• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telegraph: Train fares set to rise as ticket system overhauled

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynn80

Established Member
*Regrets ever opening his mouth*

I thought I'd made it clear in my original posting. Let me explain it again...

The changes will benefit me as I get less restrictions and more flexible return options on an Anytime Return ticket for the same price as the current Standard Day Return ticket for Wigan-Lancaster

If you think I'm going to be worse off then so be it.

But you must accept that not everyone is going to be worse off with these changes, and I for one am not convinced that I am going to be worse off come next week than I am now. Not everyone uses/eligible to use a railcard you know, and neither do they all necessarily travel during the peak period, and you seem to be peddling the same arguments all the time based on scenarios that only a percentage of rail users will be directly affected by.

Nothing personal mate, just explaining the situation how I see it.

The following should illustrate the point being made by myself and also show alex57601 what were are saying.

All of the these fares are ignoring the minimum fare as alex57601 said he didn't travel at peak times so won't be affected by these.

The railcard fares before were as follows-
Standard Day Return £8.25
(valid at anytime for travel with outward and return portion on same day)
Saver Return £8.90
(valid at anytime for travel- outward portion valid for one day, return portion valid for one calendar month)

The fares after are like this:
Anytime Day Return £8.25
(valid at anytime for travel with outward and return portion on same day)
Anytime Return £8.90
(valid at anytime for travel- outward portion valid for one day, return portion valid for one calendar month)

You stated the following

"The changes will benefit me as I get less restrictions and more flexible return options on an Anytime Return ticket for the same price as the current Standard Day Return ticket for Wigan-Lancaster"

How are you getting less restrictions, the Saver was never restricted on this route? Also how do you get more flexible return options, you could of always purchased a Saver Return which would of been valid for return travel within a month so why did you never purchase this ticket instead of the Standard Day Return and finally the Anytime Return is certainly not the same price as the old Standard Day Return, it is the same price as the old Saver Return.

Also noone is saying everyone is being affected, people are saying that 16-25 Railcard holders are affected end of story, even though its a small percentage the publicity states there will be no fare rises.

Personally I think you need to accept you are trying to argue points with which you have done no research and you have no expertise in

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex57601

The situation is that you could of always purchased a Saver Return which would of been valid for return travel within a month so why did you never purchase this ticket instead of the Standard Day Return?

I think you need to accept you are trying to argue points with which you have done no research and you have no expertise in

I have never had to buy a Saver Return as of yet, plus the Standard Day Return is currently the cheapest ticket to return in a day.

I will be getting less restrictions when the new system comes in as the Anytime Return is the same as the current Open Return and the fare will be the same as the current Saver Return. There are less restrictions in an Open Return than a Saver Return, hence the current higher price tag.

Also what points do I have to accept? The way I see it is that the changes will benefit me and I have done my research to prove the theory that you have, if you're going to sink to that sort of cockiness.

No? Then how about waiting until the changes have been implemented, and see whether passengers are well and truly worse off and whether I am shafted for the Wigan-Lancaster fares as far as my needs are concerned, then maybe I'll buy into your argument after that.

I really cannot be bothered arguing with you both any more, as you both clearly seem to harp on about the negatives and deliberately ignore the positives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have never had to buy a Saver Return as of yet, plus the Standard Day Return is currently the cheapest ticket to return in a day.

I will be getting less restrictions when the new system comes in as the Anytime Return is the same as the current Open Return and the fare will be the same as the current Saver Return. There are less restrictions in an Open Return than a Saver Return, hence the current higher price tag.

Also what points do I have to accept? The way I see it is that the changes will benefit me and I have done my research to prove the theory that you have, if you're going to sink to that sort of cockiness.

No? Then how about waiting until the changes have been implemented, and see whether passengers are well and truly worse off and whether I am shafted for the Wigan-Lancaster fares as far as my needs are concerned, then maybe I'll buy into your argument after that.

I really cannot be bothered arguing with you both any more, as you both clearly seem to harp on about the negatives and deliberately ignore the positives.

I really don't think you're reading what people are saying. It's already been mentioned several times that the open return conditions are being scrapped - forget it, it's gone! The new anytime return will have identical restrictions to the current saver return, with the prices being identical at £8.90, so in other words, there is absolutely no change to the restrictions on your tickets. The price will be the same, the ticket will be the same, just with a different name. The only difference is there is no longer an open return, which in a way is actually a bad thing, and more restrictive. I'm sorry, but I can't see a more simple way of explaining it.

glynn80

Established Member

Please read what Max has said above as he has got it in one.

I never said you had to purchase a Saver YOU said you will now be getting "more flexible return options on an Anytime Return ticket for the same price as the current Standard Day Return ticket for Wigan-Lancaster" well you won't be getting more flexible return options on either ticket- they are exactly the same as they were before.

If you really would like some lessons in how the fares structure does work please contact me via PM as really you have no clue.

alex57601

I really don't think you're reading what people are saying. It's already been mentioned several times that the open return conditions are being scrapped - forget it, it's gone! The new anytime return will have identical restrictions to the current saver return, with the prices being identical at £8.90, so in other words, there is absolutely no change to the restrictions on your tickets. The price will be the same, the ticket will be the same, just with a different name. The only difference is there is no longer an open return, which in a way is actually a bad thing, and more restrictive. I'm sorry, but I can't see a more simple way of explaining it.

Fair play, and kudos for explaining it in simple terms.

However, I still maintain that I don't see how I will be worse off than now, and the little debate that has been going on appeared to be centred around a refusal of acceptance of my circumstances and the way I see it, as I interpreted the arguments being put forward as suggesting that there will be changes that will affect me, which in fact won't affect me at all...if anything.

Each to their own I suppose, and I consider that to be a closed matter now.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

However, I still maintain that I don't see how I will be worse off than now, and the little debate that has been going on appeared to be centred around a refusal of acceptance of my circumstances and the way I see it, as I interpreted the arguments being put forward as suggesting that there will be changes that will affect me, which in fact won't affect me at all...if anything.

I think for you personally, it won't have any impact. For me it's going to make train travel before 10am virtually unaffordable, but that's a different matter.

glynn80

Established Member

Nobody was disputing the fact that you wouldn't be WORSE off but the fact you were claiming you'd be BETTER off. But well now the matter is closed I'm glad Max was able to explain it clearly enough, excellent.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Northern have refused to correct their website, they do not acknowledge that the price rises for anyone as 16-25 card holders have been taking advantage of an "anomaly" allowing them to discounts on fares below £16 before 10am for "leisure journeys".

First class

Established Member
This whole situation would be much better if the tickets did have restrictions printed on them, fare simplification is good, but can be confusing if all your ticket says, (like now), "SEE RESTRICTNS" . Ok, I would like to see them, but they're a bloody nightmare to find when you've just bought a ticket...

Status
Not open for further replies.