do it.
True, but the only really urgent case is for a new driver who I assume dont just appear out of nowhere and start driving trains that day. Not like an office where you may need to revoke someone's access right now for security reasons.
And the requirement for power means that it would either be held hard down or hard open in the event of a power failure, so you'll still need a mechanical override.
That is tricky. It would have to fail open so as not to trap the crew. How much power do they need in terms of having a little battery that would last hours?
Not sure on this one, but LO would presumably want their entire fleet so fitted for consistency. Which is 111 units, so 222 cabs to fit.
I was thinking more in terms of the speed in getting them all updated for new staff, lost key fobs etc

What do bus companies, Eddie Stobart etc do? I guess its the swapping over of drivers that makes things trickier, unless the key fob is handed on each time and gets kept at the stabling point.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Not such an issue as that sort of tech is worth it to steal a Range Rover, not so much just to muck about.
Depends on how you do it, but the issue would be it only takes one person to get a copy of authorised credentials and they can blow the thing wide open without you knowing until after they've gone.
'It's not worth it to muck about' tends to end up leaving egg on face as people see insecure locks as a temptation or a challenge.
True, but the only really urgent case is for a new driver who I assume dont just appear out of nowhere and start driving trains that day. Not like an office where you may need to revoke someone's access right now for security reasons.
No, the most urgent case would be for a driver who loses their key fob or gets it stolen. I'm presuming that if you used this system on trains you'd also use it on the driver Depot access and so forth.
That is tricky. It would have to fail open so as not to trap the crew. How much power do they need in terms of having a little battery that would last hours?
I don't know but I can't imagine it will need much, although trickier if it has to fail open.
I was thinking more in terms of the speed in getting them all updated for new staff, lost key fobs etc
Once they're fitted, the data download wouldn't take long at all. The change in the system would take very little time, and it just depends on the update cycle (which could in theory be expedited if needed) to make sure the credential list is updated.
What do bus companies, Eddie Stobart etc do? I guess its the swapping over of drivers that makes things trickier, unless the key fob is handed on each time and gets kept at the stabling point.
Truckers tend to stay with their trucks mainly so changeover isn't a problem. Bus drivers do change over but of course only have 1 cab so it's easier to ensure it's supervised.

greatkingrat

Established Member
In the case of the Class 378s, it doesn't matter how secure the key is if you can just break the glass to enter the cab.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In the case of the Class 378s, it doesn't matter how secure the key is if you can just break the glass to enter the cab.

This is a fair point (same for other trains where an emergency exit is through the cab, e.g. Merseyrail), however it's of note that on the video the glass of the emergency opener does not appear to be broken, so they got in some other way, e.g. it not being closed properly or them having a key.

Meerkat

Established Member
Depends on how you do it, but the issue would be it only takes one person to get a copy of authorised credentials and they can blow the thing wide open without you knowing until after they've gone.
How would they get a copy, apart from stealing one? Lot of effort for not much, and much more secure than keys you can buy on the internet.
No, the most urgent case would be for a driver who loses their key fob or gets it stolen.
If it is a tag with a code the the vast majority of folk wouldn't know what it was or did, it will get rescinded at some point, and wont open every train everywhere,so the risk is still far less than a t-key
Once they're fitted, the data download wouldn't take long at all. The change in the system would take very little time, and it just depends on the update cycle (which could in theory be expedited if needed) to make sure the credential list is updated.
What sort of data download would it be - I was thinking it would be kept separate from train software for security reasons and to enable quicker updates without waiting for an update cycle.

zwk500

Veteran Member
How would they get a copy, apart from stealing one? Lot of effort for not much, and much more secure than keys you can buy on the internet.
And yet, people make the effort to get into the cabs in the first place. People steal credentials for many reasons.
If it is a tag with a code the the vast majority of folk wouldn't know what it was or did, it will get rescinded at some point, and wont open every train everywhere,so the risk is still far less than a t-key
It won't take a lot of observation to work out what the driver is using to access the cab and driver depots etc. The risk is less than a T-Key but you can swap the keys out for something else less vulnerable.
What sort of data download would it be - I was thinking it would be kept separate from train software for security reasons and to enable quicker updates without waiting for an update cycle.
The electronic tag reader would need either a continuous secure connection to a central server (not easy at, say, Dalston Junction) or a local copy of the authorisations list. The easiest way to do that would be to have it as a separate part of the TMS that is updated each night on a download when it gets back to the depot.

Meerkat

Established Member
The electronic tag reader would need either a continuous secure connection to a central server (not easy at, say, Dalston Junction) or a local copy of the authorisations list. The easiest way to do that would be to have it as a separate part of the TMS that is updated each night on a download when it gets back to the depot.
I had assumed that downloads to the TMS were too tightly controlled, for obvious reasons, for updates that often.

The advantage of a fob/RFID card is that they can be disabled, and are harder to copy, unlike physical keys.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Perhaps we should think ourselves lucky that this wasn't like that notorious case on the New York City Subway, where a young lad (who if memory serves was on the autism spectrum) stole a subway train and took it for a spin... then again, that kid actually drove pretty well by all accounts, stuck to the schedule and drove in line with the rulebook (apart from the obvious bit about stealing the train in the first place).

zwk500

Veteran Member
I had assumed that downloads to the TMS were too tightly controlled, for obvious reasons, for updates that often.
It wouldn't be part of the actual diagnostics and whatever, but AIUI ETCS will require regular downloads for ESRs and TSRs.
The advantage of a fob/RFID card is that they can be disabled, and are harder to copy, unlike physical keys.
A RFID can be copied without physically touching it, unlike a physical key. And they can only be disabled by updating the list of permissions, which requires access to the system and a refresh of the list. not impossible but it's not a click of the fingers job. In an office it's nearly instantaneous because all the RFID readers will be wired in. Not the case on a train.
Perhaps we should think ourselves lucky that this wasn't like that notorious case on the New York City Subway, where a young lad (who if memory serves was on the autism spectrum) stole a subway train and took it for a spin... then again, that kid actually drove pretty well by all accounts, stuck to the schedule and drove in line with the rulebook (apart from the obvious bit about stealing the train in the first place).
As there was no driver's key (which is different from the T-Key to enter the cab) there was no danger of these kids making the train move. The bigger danger would be blowing the emergency brake and sitting the train down until it had built up the air again.

Trackman

Established Member
Video has been removed, any other links to it?
Not a good thing to play in train cabs and remember that lad in the rear Pendolino cab blowing the horn ? He got jail time.

sjoh

For anyone interested - it's an absolutely wild story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_McCollum

BJames

Established Member
Video has been removed, any other links to it?
Not a good thing to play in train cabs and remember that lad in the rear Pendolino cab blowing the horn ? He got jail time.
Perhaps the person who originally recorded it realised that this being on social media for everyone to see was not the brightest idea. Or maybe BTP have been in touch...?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Perhaps the person who originally recorded it realised that this being on social media for everyone to see was not the brightest idea. Or maybe BTP have been in touch...?
Tiktok probably removed it for breaching its terms of service.

boiledbeans2

I recently encountered an unlocked 378 door as well.

A few months back, I was on probably carriage 4 of the 5-car Class 378, on the South London Line heading to Clapham Junction. There were frequent loud 'bangs' coming from the back of the train. So I walked to carriage 5 to discover that the cab door (the one separating the driver and passengers) was opening and closing from the acceleration and decceleration of the train. So everytime the train started decelerating, the door would shut with a bang. The emergency handle to open that door was untouched, so it was unlikely a random anti-social passenger opened the door.

For a moment, I thought if I should report the unlocked door. It was actually a late night train heading to Clapham Junction. If I reported it, the train would be delayed and I would miss an SWR connection from Clapham. So I took no action and just stood near the door and watched the scenery from the rear of the train (like a crank would). No passengers seemed to care at all, there were busy with their phones, chatting, on headphones, etc.

The train arrived at Clapham without incident. At that point, I thought there was no need to report it. When the driver changed ends, he would discover the problem anyway.

So back to the incident at the beginning of this thread - it may be that the door was unlocked and the youths were there at the right place and right time. There was probably no T-key. It seems they entered the cab from the passenger saloon and then later opened the cab-to-platform door.

AdamWW

Established Member
For a moment, I thought if I should report the unlocked door. It was actually a late night train heading to Clapham Junction. If I reported it, the train would be delayed and I would miss an SWR connection from Clapham. So I took no action and just stood near the door and watched the scenery from the rear of the train (like a crank would). No passengers seemed to care at all, there were busy with their phones, chatting, on headphones, etc.

I've seen passengers happily sitting in a tube train carriage with a completely smashed window and nobody appeared to have done anything.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I quite like the video and it’s made me laugh. Nobodies been harmed and yes it’s a bit antisocial, but let’s just keep some context with it
The behaviour, if at least some of them, is totally unacceptable; however it's the other videos which really show just how concerning these individuals behaviour can be.
- the ridiculous correlations between the breakdown of society or fights at school or even worse, sexual assault - are unbelievably brainless comments to make. You are strongly diminishing how unbelievably serious these things are - where’s the link? It’s purile culture war behaviour that has no place in society.
I agree that some of these remarks are unhelpful, however it is true to say that antisocial behaviour of the sort depicted in the videos on the channel (which I observed does include at least one assault) can lead to more serious acts, and indeed done of the channel's other videos demonstrates that.
The reality is the BR key is far too easy to access regardless of how they got it - it’s the stupidity of ‘not my problem hub’ that has seeped through railway culture. They could have sorted a proper technical solution a long time ago yet refused to do so. We don’t have the same key for every ambulance across London otherwise there would be pandemonium and some real issues.
That's a perfectly reasonable view which many would agree with.
Not some kids having a go on the tones.
Kids having a go at the tones is one thing, but teenagers making boisterous announcements which could make people feel unsafe takes it to another level in my opinion.

Sebastian O

The behaviour, if at least some of them, is totally unacceptable; however it's the other videos which really show just how concerning these individuals behaviour can be.

I agree that some of these remarks are unhelpful, however it is true to say that antisocial behaviour of the sort depicted in the videos on the channel (which I observed does include at least one assault) can lead to more serious acts, and indeed done of the channel's other videos demonstrates that.

That's a perfectly reasonable view which many would agree with.

Kids having a go at the tones is one thing, but teenagers making boisterous announcements which could make people feel unsafe takes it to another level in my opinion.
Totally unacceptable by your standard? And which standard is that?

The other videos bear nothing on the video in a sense. I would have probably made silly and stupid actions at a young age - just because you find them offensive, doesn’t mean they are offensive.

Is the colour of those in the video offensive? Would you have the same response if they were white?

Kids who are playing around on trains clearly have nothing else to do, so there’s evidentially a social issue going on here.

Your comments are unbalanced to the reality of the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Totally unacceptable by your standard? And which standard is that?
I think most people would find the behaviour unacceptable.
The other videos bear nothing on the video in a sense.
In a sense? I refer you to the above comments.
I would have probably made silly and stupid actions at a young age - just because you find them offensive, doesn’t mean they are offensive.
But equally if you find any actions to be unoffensive, that doesn't mean they aren't offensive.
Is the colour of those in the video offensive?
No; why would it be?
Would you have the same response if they were white?
Yes; why wouldn't it be?

Are you making an accusation against me?

Incidentally some of those who appeared to be seen exiting the cab were white, but what difference does that make? No-one else has mentioned skin colour and I don't see how it's relevant.
Kids who are playing around on trains clearly have nothing else to do, so there’s evidentially a social issue going on here.
Yes, there is.
Your comments are unbalanced to the reality of the video.
In your opinion.

D365

Veteran Member
Nobody's been harmed... but are we really ignoring the fact that a train cab is a safety critical environment where those with malicious intent could do worse than just criminal damage.

Thank goodness we within the industry do destructive [anti-vandal] security testing.

L401CJF

Established Member
When I was a kid Merseyrail drivers and guards usually left the door wide open when changing ends. I did go and have a look through the door once but didn't go in. There almost seemed to be an invisible force field even for the scallies!
Still quite often the case on the Wirral Line (can't comment on Northern Line as I rarely use it), very common to see the cab doors left open at the terminus but in all the years I've been using the network I've never seen anybody go near it or bat an eyelid.

During the covid service when everything was 6 car I went on a few sets where the door to the middle cab was open sliding around, again nobody batted an eyelid. I did inform the guard on one occasion who came and locked it up, only for it to open again a stop later! I think the latch was worn out and it wasn't catching properly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Still quite often the case on the Wirral Line (can't comment on Northern Line as I rarely use it), very common to see the cab doors left open at the terminus but in all the years I've been using the network I've never seen anybody go near it or bat an eyelid.

During the covid service when everything was 6 car I went on a few sets where the door to the middle cab was open sliding around, again nobody batted an eyelid. I did inform the guard on one occasion who came and locked it up, only for it to open again a stop later! I think the latch was worn out and it wasn't catching properly.

For most of the 90s they weren't locked anyway, the break glass on the handle was missing so you could if so minded just open it, or from outside use the butterfly. Nobody ever did though.

apinnard

Not the first time this sort of thing has happened. The then notorious “GU7 Crew” from the Farmcombe area were well known for breaking into rear or intermediate cabs on 444/450s around the Guildford to Haslemere section of the Portsmouth direct in around 2019. It caused a lot of anxiety and anger with train crew at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.